Girls Soccer: Bishop Amat and San Dimas both advance with 2-0 wins; Ayala takes care of Flintridge Prep, 3-1

Note: Looks like I’ve got a road trip somewhere on Tuesday ..
CIF-SS Girls Soccer
Tuesday’s semifinals
Division 3

Ayala at Santa Maria Righetti, 3 p.m.
Bishop Amat at Granite Hills, 3 p.m.
Division 6
San Dimas at Hemet, 3 p.m.

For a good part of Thursday afternoon’s CIF-Southern Section Division 3 girls soccer semifinal, visiting Serrano was much more physical than second-seed Bishop Amat, so much that the frustration started wear on the Lancers’ faces. The Diamondbacks sported a pair of imposing forwards in Kellsie Gleason and Katie Pound, but the Lancers stood their ground for the most part, getting a solid effort from goalkeeper Alexis Carillo, who came in an out of the penalty area to continually knock away crosses and keep the game scoreless long enough for the Lancers to get going. (To continue click thread).

CIF-SS Girls Soccer quarterfinal results
Division 3

Bishop Amat 2, Serrano 0
Ayala 3, Flintridge Prep 1
Division 6
San Dimas 2, Tahquitz 0
Division 7
Sierra Canyon 4, Arroyo 0

Inland Insider on Ayala’s big win. Ayala rematch with Bishop Amat a game away from fruition..

After missing three big opportunities toward the end of the first half, the Lancers finally found their rhythm in the second, receiving goals from sophomore Natalie Rivas and junior Miranda Joya in the 55th and 58th minutes respectively to earn a 2-0 win and second straight trip to the semifinals.
Bishop Amat (25-1) will be on the road in Tuesday’s semifinals against third-seed Granite Hills, who is yet to surrender a goal in the playoffs.
“It took us a little while to get going,” Lancers coach Ruben Gonzalez said. “I knew it would be physical and part of the adjustments were adjusting to the referee and trying to figure out what he would call and how physical it would get.
“We waited and waited and finally in the second half we were more comfortable playing our game. But it was tough, they’re a big, physical team.”
Rivas has been a big boost in the playoffs. She scored all three goals in the Lancers’ 3-1 first-round win over Walnut, and got the Lancers going again against the Diamondbacks.
Lyanna Farran delivered a pass into space for Rivas, who sped free and buried a hard shot off the left netting for a 1-0 lead and her fourth goal of the playoffs.
Not bad for player with just three goals before the playoffs began.
“That’s what we have with Rivas, our x-factor,” Gonzalez said. “She can play so many different positions. She’s versatile and right now she’s playing with a lot of confidence.
The second goal came minutes later. Yazmin Montoya’s corner kick dropped in front of a pack of players — Joya fighting everyone off to poke it home and stake Amat to a 2-0 lead.
“I just though we couldn’t catch a break today,” said Serrano coach Laura Antle, whose team finishes 22-6-2. “We had our chances in the first half and a few in the second, but the second goal they scored there was miscommunication in the back.
“When you’re down one goal, mentally you feel like you’re right there and you’re trying to tie it. But when they scored again, I thought that took a lot out of us.”

San Dimas 2, Tahquitz 0
After crushing fourth seed Alverno 4-1 in the second round, the Saints kept their playoff march going.
Shannon McKee scored in the first half and Vanessa Trujillo scored early in the second to lead the Saints into the Division 6 semifinals on Tuesday against either Hemet or Segerstrom at a site to be determined.
Goalkeeper Rachel Jones also had a big day for the Saints (20-2-2), who advanced to the semis for the first time in school history.
“We had never been past the second round until this year,” Saints coach Kelly Kocalis said. “The girls are amped up. They said it feels surreal to be just a game away from the championship.”

• LA Futbol

My prediction:

Amat – 4
    Serrano – 2

Amat wins easily. We played Serrano earlier in the year and beat them. My guess is the Lancers will have little trouble with them. Serrano is big and slow. Amat is small and quick. Serrano gets a couple on set pieces just because of their size and strength. But Amat should be able to get into space and exploit Serrano’s defense. We scored 3 goals with our offense. Amat should be able to get 4 or 5.

• SaintsR4real

LadySaints up 2 to 0. 25 min left.

WHO DAT??

• saintsgirlsr4real2

The SD Saints showed their true colors today in the win over Tahquitz. After arriving late and with just 10 minutes to warm up they were able to control the game and the ball to take it 2-0. There were so many amazing plays in the middle to steal or retain the ball against a very physical Tahquitz team. After the half you could tell that Tahquitz was out to intimidate but the mighty Saints would not back down. And a shout out to our defense and Rachel for the CIF playoff shutout.

• SaintsR4real

Fred,

The Girls from the SD (the other BUSD team 8-} )… are predicted to win by one goal.

Whatever your decision as far as who to cover on Tuesday, please make plans to cover the Lady Saints in the Championship.

PLAY YOUR GAME GIRLS….SPEED KILLS!!

• saintsgirlsr4real2

Saintsr4real,

What happened to one game at a time? SHHHHHHHHH