Tribune Top Ten
1. Bishop Amat (3-0) – With St. Bonaventure next, the stay at the top could be brief. But lets be honest, this is where the Lancers belong. Are they really better than Charter Oak? That’s still up for debate.
2. Charter Oak (3-1) – It’s a good thing Friday’s loss to Rancho Cucamonga wasn’t for a championship, because the Chargers would have been sick to their stomach for giving up the momentum-swinging plays. The true measure is how they bounce back at home against Damien.
3. Rowland (3-0) – The Raiders are a lock at No. 3 at least the next two weeks with Covina and El Monte to follow before the league opener against Walnut.
4. Walnut (3-0) – Some aren’t convinced the Mustangs are this good after squeaking past Covina, 31-27. But a bigger test looms on Friday against 2-1 Arroyo, hungry after a Claremont defeat.
5. West Covina (1-3) – Okay, so you think I’m crazy for leaping the Bulldogs from No. 14 to this spot. That’s what happens when you lose to teams like Bishop Amat, Venice, then beat a Glendora. The schedule matters.
6. Glendora (1-2) – The Tartans are not as powerful as we thought they were when the season started, but there is still a long way to go. If they get their offense rolling, they should be fine.
7. San Dimas (3-1) – The Saints took one on the chin against Monrovia, and believe me, if they see the Cats again in the playoffs, they will be better for it.
8. South Hills (1-2) – I’m reluctant to drop teams too far when the losses are against La Habra, a defending champion, and Tesoro, a Pac-5 finalist. Injuries are still a problem, but the schedule isn’t for the next two weeks against Northview and Rosemead.
9. Arroyo (2-1) — How do the Knights jump into the top ten after a loss? Because they should have been here in the first place, and can prove they deserve it with a win over Walnut.
10. Baldwin Park (3-1) — A tough 9-3 loss to Bonita, but they were in it all the way. So how come the Bearcats aren’t ranked ahead of these guys, because they have three losses and the win over BP wasn’t convincing enough to warrant it.
The Middle 10
11. Bonita (1-2), 12. Damien (1-3), 13. Workman (3-1), 14. Diamond Ranch (1-3), 15. La Puente (3-1), 16. Azusa (3-1), 17. Wilson (2-1), 18. Gladstone (3-1), 19. Bassett (3-1), 20. Los Altos (1-2).
On the bottom looking up
21. Sierra Vista (2-1), 22. Covina (1-2), 23. Rosemead (1-2), 24. Nogales (2-2), 25. Diamond Bar (0-3), 26. Northview (0-3), 27. El Monte (0-3), 28. South El Monte (0-4), 29. Mountain View (0-4), 30. Ganesha (0-4), 31. Duarte (0-4)