Petr Petrov, a 16-year veteran, earns his second shot at major world title


Petr Petrov, right, lands a punch to the face of Michael Perez/Photo by Kyte Monroe, Banner Promotions


Petr Petrov of Russia has been a professional boxer for nearly 16 years, but he has never held a major world title. Petrov should now get his second opportunity to fight for one.

Petrov on Friday night stopped Michael Perez (24-2-2) of Newark, N.J., after six rounds of their lightweight main event slated for 12 rounds at Fantasy Springs Casino in Indio. It was a title-elimination bout, which means Petrov (38-4-2, 19 KOs) could get a shot at WBA champion Jorge Linares.

“This victory is what I have been working for, to be so close to a world title shot,” said Petrov, 33. Petrov previously fought for a super lightweight world title, but was stopped in the fourth round by Marcos Maidana in September 2011.

Petrov’s promoter, Artie Pelullo of Banner Promotions,  liked what he saw.

“Petr looked sensational,” Pelullo said. “He has been getting better every fight, and this is the best he has looked. He has really earned his title opportunity. … Now we will look to make the WBA world title bout as quickly as possible.”
Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Two area heavyweights to fight Friday night in Boxcino tourney on ESPN2

Promoter Artie Pelullo/Photo courtesy of

A week ago Friday it was the junior middleweight division that took center stage in the Boxcino tournament staged by longtime promoter Artie Pelullo and his Banner Promotions. Tonight (Friday) at 6 on ESPN2, it’s the heavyweights and there are two area boxers involved – Razvan Cojanu and Andrey Fedosov.

Cojanu, of Burbank via Romania, is 12-1 with seven knockouts. He’ll take on Ed “Tex” Fountain (10-0, 4 KOs) of Ferguson, Mo., in a quarterfinals bout.

Fedosov, of Hollywood via Russia, is 25-3 with 20 knockouts. He’ll square off against Nate “Heaven Sent” Heavern (9-1, 7 KOs) of Ocala, Fla.

The bouts will take place at Turning Stone Resort & Casino in Verona, N.Y. The winners will advance to the semifinals in April.

All tournament bouts will be televised by ESPN2, with the champions being crowned with regional titles. They’ll also earn top-10 rankings in two of the four major governing bodies.


Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Three local fighters to begin their quests for glory in Boxcino tournament

Promoter Artie Pelullo/Photo courtesy of


Three local fighters on Friday will begin their quests for a top-10 world ranking when they begin participation in the eight-fighter junior middleweight tournament known as Boxcino.

The creation of longtime promoter Artie Pelullo, Boxcino will give fighters an opportunity to  not only be crowned with two regional titles, but earn top-10 rankings in two major governing bodies. All tournament bouts will be televised by ESPN2. The heavyweight portion of Boxcino will begin a week from Friday.

Brandon “The Cannon” Adams of Norwalk via Lynwood, Vardan “Vito” Gasparyan of Burbank and Cleotis “Mookie” Pendarvis of Los Angeles will box in Friday’s junior middleweight quarterfinals at Mohegan Sun Casino in Unasville, Conn.

Adams (15-1, 10 KOs) will take on Alex Perez (18-1, 10 KOs) of Newark, N.J.; Gasparyan (14-3-5, 8 KOs) will go against Simeon “Candy Man” Hardy (13-0, 10 KOs) of the Bronx, N.Y.; and Pendarvis (17-4-2, 6 KOs) will square off with Ricardo Pinell (10-1-1, 6 KOs) of San Francisco.

Adams lost to Willie Monroe Jr. in the finals of the 2014 Boxcino middleweight tournament.

All quarterfinals bouts are six rounds, semifinals are eight rounds with the championship bout slated for 10.


Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Chavez-Vera fight Saturday at StubHub Center will be contested at 173 pounds

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and Bryan Vera were originally supposed to fight at a catch-weight of 163 pounds Saturday at StubHub Center. Then it was moved to 165, then to 168 and now to 173 as Chavez has had difficulty holding up his end of the weight bargain.

Bob Arum, who promotes former middleweight champion Chavez, on Tuesday told reporters he would sit down with Vera’s promoter, Artie Pelullo, to discuss a new weight above 168. At Wednesday’s final news conference, Arum said we would all have to “Wait for the weight,” at Friday’s weigh-in.

However, late Wednesday night, Ronnie Shields – Vera’s trainer – told that a new agreement for 173 pounds was reached, and that Vera would be financially compensated for basically putting up with what has turned out to be a ridiculous scenario, even by boxing’s standards. The bout – which will be televised by HBO – also has been reduced from 12 rounds to 10.

Chavez (46-1-1, 32 KOs), still just 27, had trouble making the middleweight limit of 160, and now he can’t even make 168.

According to Shields, the 31-year-old Vera (23-6, 14 KOs), of Austin, Texas, weighed 167 on Wednesday, one under the limit at which he thought he was going to fight Chavez.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail