In case you weren’t there, here’s a few Reign-related tidbits from coach Karl Taylor’s Q&A with fans at Dickey’s BBQ in Rancho Cucamonga Tuesday night:
– Taylor said that “12 or 13″ players are coming back from last year’s team. That’s more players retained off any ECHL roster Taylor has coached. Forward Ryan MacGregor will not be one.
– The goalie situation is an interesting one: One as-yet-unidentified fellow has been signed out of college, another is likely to be signed by the Reign, and another is likely to be signed by the Kings and possibly assigned to the Reign.
– The Kings signed Geoff Walker to a Pro Tryout Agreement after his recent performance at the Kings’ development camp. He’s been training under the tutelage of the Kings’ training staff since August 1, Taylor said.
– The Reign are getting their own weight room next year inside The Bank. The team worked an arrangement with a local gym last season, but only one player (to my knowledge) took full advantage of it throughout the regular season. “Our team wasn’t in good shape last year,” Taylor said. “This year, we will be.”
– There will be two exhibition games this season, both against the Las Vegas Wranglers. One is tentatively scheduled for 7 p.m. on October 9 at Center Ice Arena (not Riverside Ice Town, as previously reported here). The other will be in Las Vegas. Preseason practices will begin Oct. 1 and will run seven days a week, from 9 a.m. to noon, at Center Ice Arena in Ontario. They’ll be open to the public.