St. Lucy’s dream of a state championship ends

By Damien Secore, Correspondent
Having already gone farther than any other athletic team in school history, the goal for the St. Lucy girls’ volleyball team was to take another step forward. Going on the road to face 2008-09 CIF state champion La Costa Canyon and a lineup that included five players who were at least 6 feet tall proved to be too tall an order, literally and figuratively. The Regents lost a late lead in the match’s pivotal third game and fell in the CIF State Division II Southern California Regional Final for the second consecutive year as host La Costa Canyon parlayed its power and height into a 25-19, 18-25, 25-22, 25-18 victory.

“At the end of the day, their size was just a little too much to overcome,” St. Lucy’s coach Sean Douglas said. “I knew they were big and we prepared and practiced for it. But there’s not very many 6-foot-3 girls walking around on our campus to practice with us.”

The Regents (29-7), who won their second consecutive CIF-Southern Section championship on Nov. 18, saw their eight-match win streak halted.

The Mavericks (31-8), who moved from Division I to Division II this year and won their eighth consecutive CIF-San Diego Section girls’ volleyball title earlier this month, faces Northern California champion St. Francis (33-7) in Saturday’s CIF State Division II championship match at 5p.m. at Concordia University.

St. Lucy’s, with only two players on the roster at least 6-feet tall, faced its biggest and
most powerful competition of the year. La Costa controlled the net, thanks to its 6-2 front line of Natalie Bausback, Brittany Abercrombie and Cosy Burnette.

The teams split the first two games and the Regents were poised to take the third game with leads of 8-3, 17-13 and 20-17, but the Mavericks scored the last four points of the game. La Costa Canyon’s Jordan Robbins had three kills and a block to win four of the Mavericks’ last eight points.

“Coverage and defense, we knew that those two things were going to have to be there,” said senior co-captain Jackie Macy. “I think we got kind of complacent, looking forward to the (fourth) game.”

• http://www.facebook.com/RegsEdge @RegsEdge

Scores from tonight’s
    California State Girls Volleyball SoCal & NorCal Regional Championships

DIVISION II
    SoCal Region: La Costa Canyon def St. Lucy’s 3-1
    25-18, 18-25, 25-22, 25-18
    La Costa Canyon advances to the CIF State DII Championship this Saturday December 3, 5:00 p.m. @ Concordia University vs. Presentation.
    NorCal Region: Presentation def. St. Francis 3-2
    25-20, 22-25, 22-25, 25-23 & 18-16.

DIVISION I
    SoCal Region: Marymount def. Los Alamitos (#1 rated team in the Country) 3-1
    21-25, 25-20, 25-20 & _____
    Marymount advances to the CIF State DI Championship this Saturday
    December 3, 7:00 p.m. @ Concordia University vs. Palo Alto.
    NorCal Region:
    Palo Alto def Menlo-Atherton 3-0
    25-17, 25-8 & 25-15.

follow me: @RegsEdge

• Regents

The Regents have much to be proud of….To win 2 back to back CIF titles and to go to the Regional Finals for the last two years is a huge accomplishment.

I know many would think the ride and experience is as good as it gets (and in so many ways it is). However, when you are there, on the ride, you don’t really get to celebrate the CIF win which is the top in most peoples books. The fact that they have gone so far is incredible and just a few years ago, these blogs were exploding with haters saying St. Lucy’s didn’t have what it took to win a CIF title much less any state qualifying wins.

The Regents have a great deal to be proud of and to have back to back CIF rings is a huge accomplishment for both Sean Douglas & staff and the St. Lucy’s athletes. Congratulations on a magnificent season. Would love to see a three-peat. Many returners for the next year (Caustrita, Davis, Roher, Hageman, Bast, LaPierre, Young) that can make all the difference.

Reloaded….Indeed.

• VB Fan

Congratulations to St Lucy’s for a great season!

Fred, thank you for at least covering the playoffs for volleyball. Since you guys can no longer have someone reporting directly from the games, I hope you get the word out to get parent volunteers for next year to send in scores. If you open up blog posts at least it would allow scores to be posted. It was tough to follow what was going on this year and the season seemed to lack the same passion we saw in previous years.