Safety Jaleel Wadood was included on the watch list for the Jim Thorpe Award. (MICAH ESCAMILLA — STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER)
UCLA safety Jaleel Wadood earned a spot on the Jim Thorpe Award Watch List for the second straight year Friday as the senior was included in the preliminary 45-man group vying for the title as the nation’s top defensive back.
The St. John Bosco alum led the UCLA secondary in tackles last year with 77, which ranked third on the team, and was named honorable mention All-Pac-12 by the conference’s coaches. The Bruins gave up only 12 touchdown passes last season, the fewest in the Pac-12. Wadood is one of two returning starters in the secondary for UCLA, along with cornerback Nate Meadors.
A list of the Bruins included on watch lists so far:
- Josh Rosen (Maxwell — best college player)
- Kenny Young (Bednarik — best defensive player)
- Scott Quessenberry (Rimington — best center; Outland — best interior lineman)
- Austin Roberts (Mackey — best tight end)
- Jaleel Wadood (Thorpe — best defensive back)