Businessman vows to move recall forward

In all of Tuesday’s earthquake coverage, it seems this article that reporter Bethania Palma helped me complete (I was off on Monday and Tuesday) got lost online:

Baldwin Park rejects recall effort
Council member foes say drive to oust 3 will continue
By Tania Chatila and Bethania Palma, Staff Writers
Article Launched: 07/28/2008 11:12:42 PM PDT

BALDWIN PARK – Leaders of a recall effort against three City Council members vowed Monday to press on despite the city’s rejection of recall papers.
Local businessman and Pomona resident Greg Tuttle served recall notices on Council members Anthony Bejarano, Marlen Garcia and Monica Garcia at the June 18 council meeting. He filed official recall paperwork with the City Clerk’s Office the following Monday.

Deputy City Clerk Laura Nieto said legal documents submitted to City Hall were rejected last week due to election code violations, including missing forms at the time of filing.

Tuttle said he plans to move forward and expects the recall to be on a citywide ballot next year.

“We’re going to go back and do it right,” he said. “We’re laughing at it. It’s a delay tactic.”

The recall papers Tuttle submitted contained a laundry list of grievances against individual council members.

City Council members targeted in the effort dismissed the accusations as unfounded.

Along with Tuttle, who owns Tuttle’s Parts Exchange, several of the recall’s proponents included members of the Community Alliance for Redevelopment Accountability. The group is against the city’s proposed redevelopment of downtown.

But Tuttle said the recall was separate from CARA’s efforts, and was initiated to address mismanagement of the Police Department as well as concerns over redevelopment.

Officials targeted by the recall effort argued the proposed redevelopment will be good for the city.
“There are a lot of benefits to these types of projects, but unfortunately you’ve got those agitators,” said Councilwoman Marlen Garcia. “Tuttle doesn’t live in my community and frankly he doesn’t matter to me.”

Councilman Anthony Bejarano questioned the recall group’s motives.

“They don’t want to be impacted, so they’re going to fight tooth and nail to get what they want, irrespective of how that impacts the community,” he said. “All that’s important to (Tuttle) are the impacts on his business.”

Councilwoman Monica Garcia did not return phone calls.

Experts attest to the difficulty of successfully initiating a recall election – which could easily run in the tens of thousands of dollars, and maybe even upwards of $100,000, according to Douglas Johnson, a fellow with the Rose Institute of State and Local Government.

Tuttle said recalling three council members could cost anywhere from $125,000 to $150,000 – funds that will be generated by a group he heads known as the Political Action Committee for Good Government.

Johnson estimated less than a quarter of recall movements actually end up on the ballot.

Tuttle said he plans to try again this week.

“We’re refiling and if that doesn’t work we’ll have to take the legal action and go to court,” Tuttle said. “It’s only begun.”

tania.chatila@sgvn.com

(626) 962-8811, Ext. 2109

Tuttle seemed adamant that this was nothing more than a ploy by the city to make the recall go away. I don’t think Tuttle is budging quite yet….Of course, it would help to get all the paperwork right.

• Anonymouse

It would also help if Tuttle wasn’t a giant douche.

• Anonymous

HAHAHAHAHA

• Long time resident of BP

This redevelpoment project that the city is dealing for will never be what they want it to be, People do not want to live in a city where the drug dealer sell out of thier front yards. My family who got out of here said they will never come back. The crimial element is to set in the city to get out because they want to up grade the city. I have watch drug being sold at the exit of a market parking lot, call the police and by the time they get out the people have gone. The police dosent want to acknowlege the one of my neighbors have a scranner and monitor all call to the patrol cars so they can come and tell the dealer that the police where call. I my garage as been broke into at least 2 time in the month of May wo we put in a alarms. This money we have to put out evey month in order to feel safe. Why the city officals don’t try and clean up the streets of the drug dealer, add more police to the force and answers the call soon maybe then people would be mmore for the redevelope of down town. They could reface the older stores and try encouraging citizens to open busniess in the city and more ENGLISH speaking owners of these business. Thank you for let me air my feeling about these matters.
    Tuttle keep the recall going.

• Anonymouse

You want “ENGLISH” speaking owners in the City? Try learning the language yourself, you moron. You have so many spelling errors in your post that I could mash the keyboard and come up with more coherent words than you have. Tuttle, why don’t you do everybody a favor and die already.

• WOW BEN A JERK

Lots of anger from the illiterate group douche bag, ha,ha,ha and go die you two or three are a piece of work. I bet you even graduated from high school on the accelerated plan like Corona or the security guard mayor or even an unemployed attorney sitting up a in house business. These are the kind of people I want running my city and their supporters. GOOD LUCK
    Short note to Tania the papers were right and were sent in time to the minute it’s just that the city attorney had to pull away from his heavy divorce case loads to look at the recall papers and got confused so he was sent the full version of the codes law that he left out in the return letter and next time we will send a calculator along to help add the days up or better yet just a calender marked when papers are due. Also the papers are back in the clerks hands as of wed. for another 10 day go around so keep in touch on latest drama on recall round 2 and I’am sure many to come this is part of duing business with a group ??? leaders in the city council they are scared word has it. It’s tough to combat the truth so they call all of the people who disagree with them nuts,outsiders and agitators wow if thats all you got just give up now and we promise not to emminent domain your houses ok?

• WOW BEN A JERK

• Anonymouse

Brilliant retort Tuttle. Using pretty much my exact words. Touche. Or should I say, “Douche”. Greg Tuttle is the douchiest douche that ever douched. If he wrote a book in the days of the Bible, it would be called Doucheronomy. If he had a TV show back in the 80’s, it would be called The Douche of Hazzard. Greg, did you decide to type with your @$$ instead of your fingers this time? Geez, just when I thought you couldn’t possibly fit more typos into your responses. Where did you learn English? In Chinese instruction manuals? Your recall won’t go through this second time either ’cause you’re too stupid to follow directions. Go get some third-grader to help you out, moron.

• wow ben a jerk

You must be a female since you keep coming up with that word why not use a more intelligent word. I guess you must be really dirty down there and have to keep it clean all the time. It’s been fun conversing with you but I must move on to the more intelligent people who talk in a better language and have substance to their comments.

• Get Over It Anonymouse

“Sticks and Stones” grow up!

There are plenty of Blogs were many teenagers post, maybe Anonymouse will feel more at home on those sites.

• BPer

Mr.Tuttle, You are incensed that this development has zoned you out. You are going to fight tooth and nail to make sure that you are not “bullied”.You don’t get it. This is not about you sir. This project was started back in the early 80’s and we who live here in BP want it. Get ready to spend alot of your supporters money. We here in BP WILL keep our elected officials no matter what you do. Our project (the development) will happen. Your problem mr.tuttle is that you are going against something and it is always more powerful to go with something. You yourself say your for development but not this one because it is not on your agenda. You are blinded mr.tuttle you do not see the light because if you did you would be behind the project asking all the pertinent and right questions about this project. You would be asking this if you lived in this city but as an offended business owner this is all about you not about us who live here.

• Bper/clueless

Why is it so important to live in your city when i invest my life savings in your city by putting my business here? You my friend don’t get it and these morons who sit on the council didn’t have anything to do with this city in the 80’s like i did i was here with my business paying city license,taxes county and city and employing residents from the city. The only one who does’t have a clue is you because first of all your not affected and second if it doesn’t work what do you have to lose. My employees eat lunch here,bank here like me, by gas here, pay taxes here and support the local stores here you my friend do no better than me or my employees who live here so i have every right to state my feelings on this project. The morons on the council can’t find anything wrong with me so i’am called nuts,a radical, non resident but what everyonre here doesn’t know is i have invested 28 years here and some outsider bisno is not going to throw me out of town for the money and these so called crooks on the council will lose this battle. You have been told you have great numbers of people for this but wait and see when the final numbers come in. One other thing if i’am telling all these lies up there why don’t they show you the proof i’am lieing it’s because everything i’am telling is the truth and they know it.

• Anonymous

Mr. Tuttle,

What you fail to realize is that it’s not about how much you pay in taxes, how many hours you’re in the city, or any of the other things you’ve touted as giving your position validity.

The reality is that a resident/citizen of a city has one chief concern when it comes to what happens in their city, and that is that their quality of life continues to improve.

On the otherhand, a business owner, at the end of the day, has a different chief concern: Profitability. In other words, when you set up your business in Baldwin Park, you didn’t do it because of some sentimentality about the City, or because of some noble mission to make the City a better place. More often, a business owner chooses this location because it is the place where they can conduct business in the most profitable manner.

Now, on most occasions, these two chief concerns, although different, want the same sort of things from city government. However, sometimes, like in regards to this development, your interests and that of the majority of residents of the City are at odds. And when that happens, elected government is set up so that the people that invested their LIVES, not just their life-savings, have the final say. That is why only people that LIVE in a jurisdiction are given the right to vote for the elected officials.

So, it is not that business owners in a city are unimportant, second-class citizens, or any other derogatory term. They are vital and important to the running of any city. But, on those occasions where these two competing notions are put at odds to each other, the system is set up so that the residents have the final say.

Now I know you have yourself convinced that the electeds are crooked, that this is a bad development plan, that Bisno is Satan, and anything else you can come up with. But, that my dear machinist, is what they call self-delusion. You’ve convinced yourself of this because it is the only way for you to make a semi-plausible argument in favor of your interests. Your own ego is your own worst enemy. He is in your ear telling you how right you are, how righteous you are, how smart you are. He tells you to ignore when you are continuously proven wrong, or even silly. He laughs when anyone tries to show you that the difference between “your” and “you’re” is a subtle, but important one that is easily learned and makes the world of difference when you post on blogs or turn in paper work. He scoffs when someone points out that your business is an eyesore that could use some landscaping, paint, and an update.

And when your recall fails miserably, because none of the residents who want a better quality of life will sign your petition, your ego will still be there by you, telling you that you were right, and that the people are dumb, or misinformed, or that there was some other grand conspiracy that kept the smart, the righteous, the brilliant Greg Tuttle from his moment of glory.

• BPer

Very well put anonymous. Though we know that this will not effect mr.tuttle and his crusade, this will, let him know how we who do live here feel. mr.tuttle, when you write,”why is it so important to live in your city…” you show me and all who live here so little respect. Do you think buying a house, paying the monthlys plus taxes is so less than what you do? You go on to finish your point with…,”when i invest my life savings in your city by putting my business here?”. You opened your business for yourself, it is what you wanted in your life. I applaud you, but please don’t think me or anyone else here would believe that you did it for Baldwin Park. You have been successful in your business, good for you, you have made money here in BP. Be thankful. Now have the good grace to mind your own business and allow me and mine to have what we want in OUR city. The development.

• Anthony ben a jerk

Wow the last two writers almost made tears come to my eyes it almost sounded like it came from a want to be attorney working out of his house. I love this crap that you all bought your houses here to make B/P better and your so devoted to this city. People buy in a city either because it’s close to family or work or that’s all they can afford. So do you want me to believe you are willing to sell your house to bisno for the better of the city and take a loss. So You want to supposedly do what’s good for the city at the expense of others your a piece of work let me know when you will put your house in the pot and move into a 3 story condo thats built like crap. I have seen bisno work and every city he goes in except santa ana he has had trouble. Let’s talk about santa ana now the units aren’t selling and the business condo’s owners are already trying to sell them it’s called no business and payed to much for. If the council was well informed and had the intelligence about redevelopment we wouldn’t be doing this now but the developer is pushing this to gain all the property for next to nothing and sell it off and leave. You people don’t have a clue how these developers work they aren’t your friend and when your not losing anything what do you have to lose. Let me know when you want to give up your property for the good of the city then we can talk with intelligence ok A/B. Also don’t forget your trusting a bunch of losers in the council a security guard[mayor],attorney who can’t keep a job, a hospital worker who used the system to get her own house, a bought and payed for developer girl and let’s not forget pay/me pacheco wake this council is taking this city for a ride.

• To jerk

when are you going to get it straight? The two who wrote that LIVE here never said that they bought their houses for BP. They bought it for themselves and their families and decided BP was the place for them. You bought your business because it’s what you wanted and BP was the place you decided in. Good. You were successful. Good. Be a good businessman and do what’s right for your business and the city you have prospered in. By the way I’m no lawyer but i do love my city.

• Anonymous

Has anyone noticed that Tuttle thinks anyone that posts in contradiction to him “sounds like an attorney”? What is that all about?

And anonymous above hit it on the head:

“I love this crap that you all bought your houses here to make B/P better and your so devoted to this city.”

Isn’t a bit sad that a 40-something white guy, whose first language is English, STILL can’t figure out the difference between a contraction and a possessive pronoun (you’re vs. your)? For someone so smart, he sure seems hell-bent on making himself look not-so-smart.