You can help determine which eatery will get that coveted spot.
The next phase of the center’s “Search for the Next Great Pop-Up” has begun!
The top five finalists have been chosen, and they’re a varied bunch:
- Baby’s Badass Burgers: You might be familiar with the Baby’s Badass Burgers food truck from its frequent visits to Montclair Place’s Food Truck Tuesdays or Food Truck Thursdays at Fairplex. The mobile eatery is the brainchild of restaurateur Erica Cohen and event planner Lori Barbera.
- Barbara Jean LA: Executive Chef Jason Fullilove is no stranger to the pop-up scene. Fullilove helmed a pop-up dinner series called RED at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art , which included tasting menus and course meals inspired by art exhibits, live readings and the films of Stanley Kubrick and Danny Boyle. Barbara Jean LA is described as “a celebration of American Soul Food.”
- My Delight Cupcakery: No doubt you’re familiar with the multi-award-winning My Delight Cupcakery. The Ontario bakery, which has been in operation since 2009, is run by the mother-daughter team of Melinda and Naomi Moreno. My Delight also operates a food truck.
- Oli’s Tacos: Another Ontario eatery, Oli’s Tacos is named after Olivia, a Mexican immigrant who came to the U.S. nearly three decades ago. Oli’s Tacos “combines the past with the present and the traditional with the innovative.”
- Ridges Churro Bar: Ridges Churro Bar began as a booth at the 626 Night Market in 2015 and was followed by a food truck in March 2016. Ridges is known for its churro sundae, which combines churros in a variety of flavors — including Fruity Pebbles and salted caramel — with soft-serve ice cream.
Here’s where you come in: Click here to vote.
This isn’t a strictly popularity contest, though. Fan vote doesn’t solely determine the winner, but will strongly be taken into consideration when picking a winner.
The winner will receive a free pop-up space from June 30 to August 31, plus $5,000 for renovations and equipment.
Don’t wait! Voting closes at 5 p.m. on June 2.
Update: The winner, announced Monday (June 5), is a local one: Oli’s Tacos!