Canelo Alvarez/Photo courtesy of Golden Boy Promotions
Junior middleweight champion Canelo Alvarez of Mexico received a good report Wednesday when he visited Los Angeles-area hand and wrist specialist Dr. Kenneth R. Sabbag to get a second opinion on the avulsion fracture of his right thumb.
Alvarez had been told by his personal physician in Mexico he did not need surgery. That was confirmed by Dr. Sabbag.
“So the verdict – he doesn’t need surgery, which is great,” said Eric Gomez, president of Golden Boy Promotions, for which Alvarez fights.
Gomez said Alvarez will go back to Dr. Sabbag on Nov. 10. If given a clean bill of health, Alvarez will be able to start using the hand to “punch a little bit,” Gomez said.
Gomez also said there is still a chance Alvarez could fight again early next year, but that will only happen if he is 100 percent.
Alvarez sustained the injury during his ninth-round knockout of Liam Smith on Sept. 17 in Arlington, Tecas.