BOYS AND GIRLS ATHLETES OF THE YEAR: Do and Kim take home honor

Geared for all seasons
Temple City’s Williams Do and Gabrielino’s Annie Kim showed that multiple sports athletes can still exist as each displayed excellence in three sports.

11473-Do-Kim-thumb-400x297.jpg

Above: Temple City’s Williams Do and Gabrielino’s Annie Kim are the Star-News’ Boys and Girls Athletes of the Year. (Staff Photo by Keith Birmingham)
By Scott Galetti, Staff Writer

PASADENA – Playing multiple sports almost has become a lost art on the high-school level.
Sure, there still are those who compete in more than one sport, but not nearly as many as in the past.
The West San Gabriel Valley had a couple of athletes who not only participated in multiple sports but excelled in each of them.
Both are being recognized by the Star-News for their efforts.
Whether carrying a football and running over an opponent as well as applying a bone-crunching tackle, sinking a clutch basket or collecting a big hit on the baseball field, Temple City High School’s Williams Do has proven to be one of the most versatile athletes around.
His ability to shine as a three-sport athlete has earned him the honor of 2008 Star-News Boy Athlete of the Year.
“It wasn’t so difficult (to play three sports) because I already had been doing it for the past three years,” Do said. “The main difficulty was being able to perform at my best, because I always feel that if I concentrated on one sport that I’d be better at one sport instead of playing all three.”
Gabrielino’s Annie Kim earned a scholarship to play volleyball at Cal State LA. She also was impressive on the hardwood by producing a basketball season any coach would be proud of.
If success in two sports wasn’t enough, Kim utilized her talent in track and field in the high jump.
Kim is the 2008 Star-News Girl Athlete of the Year.
“After this year, I wouldn’t be able to choose between three sports because each sport gives a lot to me and brings the best out of me,” Kim said.
Do overcame a serious shoulder injury in the second week of the football season and rushed for 1,324 yards and eight touchdowns during his senior campaign.
“I was pretty much trying to get back playing as soon as possible because when I found out it was a dislocation and not a break, I was hoping I could get there as soon as possible,” Do said. “I actually wanted to come back for the La Salle game but the coaches wanted me to get one more week’s rest and come back for league.”
He was selected the Rio Hondo League All-Purpose Back of the Year.
Do quickly changed uniforms and averaged 10.2 points and a team-leading 6.2 rebounds for the Rams basketball team, which was good enough to earn him first-team all-league honors.
Rather than take the rest of the school year off, Do batted .309 with two home runs and 16 runs batted in for Temple City’s baseball team. He was named all-league second team.
“Football, I got hurt, came back and played hard,” Do said. “Basketball, I played hard and baseball, I did the best I could do.”
For Do, taking care of his body was quite important.
“Your body takes abuse in football by getting a pounding and basketball, running up and down,” he said. “By baseball, your body is just so exhausted, but you still have one more season to perform.”
Do took a visit to Fresno State over the weekend and is hoping to vie for a position on the Bulldogs football team.
“I’ll know what I’m doing after I take my visit,” Do said.
Kim was Mission Valley League Player of the Year in volleyball and basketball. Then during the track and field season, she was league champion in the long jump, an event in which she is the school record-holder.
“Track was kind of hard for me because I was injured,” Kim said. “I twisted both my ankles in basketball season, and I pretty much did jumps throughout the season and was pulled out of all the relays, which was kind of a bummer for me.
“In the end, I still have my league championship in the long jump, which is what my goal was.”
Kim averaged a team-high 11.1 points per game to lead the Eagles to their first league championship.
“For basketball, it was already a given that we had a great coach to start with and our team was already close and it was the best chemistry any team could ever have,” Kim said. “We had our ups and downs, but we picked it up together and won the league championship for the first time in Gabrielino history.”
Prior to basketball season, Kim averaged 3.8 kills per game and collected 321 on the season to lead Gabrielino to an undefeated league season.
“Volleyball was definitely a battle for me because this was a year when I had to take on leadership and, in years past, there were always four amazing seniors who brought me to where I am today,” Kim said. “There wasn’t very good team chemistry in the beginning, but in the end, we pulled it together and, for the first time in six year, broke the quarterfinals.
“It was a great season in the end.”
Kim’s decision to play volleyball over basketball at CSLA wasn’t an easy one.
“Actually, basketball is my first love since I was little, but I never really believed in myself for basketball and I didn’t excel in basketball until this year,” Kim said. “Volleyball, I worked hard because my goal was to play in college.”