TMZ: Oscar De La Hoya arrested early Wednesday in Pasadena for DUI

Despite the loss of his company’s CEO and a recent stint in a rehab facility, Golden Boy Promotions founder Oscar De La Hoya is back in full swing during a press conference last week in Carson. (Photo by Gene Blevins)

Oscar De La Hoya/Photo by Gene Blevins


Oscar De La Hoya told this newspaper during a June 2014 sit-down that he was through with alcohol. This declaration came some nine months after his second trip to a rehab facility, where he was treated for alcohol and cocaine abuse.

But according to TMZ, De La Hoya on early Wednesday was arrested in Pasadena for driving under the influence. There are currently no further details available.

Eric Gomez, De La Hoya’s longtime friend who is also president of De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions, returned a phone call seeking comment. However, he had little to say because he said he was in the dark until his phone started ringing Wednesday afternoon after he conducted a news conference for Saturday’s Golden Boy card in Indio.

“I can’t comment,” Gomez said. “I don’t have any information to begin with. But the attorneys are looking into everything.”

De La Hoya was asked in June 2014 if he understood he can never drink again. He responded in the affirmative.

“I’m convinced one thousand percent, a thousand percent, that I can’t,” he said. “That’s in my heart, that’s in my head. And that’s why I continue do work every single day. … That’s what it is. For the rest of my life. What that means is several things. I’m going to work harder than ever, I’m going to work honestly, I’m going to do what I really love doing, with passion. I’m going to have a great family life. I’m going to live life and do what I love doing. And that’s boxing. I can’t wait. I’m excited. I really am.”

De La Hoya is chairman of Golden Boy, one of the world’s top promotional companies. De La Hoya the fighter was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2014.



Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Report: alleged beating ordered by Floyd Mayweather Jr. a ‘rumor,’ police say

TMZ has been reporting this week that Floyd Mayweather Jr. allegedly arranged a beating of two men who had worked at his home “several weeks ago” and allegedly stole some jewelry from Mayweather’s Las Vegas home. But according to Las Vegas Metro Police, it is just a “rumor,” as reported Friday in the New York Daily News.
Laura Meltzer, a public information officer for the Las Vegas Metro Police Department, told the New York Daily News that at this time there is no investigation because no one has come forward to lodge a complaint.
“So I’ve been trying to put this rumor to rest all week,” Meltzer said in a phone interview with the New York Daily News. “We’ve had a variety of reports that have come out stating this even occurred. We have not had a victim come forward and make a report like what is being alleged.
“So if this even occurred, it’s something where the victim has not come forward to the police to make an official complaint.”

A phone call to Leonard Ellerbe, CEO of Mayweather Promotions, has not yet been returned.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail