VIDEO: Jonah Bolden practices with UCLA after being cleared

Jonah Bolden practiced for the first time in front of Los Angeles media on Tuesday, providing a glimpse at the type of player that could have changed the arc of UCLA’s season.

A four-star recruit, the 6-foot-10 wing was ruled ineligible to play this season, but this week the NCAA cleared him to begin practicing. Bolden said that he had been able to get individual training with assistant coach with Ed Schilling over the past few months. He described those as being tailored for his frame and body type, name-dropping Milwaukee’s Giannis Antetokounmpo as a pro comparison.

Added head coach Steve Alford: “He’s a big guard, or he can play a stretch four and really do a lot of things helping both bigs and guards.”

Facebook Twitter Plusone Digg Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email

VIDEO: UCLA’s Jonah Bolden talks about being cleared practice

Jonah Bolden was cleared to practice with UCLA this week, four months after being ruled ineligible to play this season by the NCAA.

Today, the four-star wing spoke to reporters for the first time, touching on what he’s been working on in his game and what he sees in his future.

Asked if he’s considering entering the NBA draft over returning to UCLA next season, the 6-foot-9 Bolden said: “Most definitely, my goal is to get to the NBA, but my main priority right now is here at UCLA.”

Facebook Twitter Plusone Digg Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email

Four-star foward Jonah Bolden cleared to practice with UCLA

Talented true freshman Jonah Bolden has been cleared to practice with the UCLA men’s basketball team, giving the Bruins a bit of help as they try to shake off seven losses in their last 10 games.

A four-star small forward, Bolden will remain ineligible to compete in games this season. The NCAA had ruled the 6-foot-9 recruit a partial qualifier back in September, with the troubles rooted in his transfer from Australia to Findlay Prep in Las Vegas.

Continue reading

Facebook Twitter Plusone Digg Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email

Graduate transfer guard Jon Octeus denied admission to UCLA

The hits keep coming for UCLA basketball.

For the second time in four days, the Bruins lost a player expected to contribute immediately during Steve Alford’s second season. As first reported by the Coloradoan, potential graduate transfer guard Jon Octeus has been denied admission to UCLA.

Octeus had averaged 13.4 points, 4.7 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game as a junior at Colorado State last season, and had intended to play his final season with the Bruins.

UCLA’s backcourt rotation now consists of senior Norman Powell, and sophomores Bryce Alford, Isaac Hamilton and Noah Allen.

The Bruins also lost the services of true freshman Jonah Bolden, a four-star wing who last Friday was ruled a partial qualifier and thus ineligible to play the 2014-15 season.

Facebook Twitter Plusone Digg Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email

UCLA four-star forward Jonah Bolden declared ineligible

UCLA will enter its second season under Steve Alford without a promising freshman.

A school spokesperson confirmed that four-star forward Jonah Bolden was ruled a partial qualifier by the NCAA, meaning that he must sit out the entire 2014-15 season. He will remain on scholarship.

According to ESPN, the problem was caused by the fact that Bolden moved from Australia to Findlay Prep in Las Vegas after his senior season had already started. Continue reading

Facebook Twitter Plusone Digg Reddit Stumbleupon Tumblr Email