Selanne ends suspense, signs 1-year deal.

55236-selannecontract-thumb-500x335-55235.jpg

(Photo courtesy of Anaheim Ducks)

Teemu Selanne said he wanted to decide whether or not to extend his playing career by September 16. Looks like he beat his own deadline by a full day.

The 41-year-old right wing signed a one-year, $4 million contract Thursday that will keep the Ducks’ leading scorer in uniform for another year. The annual summer ritual of will-he-retire-or-re-sign was getting old, and there was a sense of finality this time when Selanne spoke to reporters on a national conference call.

“I look at it as my last year,” Selanne said. “Hopefully it’s going to be a good
one.”

Full story to come in tomorrow’s editions. Some more interesting details:

Continue reading

NHL reinstates Samueli. Updates with Samueli, Bettman reaction.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has reinstated Henry Samueli as the Ducks’ acting owner. Samueli had been suspended indefinitely from any involvement with the Ducks and the NHL on June 24, 2008.

“I did today decide to reinstate Anaheim Ducks owner Henry Samueli, who was suspended in 2008 as a result of a legal proceeding that I think has been dealt with appropriately,” Bettman said on Thursday’s broadcast of “NHL Hour with Commissioner Bettman” on Sirius XM. “I believe that the 18 months that he has been suspended was long enough and he and his wife Susan, who actually imposed his suspension upon herself, will be back together as active owners. They have been terrific owners and we’re thrilled to have them back.”

Susan Samueli also returned to active status as co-owner of the Ducks. In support of her husband, and to avoid any possible improper appearance, she had abided by the terms of Henry Samueli’s suspension.

Henry Samueli, the co-founder and former chairman of Broadcom Corp., had pleaded guilty to one count of making a false statement to the Securities and Exchange Commission in connection with illegally backdating employee stock options.

In September, a federal appeals court in Pasadena refused to reinstate a proposed plea bargain that called for Samueli to serve five years of probation, pay a $250,000 fine and pay $12 million to the U.S. Treasury Department. He still awaits sentencing.

During Samueli’s absence, Ducks CEO Michael Schulman served as Governor and managed the day-to-day operations of the team.

In a statement released by the team, Samueli said: “Susan and I are very happy to be returning to work with the Ducks. We are thankful to have had great leadership in place that successfully operated the team during this time and look forward to reestablishing contact with the organization. Our goal remains the same — to be a championship-caliber organization both on and off the ice. We are also pleased to be able to return to a more active role in the many philanthropic efforts that the Ducks have undertaken throughout the Southern California community.”