High School Baseball: La Serna takes season series with win

By John Sherrard, Correspondent

WHITTIER – The dust has finally settled on the California and La Serna high school baseball teams’ three-game Del Rio League series.

And what a series it was.

The teams played to a 6-6 tie last month and Wednesday, La Serna edged the Condors, 1-0.

On Friday, La Serna scored two runs in the fifth inning, breaking a 4-4 tie, and defeated visiting California 6-4 to remain in the hunt for first place in league with El Rancho

El Rancho remains a half-game in front of La Serna (10-6-2, 5-1-1) after beating Santa Fe 9-1 Friday.

“We had a lot of guys clutch up, hitting-wise,” La Serna coach Anthony Gonzales Jr. said. “You can’t just pick one guy.”

Lancers sophomore starting pitcher Preston Brown allowed only one base runner on an infield single by junior Jesse Perdomo in the first four innings before faltering in the fifth when California (10-6-1, 4-2-1) scored four runs.

Leading the way for La Serna was junior catcher Mark Abbate with two hits, a run scored and an RBI.

Senior center fielder Kyle Goethe had a big hit in the third for the Lancers – a three-run, two-out double that gave La Serna a 3-0 lead.

“Kyle has just been tremendous all year long. He has been very consistent and even-keel and came up huge again,” Gonzales said.

Goethe scored the fourth run on a single to left by Abbate.

“It’s a great win for the team,” Goethe said. “It was a huge series for us. It feels great. I’m just so happy right now.”

The Condors finally broke through with four runs of their own in the fifth inning, on five hits, to tie the game, 4-4.

Junior Robert Blount started the hit parade with a single to center, followed by another single from Robert Barraza (2 for 3, run scored) and senior Jesse Oropeza drove in Blount for the first run.

Barraza and Oropeza came in on RBI singles by shortstop Anthony Von Slomski (2 for 3, RBI) and senior catcher Daniel Marquez, respectively. Von Slomski came in for the fourth run on an infield error.

La Serna answered with two go-ahead runs in the bottom half of the inning to lead 6-4.

Goethe walked, went to third on a single to left by Abbate and came home on a single from first baseman Ryan Cordova. Brandon Ramos, who pinch ran for Abbate, scored an insurance run for La Serna on an infield out.

Junior Gavin Calender picked up his second save in the last two games, closing out the seventh inning.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Email