Thursday Final: San Dimas holds off San Marino, 31-21 behind a big night from Domonic Jollevet

Badly in need of a knockout punch to get rid of pesky San Marino, the San Dimas High School football team turned to fullback Domonic Jollevet. He did not disappoint. Jollevet broke away for a 77-yard touchdown run with just under three minutes to play to turn a three-point San Dimas lead into a 31-21 victory over the Titans in the first round of the Mid-Valley Division playoffs at Citrus College on Thursday night.

“I was very nervous when they cut the lead to three,” said Jollevet, who rushed for 216 yards and two scores. “What I decided to do was run hard, and I saw the hole, saw the goal posts and I said `screw the cutback, I’m gonna take it this way.’

“I told everyone on the team that if you put the team on your back, I’ll put the team on my back and hopefully we’ll pull out with this win and keep going.”

The win improved San Dimas to 9-2. The Saints are the division’s No. 3 seed and will face the winner of the Valley Christian-Azusa game, which will be played tonight at Citrus College. San Marino finished 7-4.

Not many fans outside the prestigious 91108 zip code expected the Titans to push San Dimas to the brink. But the Titans got big performances from quarterback Matt Wofford (214 yards passing) and running back Kwame Do, who ran for 122 yards and three touchdowns.

San Dimas twice had double-digit leads, but San Marino wouldn’t go away. After Dillon Corona hit a 24-yard field goal to put San Dimas up 24-14 late in the third quarter, the Titans made their final surge.

Wofford drove his team 80 yards in just under seven minutes and Do finished the drive with a 1-yard touchdown run to make it 24-21 with 3:36 left.

San Marino didn’t attempt an onside kick, instead kicking short and deciding to play defense with two timeouts remaining. But Jollevet took his 14th carry of the night straight up the middle and into the end zone to seal the win.

“They are a good football team,” Saints coach Bill Zernickow of San Marino. “So it wasn’t a surprise so much as it was us not executing and turning the ball over two times in the end zone. Believe it or not, I’ll take an ugly win over a pretty loss.”

San Dimas helped the Titans stay in the game by twice turning the ball over deep in San Marino territory. In the first half, San Dimas had a pass intercepted in the end zone to kill a drive and in the second half the Saints fumbled the ball into zone to end another. Both plays resulted in touchbacks for San Marino.

“We’re going to do a lot of drills next week to improve that,” Zernickow said. “It’s very uncharacteristic of what we’ve been doing. I can’t remember the last time when we fumbled balls into the end zone and stuff like that.”

San Dimas darted to a 14-0 lead and looked like it may cruise into the second round.

Jake Payton’s 9-yard touchdown started the scoring on San Dimas’ first possession. After getting the ball back, quarterback Shawn Kennedy concluded San Dimas’ second possession by hitting Devante Brown on a 19-yard touchdown pass.

San Marino methodically drove down field and answered with a 2-yard run by Do. The Titans defense held San Dimas on its ensuing possession and the score was soon tied after a 3-yard touchdown by Do.

Jollevet gave San Dimas the lead back for good by taking the third play of the second half 58 yards for a TD and a 21-14 advantage.”Domonic did a great job for us,” Zernickow said. “I think we had 24 plays in the first half for two scores, so we have to get better than that.”

• SM

Calling it now, SM beats SD in a close one. The Saints have no answer for our power running game. 31-28 Final

• CO Bro

Just wanted to wish all the San Dimas Saints good luck tonight, play smart and play safe.

• Philly B.

With the stable of running backs that San Dimas has, I dont see how san Marino beats them tonight…Unless The titans have some sort of depth in their front seven. I just see it. And great point…titans have seen the wing T offense…but not with the talent of the saints. Good Luck SM…your gonna need it.

• Colt74

Was going to go to the game tonight but after a lengthy argument with a bad back the 2 broken discs won out.

Have a good game Saints and will follow your success thru Freds tweets.

Saints 38-14

• Mtownclown

Goodluck SM!! Titans rep the RIO!

• coltfan97

S.D. what is going on??????

• Mtownclown

San Marino can play!! kwame Do is the truth!

• Rankings, preseason, and Peaking…..

Be Careful believing in the rankings, preseason wins, etc…two hours ago San Dimas was all that, they beat monrovia, Pomona, Etc…etc…Tonight showed that you better not overlook any one…I watched the game, I’ll tell you right now, San Dimas will be a underdog against Arroyo and maybe Cerritos valley too!.. They will not be able to contain Rivera and Arroyo’s passing attack. Seriously, San Dimas is in trouble…another game like that they will be at home. The important thing is that they won…and that’s all you care about. However, we may want to slow down, and re-evaluate, who the powers are in the Midvalley…San Marino had their chances, and they did not execute at the end. Tough lost, but I am not sure the Rio Hondo is as weak as people are saying…too bad No one will see how good south Pas is…Well Tomorrow we continue.

• RHL Fan

Rankings, I was at the game too. I don’t think it was that San Dimas played bad, it was that SM is better than advertised. The Titans played their hearts out and lost to a good San Dimas team. They really repped the Rio Hondo and they will be a force to be reckoned with next year.

• The Rio Hondo is weak….? psych!

RHL Fan you are correct…a lot of midvalley bloggers think their league is all that and others are weak…all the leagues have at least 2-3 good teams, who. San Dimas found out last night that the Rio hOndo can play ball….Well tonite it’s on.

• The Rio Hondo is weak….? psych!

• The Rio Hondo is weak….? psych!

• Breaker87

The first team forced from their strength(power running) loses and that’s what happened last night. I called an upset and came close. SM fought back from 14-0 and almost had an opportunity to take a 17-14 lead at half but a mistake takes us out of FG range. That would have been huge for the Titans. Titans are mostly juniors and sophs this year and will be back next year with experience, depth and a very good coach. Look out!

• SaintsR4real

Congratulations to San Marino for bringing a very good, smart, tough football game to us. Our players had nothing but good things to say about you. No excuses, you guys brought it and will continue to get better if you stick to your program and bright coaching.

Others: Nothings changed, the Saints keep marching on. BTW, were a few changes that effected our performance (not to take away from SM).

Best of luck to Azusa, you guys need to keep it going, you deserve it!!

SAINTS NATION LIVES ON!!!!