Monday’s practice at Citizens Business Bank Arena was the last for Sean Murray in a Reign uniform, at least for now.
Murray was released Monday afternoon, probably not coincidentally the same day Mike Montgomery was released from his tryout contract with the American Hockey League’s Houston Aeros. The timing of the move suggests that Montgomery could well be in the lineup Wednesday, when the Reign host the Las Vegas Wranglers.
In five games with the Reign, playing exclusively as a third-pair defenseman, Murray was scoreless with a minus-1 rating. Montgomery was a minus-5 with no points in 18 games for the Reign during two separate stints.
A couple more notes from practice:
• There is no indication that the other Reign players currently in the AHL (Dylan Yeo, JP Cote, Chris Cloud, J.D. Watt, Darcy Kuemper) are headed back.
• Coach Jason Christie said that defenseman Philippe Seydoux, out since Nov. 13 with a concussion, started riding a bike again last week and has reported no setbacks in the meantime. Seydoux began bike work in December but stopped after a recurrence of post-concussion symptoms.
• Christie also said that forward Matt Tassone (back spasms) could return to practice next week. Tassone hasn’t played since Dec. 14.
• One more from Christie: Chris Carrozzi, who recorded his second shutout of the season Saturday, figures to start Wednesday.
• I asked several players why the team seems to be playing so well lately – three straight wins, by a cumulative 16-1 score – and got a few different answers. Look for those in tomorrow’s editions of the Sun and Daily Bulletin.