Girls Soccer: Bishop Amat gets its swag back with 1-0 win over second-ranked St. Joseph

Bishop Amat-St. Joseph’s Photo Gallery

Bishop Amat’s Yazmin Montoya speaks after 1-0 win over St. Joseph’s …

Bishop Amat’s Kathleen Zamora talks after scoring the game-winner in the 67th minute…

The Bishop Amat girls soccer team might not be as powerful as the team that won the CIF-Southern Section Division 3 title in 2011 or the one that advanced to last year’s championship game, but don’t tell the Lancers they’re not contenders anymore.
They think they’re and went out and showed why.
Feeling snubbed after being left off this week’s Division 3 poll, Bishop Amat responded with a 1-0 victory over second-ranked St. Joseph on Wednesday, avenging a 3-2 loss to the Jesters earlier in the season.
“It was a big win,” Amat midfieder Jazmin Montoya said. “We have hard workers and players who want to win. We’re not the most talented team as we have been, but we’ll work as a team to win.”
The victory moves Amat (12-4-5, 5-1) and St. Joseph’s (16-4-4, 5-1) into a first-place tie in the Del Rey League with two games left.
Both teams had opportunities in front of the goal, but Amat had better opportunities on set pieces, trying to convert long throw-ins and corners.
Finally, in the 67th minute, Amat’s Cassadra Reyes took a pass and darted down the left side, crossing a ball in front that senior Kathleen Zamora headed home for the lone goal.
“I saw Cassie go down the line with the ball and me and Jamie (Peters) went for it,” Zamora said. “It just went straight to my head. It was perfect.”
As the game wore on, Amat coach Ruben Gonzalez wondered if the game winner would ever come.
“It was a battle,” Gonzalez said. “They’re a good team, we knew that coming in.
“We just stayed patient and kept after it. After the goal, there was 12 minutes left. At that point you just defend the goal.”
St. Joseph’s forwards Natalie De Leon and Jenna Pillon struggled to get quality opportunities. But all the Jesters needed was a tie to stay ahead of Amat in the league title chase.
They almost got it.
“The late goal is tough to give up but we had our opportunities the first half and couldn’t (finish),” St. Joseph’s coach Eddie Perez said. “We had about 10 (chances) right in front of the goal and couldn’t get anything to go.
“That gave them (Amat) confidence and they came out and played well in the second half.”
For Gonzalez, the end of season confidence is just what the doctor ordered.
“We always start out a little slow and pick it up toward the end of the second half of the season,” Gonzalez said. “It’s about getting ready for the playoffs, that’s was this program is about.
“League championships are nice, but it’s how you do in the playoffs is how this team will be compared to teams in the past.”

• SGV Futbol

Sure is a good thing Gonzalez knows how to recruit well! What would he do if he actually ha to BUILD a program from the ground up? Guess we’ll never know. Star players graduate…no problem, we’ll just go out and recruit what we need. What a joke.

• socal futbol

Sgv Stop crying! what do you think he did when he came to Amat! He build it from the ground up!

• SGV Futbol

Haha…if that makes you feel better! He’s a snake. People know he’s a snake! Very few people like him. Sure he wins. So would anyone with the talent he’s recruited.

• socal futbol

Now it is a popularity contest? you must be a parent whose daughter was not very good and did not play much!

• http://twitter.com/SGVNSports Fred J. Robledo

I thought people like SGV Futbol knew something about soccer. You won’t find many better coaches at this level than Gonzalez, also the community college state coach of the year. Just like in club soccer, players go to teams/schools that win and where they can grow as players.

• Soccer Fan

No doubt that Coach Gonzales is one if the best coaches in the area. Recruiting or no recruiting he still makes those players come together and play as a team. Another coach that goes unnoticed is Steve Jimenez from Sierra Vista. Year in and year out he is a contender for a CIF title. Not to forget Chris Reeder from Los Altos great coach that always get the best out of his players.

• Ricky Rivera

So Fred, you are saying that High School players go to a high school for the sports program and not the academics? Are you are feeding into this misguided trend of HS kids jumping from school to school for the sports program? Many of these players prioritize sports over grades and they don’t get college scholarship offers and some wash out after their first year in college. So, is a league or CIF title more important than a college degree?

Ricky, schools that perform well across the board in athletics are generally among the best academic schools as well. Students/parents should be free to enroll wherever they feel they have the best chance to succeed athletically/academically. It’s not about prioritizing sports over grades, if you’re a student who works hard on grades, that will carry with you regardless of whether you transfer or not. If you’re a student that doesn’t work as hard at it, that will carry with you as well.

• Ricky Rivera

Fred, In theory I would agree with you, but in the past couple of years, I have noticed that a lot of “star” high school players are ending up at JUCOs. There is nothing wrong with that, but after they complete their 2 years they don’t move on to a four year colleges. Many, I understand are having academic issues and
          are not getting academic money to go along with their partial athletic scholarship. I can’t imagine that moving from HS to HS is helping them establish themselves academically with their new school.

• SGV Observer

Recruiting or not, Gonzalez knows how to build a program and attract players to his schools. Can’t deny he is a top coach in the state. Great win for Amat yesterday. They controlled the game against a slower St. Joes team. Both teams will do well in the playoffs but why in the world is La Salle ranked in the division and not Amat? I dont think Amat should be ranked in the top 4 but at least put them above La Salle for the division rankings. Some of these coaches make interesting votes for division rankings. Playoffs are going to be a battle for every team. Good Luck.