Report: Dodgers re-sign Howie Kendrick to two-year contract, pending physical.

The Dodgers have re-signed second baseman Howie Kendrick to a two-year contract pending a physical, according to Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com. The Dodgers have not confirmed the announcement.

Kendrick, who turns 33 in July, appeared in 117 games last season, his fewest this decade, by virtue of a hamstring injury. He posted a .295/.336/.409 slash line along with nine home runs and 54 RBIs.

The Dodgers re-signed veteran Chase Utley to a one-year, $7 million contract in December. He and Enrique Hernandez stood to split time at second base if the Dodgers didn’t bring back Kendrick. The Dodgers also acquired Micah Johnson, a left-handed hitting second baseman, from the Chicago White Sox in the trade that sent Jose Peraza and Scott Schebler to the Cincinnati Reds.

Dodgers pitcher Clayton Kershaw inadvertently broke the news earlier Friday.

Speaking at a team function at Los Angeles City Hall, Kershaw said of the team’s position players, “obviously Howie’s still in the mix. Other than Jimmy (Rollins) I feel like we have our team back.”

Share this post ...
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on TumblrEmail this to someonePrint this page

Report: Dodgers trying to bring back Howie Kendrick.

Howie Kendrick

Howie Kendrick hit nine nine home runs and drove in 54 in his first season with the Dodgers. (Keith Birmingham/Staff photographer)

Howie Kendrick, who rejected a qualifying offer from the Dodgers at the end of last season, could return in 2016 according to a report Friday morning.
Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com reported via Twitter that the Dodgers are “making progress” on a new contract with the free agent second baseman.

Because Kendrick rejected the Dodgers’ qualifying offer, the team stands to gain a compensatory draft pick (after the first round) if he signs somewhere else.

Kendrick, who turns 33 in July, appeared in 117 games last season, his fewest this decade, by virtue of a hamstring injury. He posted a .295/.336/.409 slash line along with nine home runs and 54 RBIs.

The Dodgers re-signed veteran Chase Utley to a one-year, $7 million contract in December. He and Enrique Hernandez stood to split time at second base if the Dodgers didn’t bring back Kendrick. The Dodgers also acquired Micah Johnson, a left-handed hitting second baseman, from the Chicago White Sox in the trade that sent Jose Peraza and Scott Schebler to the Cincinnati Reds.

Share this post ...
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on TumblrEmail this to someonePrint this page

Dodgers reportedly finalizing contract with former Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos.

Alex Anthopoulos

Alex Anthopoulos was the Toronto Blue Jays’ general manager from 2010-15. (Getty Images)

For the second straight season, the Dodgers’ biggest off-season acquisition might be a new member of their executive team.

Alex Anthopoulos, the Toronto Blue Jays’ general manager from 2010-15, will join the Dodgers’ front office in some capacity according to multiple reports this week. Two sources familiar with the situation told me that Anthopoulos, a Montreal native, has close ties to the Toronto area and would be reluctant to leave unless he felt strongly compelled by the Dodgers’ offer. It’s unknown what that offer is.

The Dodgers have had one of MLB’s more robust executive teams for the last year, a group that includes team president Stan Kasten, president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman, general manager Farhan Zaidi, and executive vice president Josh Byrnes. If they aren’t running out of titles, the Dodgers might be running out of executive offices on the fifth floor of Dodger Stadium.

The Blue Jays ended a 22-year playoff drought this year under Anthopoulos, who resigned at the end of the season rather than accept a five-year contract extension. Anthopoulos was already out of work when The Sporting News chose him as its Executive of the Year in October.

The Blue Jays went 489-483 during Anthopoulos’ tenure. Before he became GM, the 38-year-old served as the Blue Jays’ scouting coordinator and assistant general manager.

Share this post ...
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on TumblrEmail this to someonePrint this page

Dodgers lose out on Hisashi Iwakuma, who re-signs with the Seattle Mariners. Update.

Seattle Mariners general manager Jerry Dipoto announced tonight — at a company party, no less — that Hisashi Iwakuma will re-sign with the only major league team he’s ever pitched for:

The Dodgers and Iwakuma agreed to terms on a three-year contract that was pending a physical. Something changed after the Dodgers reviewed the physical, however, and the Mariners apparently wasted little time swooping in.

Iwakuma’s contract is guaranteed for one year, with vesting options for 2017 and 2018.

Update: The Dodgers lost yet another of their starting pitcher targets but still have time to get someone else.

Share this post ...
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on TumblrEmail this to someonePrint this page

Report: Dodgers ‘postpone’ Iwakuma signing following results of physical.

The Dodgers have ‘postponed’ their contract with pitcher Hisashi Iwakuma after reviewing the results of his physical, according to the Japanese news agency Asahi Shimbun.

It’s been more than a week (at least nine days to our knowledge) since Iwakuma and the Dodgers agreed to terms on a three-year, $45 million contract. The contract was believed to be contingent on just the physical, so it makes sense that the physical is the cause for the delay.

Meanwhile, the Dodgers are still active on the trade front:

Odorizzi, a 25-year-old right-hander, went 9-9 with a 3.35 ERA (118 ERA+) in 2015. He was eighth in the 2014 American League Rookie of the Year voting.

The two acquisitions aren’t mutually exclusive. In theory, the Dodgers could still find a way to sign Iwakuma and trade for Odorizzi.

The sequence could be important. If Odorizzi were to join a rotation that already includes Clayton Kershaw, Brett Anderson, Alex Wood, Hyun-Jin Ryu and, at some point late in 2016, Brandon McCarthy, it’s one less reason for the Dodgers to extend themselves to sign an injured pitcher.

Share this post ...
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on TumblrEmail this to someonePrint this page