WHITTIER DAILY NEWS TOP TEN FOOTBALL RANKINGS
1. La Mirada (7-2) — The Mats have not only dominated the Suburban League, they’ve dropped the 35-point mercy rule on each of its five league opponents, and the trend likely continues next week, and I’ll bet a few rounds in the playoffs.
2. La Serna (5-3) — The Lancers have had three easy wins since Del Rio League play began. I expect La Serna to run the table in league play, but the next two weeks could be a little closer, even Friday when the Lancers renew their rivalry with Cal.
3. La Habra (4-4) — All good things must come to an end, and that includes the Highlanders league win streak, which ended at 47 games at the hands of the Freeway’s new king — Buena Park. The question can La Habra do any damage in the postseason?
4. Montebello (7-1) — The Oilers are quitely enjoying another strong season. They can clinch a share of their fourth Almont League title on Friday with the expected win over San Gabriel, which also positions them strong for a playoff run. Is this the year for a divisional title? They are in the running.
5. Santa Fe (4-4) — The have shown the heart of a champion, rallying for wins the past two weeks. They should have an easy one over Pioneer this week. But can they hang with La Serna next week? They’ll have to prove me wrong.
6. St. Paul (3-5) — The Swordsmen’s playoff hopes dwindle with each passing week. They can stop the bleeding with a win at Salesian. But are they up to the task?
7. Schurr (5-3) — This could be a scary team in the postseason. Beware of Sparta!
8. Whittier Chr. (5-4) — The Heralds are another team that could be scary in the postseason, if they get there. But as good as the offense has been, the defense hasn’t been up to snuff against good opponents. That has to change.
9. Whittier (4-4) — The Cardinals, after losing their first two in league against arguably the top two teams in the league, are trying to make another late playoff push. But will it work like last year. We’ll find out.
10. California (4-4) — The Condors have looked better, but last week’s late setback severely damaged their playoff hopes. An upset vs. La Serna will help. But can we expect it? I think not.
Others: 11. El Rancho (2-6), 12. Cantwell-Sacred Heart of Mary (3-5), 13. Pioneer (0-8), 14. Sonora (0-8).