With 20 inches of new snow in the past week, Vail is a spring break skier’s dream. Add that fresh powder to late-season specials – including a 30-percent discount on April lodging at Antlers at Vail that brings its studio suite rate below $200 and a free Jimmy Cliff concert on closing day April 14.
1) Taste of Vail – the iconic spring food and wine festival turns 22 this year, showcasing the area’s finest chefs and nation’s top vintners plus a new Nordic Wine Tour kick-off. April 3 – 6. Event tickets start from $50.
2) Spring Back to Vail Celebration – the April 8-14 end-of-season bash in honor of Vail’s 50th features free live concerts including reggae legend and Grammy-winner Jimmy Cliff on April 14 at the Solaris Plaza in Vail Village.
3) 50th Anniversary Film Night – a look back at Vail’s 50 years in film from Roger Cotton Brown, who created the first ever Vail promotional film in the 60s. April 4 and 11 screenings are free with ticket available at Lionshead Vail Welcome Center from 9 a.m. on day of the show only. Film starts at 5:30 p.m.
4) Skiing Heritage Week – a U.S. Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame induction ceremony April 13 is a highlight in a week that includes classic ski films and more. April 8 – 14. $350 for All-Access Pass.
5) Vail World Pond Skimming Championships – costumed skiers try to clear a 100-foot, ice cold pond in this wacky annual event. April 14 at Vail Mountain’s Golden Peak Base Area. Free to watch; $75 to participate.
Antlers at Vail’s April discount includes 30 percent off regular rates for the month, with a $285/night studio suite for $199. Check the Antlers at Vail website.