Why Vin Scully relented to having his name on a local street.

Vin Scully Avenue

Hall of Fame broadcaster Vin Scully smiles as he makes his way to the stage during the Dodgers’ fourth annual FanFest on Saturday. (Keith Birmingham/Staff photographer)

Vin Scully explained why he finally ceded to the Los Angeles City Council’s motion to re-name a portion of Elysian Park Avenue in his honor this week.

“I thought, you know, I’ve loved it here so much,” Scully said Saturday at the Dodgers’ annual FanFest. “You can’t leave very much behind. I thought, to the people who come here often, it would be like a hello as well as a goodbye.”

Scully, 88, said he would like to call the Dodgers’ season-ending road trip to San Francisco, Sept. 30 through Oct. 2, but the rest of his road schedule is somewhat “up in the air.”

“I’d like to touch a couple bases, not beyond California though,” he said. “I would like to go to San Diego. I would like to go to Anaheim. A couple in San Francisco. That’ll be enough, I think.”

The Hall of Fame broadcaster is entering his 67th and final year with the Dodgers this season.

Share this post ...
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on TumblrEmail this to someonePrint this page

‘Vin Scully Avenue’ becomes official; name change could happen in 30 days.

Vin Scully Way

A general view of a street sign honoring Vin Scully and Duke Snider at the former Holman Stadium in Vero Beach, Florida in 1998. (L.A. Daily News file photo)

The Los Angeles City Council unanimously approved a proposal Friday to rename Elysian Park Avenue from Sunset Blvd. to Stadium Way “Vin Scully Avenue.”

Councilman Gilbert Cedillo, who introduced the motion Tuesday, said that the name change could become official in 30 days, per city law.

“We have a community outreach requirement,” Cedillo said. “We’ll start today to see if the neighbors have input.”

Continue reading

Share this post ...
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on TumblrEmail this to someonePrint this page

Watch: Vin Scully looking forward to 2016 return ‘maybe because it’s my last year.’

In a forthcoming interview with SportsNet LA, Vin Scully says he will “definitely” return to the Dodgers in 2016 after a health issue forced him out of the booth for the final series of 2015.

Here is a clip from the interview with Alanna Rizzo, which will air on Access:SportsNet tomorrow night at 7 p.m. Pacific Time:

Share this post ...
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on TumblrEmail this to someonePrint this page

Vin Scully undergoes medical procedure, will miss the postseason.

Vin Scully

Vin Scully will not be in the broadcast booth this October. (Associated Press photo)

The Dodgers announced that Hall of Fame broadcaster Vin Scully underwent a “recommended medical procedure” this morning and is resting comfortably. Scully will miss the postseason.

The team offered no further details, remarking only that Scully “is looking forward to returning to the Dodgers for the 2016 season, his 67th with the Dodgers.”

Last season, the 87-year-old broadcaster was relegated to radio duties for the Dodgers’ first-round series against the St. Louis Cardinals. TBS holds the television rights to the National League playoffs this year.

Share this post ...
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on RedditShare on TumblrEmail this to someonePrint this page