Video: De La Hoya not a fan of Mayweather, rooting Pacquiao

Oscar De La Hoya, speaking from inside the Golden Boy Promotions office in Downtown L.A. on Tuesday, described Manny Pacquiao as the hero and Floyd Mayweather Jr. as the villain in what’s being billed as “The Fight of The Century.”

“Mayweather has this image,” he said. “The money and the flash and this-and-that. As person I don’t know him to well to judge him, but from what I’ve read, what I’ve heard, I just don’t like what he represents.”

De La Hoya, who has brought boxing back to Downtown L.A. with Golden Boy Promotions’ L.A. Fight Club, added that boxing fans want to see Pacquiao win Saturday’s fight.

“The majority of the fans out there want to see Manny Pacquiao give Floyd Mayweather his first loss,” including De La Hoya himself. “I’m a huge Pacquiao fan and I’m rooting for Pacquiao.”

See more of what De La Hoya had to say in the video below, also check out more of his interview in this column by the L.A. Daily News’ Mark Whicker.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Julian Ramirez shuts out Raul Hidalgo in L.A. Fight Club main event at Belasco

 

Julian Ramirez/Photo courtesy of Carlos Baeza

 

Julian “El Camaron” Ramirez of Los Angeles is now 14-0 after winning a lopsided unanimous decision over Raul Hidalgo of Mexico in the 10-round featherweight main event Thursday at Belasco Theater in Los Angeles. The card was part of Oscar De La Hoya’s L.A. Fight Club series.

Ramirez, just 22, won by three scores of 100-90 as Hidalgo (23-13) did not win a round.

Ramirez did good work both to the head and body.

 

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Oscar De La Hoya can’t wait for Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez-James Kirkland fight

Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez/Photo courtesy of Golden Boy Promotions

 

Oscar De La Hoya on Monday spoke in excited tones during a telephone conversation with this newspaper. If we had been face-timing, chances are we would have been able to see that the smile never came off De La Hoya’s face. He’s that jazzed about the May 9 junior middleweight fight between Saul “Canelo” Alvarez of Mexico and James Kirkland at Minute Maid Park in Houston (on HBO).

De La Hoya was stoked to report that, so far, at least 30,000 tickets have been sold.

“It’s incredible, it’s unbelievable,” said De La Hoya, who is promoting the fight under his Golden Boy Promotions banner. “I mean, look, ‘Canelo’-mania is stronger than ever.”

De La Hoya said he has no doubt the fight will sell out. The seating capacity at Minute Maid is 40,950.

There’s more that has De La Hoya chomping at the bit for this fight. It’s what might happen in the fight itself. Alvarez, just 24, has only one loss and that was to Floyd Mayweather Jr. With a record of 44-1-1 with 31 knockouts, Alvarez has a knockout ratio of 67.3 percent. Kirkland, of Austin, Texas, at 32-1 with 28 knockouts has a knockout ratio of 84.5 percent. Plus, Kirkland is a southpaw.

This could be vicious.

“I think given the fact that Kirkland is such an aggressive, in-your-face type of fighter, the fact that he’s just really, really motivated about fighting ‘Canelo’, I mean, it’s a dangerous fight,” De La Hoya said. “When you have a knockout artist up in the ring, it only takes one punch. So ‘Canelo’, given the fact that he’s a fighter with a lot of pride, he’s a fighter who wants to give the fight fans a good show – especially in Houston, practically in his hometown – it’s going to be one of those fights.”

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

PHOTOS: Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez and James Kirkland host news conference

Saul “Canelo” Alvarez of Mexico and James Kirkland of Austin, Texas on Tuesday played host to a news conference at Minute Maid Park in Houston promoting their junior middleweight fight there May 9 (on HBO). The card is being staged by Oscar De La Hoya and his Golden Boy Promotions. The ultra-popular Alvarez, 24, is 44-1-1 with 31 knockouts. Kirkland, who will be 31 on March 19, is 32-1 with 28 knockouts. This should be an outstanding main event. Check out some of the photos from the news conference:

 

Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez, top, poses with fans at the news conference at Minute Maid Park in Houston. The fighters and their camps meet on the dais (middle photo) and James Kirkland, bottom, does interviews after the proceedings/Photos Tony Bullard, Hogan Photos, Golden Boy Promotions

 

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Talks for May 2 fight between Miguel Cotto and ‘Canelo’ Alvarez called off

Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez/Photo courtesy of Golden Boy Promotions

 

Negotiations for a potential May 2 fight between middleweight champion and Miguel Cotto and former junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez have stalled and been suspended, Oscar De La Hoya said Saturday.

According to a report on ESPN.com, De La Hoya – Alvarez’s promoter – called off the talks because Cotto and his team did not meet a Friday deadline to agree to terms. The report indicated the Cotto camp was not happy with the money being offered.
This would seem to open the possibility of a rematch between Cotto and Floyd Mayweather Jr. should Mayweather not sign for the much-anticipated fight with Manny Pacquiao.
Cotto lost a 12-round unanimous decision to Mayweather in May 2012 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

What will settlement with Richard Schaefer mean for Golden Boy Promotions?

Oscar De La Hoya/Photo by Associated Press

 

Now that Golden Boy Promotions and former CEO Richard Schaefer have reached a settlement, it will be interesting to see how Golden Boy and president Oscar De La Hoya react.

We say that because as part of the settlement, De La Hoya agreed to sever ties with several Al Haymon fighters who were being promoted by Golden Boy, but were not under promotional contract to De La Hoya’s company. Among them – according to several publications – reportedly are Danny Garcia, Keith Thurman, Marcos Maidana and heavyweight contender Deontay Wilder. According to ESPN.com, Wilder’s challenge to heavyweight champion Bermane Stiverne on Saturday figures to be Wilder’s last under the Golden Boy banner.

According to reports, Schaefer will still have to sit out an unspecified amount of time before he can promote again because he was under contract to Golden Boy through 2018. A source told ESPN.com it could be one to two years.

Schaefer had resigned in June after a long run as the company CEO. He was eventually taken to arbitration by De La Hoya for $50 million. There was no exact word on the monetary part of the settlement, but ESPN.com reported that Schaefer may have to give up his roughly eight percent stock in Golden Boy, which apparently also will receive millions of dollars.

Indeed, how Golden Boy marches on from here will be interesting to see. De La Hoya is supposedly cool with the settlement, so that’s good. But several of the solid fighters he’s been using to add punch to his cards, are gone.

Time will tell.

 

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Oscar De La Hoya named Boxing Promoter of the Year by SI

Oscar De Hoya/Photo by Associated Press

 

Oscar De La Hoya, president of Golden Boy Promotions, has been named Boxing Promoter of the Year by Sports Illustrated.

“I’m humbled and honored and thank Sports Illustrated for this incredible recognition,” De La Hoya said in a statement. “When I was inducted to the Boxing Hall of Fame in June, I made a promise that Golden Boy Promotions would focus all of its energies on a simple premise – bringing the best fights to the fans of our sport. In 2014, we started to deliver on that promise, but we have only scratched the surface of what is possible. Working with our outstanding stable of fighters, our fellow promoters and everyone else in our sport who shares our goals, 2015 is primed to be a huge year for boxing.”

 

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Oscar De La Hoya on Saturday will host annual turkey giveaway

Image

Joseph Diaz Jr., a 2012 U.S. Olympian out of South El Monte, will be among the fighters assisting in the annual turkey giveaway/Photo courtesy of Golden Boy Promotions

 

Promoter Oscar De La Hoya on Saturday will host his annual turkey giveaway at Oscar De La Hoya Animo Charter High School in East Los Angeles beginning at 10:30 a.m.

Among the Golden Boy Promotions fighters expected to be on hand are Gabriel Rosado of Philadelphia, Julian Ramirez of East Los Angeles, Joseph Diaz Jr. of South El Monte and Diego De La Hoya, Oscar De La Hoya’s 20-year-old cousin from Mexicali.

(Note: The families receiving the turkeys have been pre-selected.)

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez leaves Showtime to re-join HBO

Image

Saul “Canelo” Alvarez/Photo courtesy of Golden Boy Promotions

 

Saul “Canelo” Alvarez on Tuesday signed an agreement to return to HBO beginning with his next fight in December, the interested parties announced.

Alvarez, an ultra-popular former super welterweight champion from Mexico, fought seven times on HBO between 2010 and 2012. He moved over to Showtime after his promoter – Golden Boy Promotions – and HBO had a falling out and HBO said it would no longer work with Golden Boy.

That edict eased when HBO signed on to televise the upcoming light-heavyweight title fight between Golden Boy’s Bernard Hopkins and Sergey Kovalev on Nov. 8 in Atlantic City.

Alvarez has fought his five most recent fights on rival Showtime. Terms of his new agreement with HBO were not disclosed.

“For all of my career, I have wanted to fight on HBO for one main reason –  I believe it will allow more of my fans to see me in action,” said Alvarez, who is 44-1-1 with 31 knockouts. “Today marks a huge milestone for me, and I look forward to a long and successful partnership with HBO.”

Oscar De La Hoya, president of Golden Boy, was stoked.

“I’m thrilled to be part of this historic agreement between ‘Canelo’ Álvarez and HBO Sports, an agreement that marks another major step in Golden Boy Promotions’ primary goal to give boxing fans the fights they want to see,” he said.

Ken Hersham, president of HBO Sports, seemed equally jazzed.

“Everyone at HBO is excited to welcome back ‘Canelo’ Álvarez to the HBO family, and we can’t wait to re-introduce him to our subscribers,” Hershman said. “At only 24 years old, ‘Canelo’ has already established himself as one of the boxing world’s brightest stars, and we look forward to a long and mutually beneficial relationship as we embark on this new chapter together.”

Alvarez last fought in July and won a split-decision over Erislandy Lara at MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Alvarez lost his two super welterweight world titles to Floyd Mayweather jr. via majority decision in September 2013.

 

 

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Oscar De La Hoya says fight with Erislandy Lara is personal for ‘Canelo’

Image

Saul “Canelo” Alvarez/photo by Tom Hogan – Hoganphotos/Golden Boy Promotions

A lot of smack has been talked by Cuba’s Erislandy Lara ahead of his July 12 junior middleweight title fight against Saul “Canelo” Alvarez of Mexico at MGM Grand in Las Vegas (on Showtime pay-per-view).

Oscar De La Hoya, who is promoting the fight under his Golden Boy Promotions banner, believes Alvarez has taken Lara’s mouthing off to heart.

“It’s going to be a great fight; I don’t want to predict anything,” De La Hoya said Tuesday. “Lara has been doing a lot of trash-talking that has been fueling ‘Canelo.’ I see him at an entirely different level and it’s exactly where he should be. He’s at a level of determination where he really wants to get this guy. It’s personal.”

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail