Two months has passed ever since the most frustrating season of Steve Nash’s 18-year career ended. Three more months await for the 40-year-old point guard to heal the persistent nerve damage in his back and hamstrings that kept him out last season for all but 15 games.
So how has his health held up thus far?
“I feel great right now. I’ve been able to be pretty much go without limitations as far as my training,” Nash said on Monday. “I’m obviously not trying to overdo it so I can allow that nerve to settle down perhaps and be less irritating. It has worked so far, but I would hate to say this is where it will be like once I join the rigors of an NBA schedule.”
Nash spoke those words on a conference call to promote the seventh annual “Steve Nash Foundation Showdown,” an organized pick-up soccer game taking place this Wednesday at Sara D. Roosevelt Park in New York City that will feature a handful of NBA stars (Dallas forward Dirk Nowitzki, Cleveland guard Kyrie Irving).
Nash will also play albeit with cautiousness surrounding his rehab. But he downplayed whether that could provide any indicator on how his health could play out long-term. Nash remains under contract with the Lakers for the 2014-15 season worth $9.8 million. Though the Lakers could waive him via the so-called stretch provision by July 31, the Lakers will more likely keep him so his entire salary comes off the books by the 2015 offseason. The Lakers may look to upgrade at point guard, such as drafting Oklahoma State guard Marcus Smart, and have Nash provide a mentorship role off the bench in limited minutes.
“It’s way too early,” Nash said. “I’m not really sure I will know that until camp. But I’ll do everything I can to prepare myself for that environment.”