La Mirada’s 43-14 season-opening loss to Tesoro last week knocked the Matadores from the No. 1 ranking in the Whittier Daily News’ area Top 10 poll, where they have been replaced by La Serna.
The Lancers earned a convincing 27-10 victory over Vista of the San Diego Section to get to 1-0. Following its 26-3 throttling of El Toro, La Habra moved from third to second this week, ahead of the same La Mirada team it will meet Friday. Kickoff is 7 p.m. at La Mirada.
This Week’s Top 10
1. La Serna (1-0) – The Lancers’ Week 0 victory was their 13th in their last 15 games.
Friday vs. Los Osos at Cal High
2. La Habra (1-0) – Sophomore QB Barriere tossed three TDs in his varsity debut.
Friday at La Mirada
3. La Mirada (0-1) – Penalties and turnovers stopped the Matadores in their tracks last week.
Friday vs. La Habra
4. Santa Fe (1-0) – The Chiefs will play their first “home” game of the season this week.
Friday vs. Esperanza at El Rancho High
5. Whittier Christian (1-0) – The Heralds ran for four TDs last week vs. Bishop.
Friday at Cantwell-Sacred Heart
6. Cal (0-0) – The Condors make their debut this week.
Thursday vs. Montebello
7. El Rancho (1-0) – The competition level rises significantly this week for the Dons.
Friday at Diamond Ranch
8. Schurr (0-0) – Buena Park is a tough first opponent. Just ask St. Paul.
Friday vs. Buena Park
9. St. Paul (0-1) – The Swordsmen’s schedule only gets tougher from here.
Thursday vs. Mater Dei at Santa Ana Stadium
10. Montebello (0-1) – The Oilers haven’t beaten Cal since 2010.
Thursday at Cal