Goya Foods offers $5,000 scholarships to college freshmen

Goya Foods, America’s largest Hispanic food company, announces  their annual nationwide Culinary Arts and Food Sciences Scholarship Program offered to four students entering their freshman year of college.

As the leader in Latin American food, Goya’s Culinary Arts and Food Sciences Scholarship Program is one of the company’s educational pillars and part of its mission to preserve Goya’s diverse culinary heritage. For more information and to apply, please log onto www.goya.com/scholarships.  Applications are due no later than Feb. 15, 2014.

 Administered by the Hispanic Scholarship Fund (HSF), the nation’s largest leading Hispanic scholarship organization, Goya’s Culinary Arts and Food Sciences Scholarship is available on a competitive basis to students entering a four-year institution as freshmen who are Culinary Arts and/or Food Sciences majors.
Scholarships of $5,000 are awarded each academic year and are renewable for up to three more years provided the student remains eligible to receive funding.
Applicants of the Goya Culinary Arts & Food Sciences Scholarship will be selected based on the standard requirements established by Goya and HSF including academic achievement, leadership and financial need, as well as an evaluation of an essay explaining how Goya has enriched their family traditions.
Among the criteria for consideration, the student
(1) Must plan to be enrolled in college full time starting in 2012-2013 in a degree seeking program within the U.S. as a Freshman at a four-year U.S. accredited institution to obtain their 1st undergraduate degree;
(2) Must be majoring in Culinary Arts and/or Food Sciences;
(3) Must have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale;
(4) Must complete 10 hours per month of community service while in progress;
(5) Must be a U.S. Citizen or a legal permanent resident of the United States with a valid Social Security Number at the time of application. All legal permanent residents must submit a copy of their valid permanent resident card or passport stamped I-551;
(6) Must have a permanent address in a participating state (see website for details) and;
(7) Must apply for federal financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).