With the start of Suburban League play came La Mirada’s first victory of the season Friday in a 49-14 rout of Bellflower at home.
The Matadores improved to 1-4 after a nonleague schedule that included a pair of Pac-5 Division opponents (Tesoro and Servite) and the Southwest Division’s top-ranked team as well (La Habra). They should move to 2-0 in league play next week against John Glenn and retain at least a share of first place.
Schurr also secured its first victory of the season, knocking off Cal 17-15 at home. Pioneer suffered just its second loss of the season, 42-7 to Montebello, but will be without the services of quarterback Jonathan Jimenez and running back Christian Red for the rest of the season. Jimenez had season-ending foot surgery Thursday after being injured against Mountain View, and Red suffered a broken right leg on the opening kickoff of Friday’s game.
1. La Habra (4-1): Defeated Gahr 43-14
2. La Serna (3-2): Lost to Norco 37-21
3. Santa Fe (3-1): Bye
4. La Mirada (1-4): Defeated Bellflower 49-14
5. Whittier Christian (3-2): Lost to Salisian 54-24
6. El Rancho (2-3): Lost to Troy 36-34
7. Cal (1-3): Lost to Schurr 17-15
8. Montebello (2-3): Defeated Pioneer 42-7
9. Whittier (2-2): Bye
10. Pioneer (3-2): Lost to Montebello 42-7
Other scores from Friday
Bishop Amat 49, St. Paul 10
Cathedral 42, Cantwell-Sacred Heart 13