Ruslan Provodnikov and Chris Algieri make weight for their showdown Saturday

Image

Photo courtesy of Rich Villa, Star Boxing

Junior welterweight champion Ruslan Provodnikov of Russia and Chris Algieri of Huntington, N. Y. both made weight Friday for their fight Saturday at Barclays Center in Brooklyn (on HBO).

Provodnikov (23-2, 16 KOs) weighed in at 139.8 pounds and Algieri (19-0, 8 KOs) came in at the 140-pound limit.

HBO will also televise the replay of this past Saturday’s middleweight title fight between Sergio Martinez and Miguel Cotto, won by Cotto via 10th-round TKO.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

HBO’s Jim Lampley apologizes for confusing Norwalk’s Carlos Molina with Chicago’s

HBO’s Jim Lampley on Monday issued a formal apology for the mistake he made in this past Saturday’s version of “The Fight Game with Jim Lampley.”

Lampley was previewing the May 3 card in Las Vegas featuring Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Marcos Maidana in the main event (on Showtime pay-per-view), when he came with this: “On his undercard Amir Khan is facing Luis Collazo and Adrien Broner fights Carlos Molina.  Collazo is regarded as dangerous for Khan, but Molina has spent the bulk of the past few months in jail.”

Unfortunately, the Carlos Molina who has been in jail is a junior middleweight from Chicago. The Carlos Molina who is slated to fight Broner in the junior welterweight division is from Norwalk, and he has not been in jail.

“Saturday night on the latest edition of ‘The Fight Game’ on HBO, I made an embarrassing mistake,” Lampley said in a statement. “I confused light welterweight contender Carlos Molina of Norwalk, CA  with 154-pound fighter Carlos Molina of Chicago.  Los Angeles native Carlos Molina has an important fight on May 3 versus Adrien Broner in Las Vegas.  None of the legal issues confronting Carlos Molina of Chicago have anything to do with the younger Molina.  I apologize to Mr. Molina for confusing the matter as he prepares for his important prizefight next month.”

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

HBO takes its April 26 date off the table after Gennady Golovkin pulls out

A proposed bout between middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin and Andy Lee at Madison Square Garden in New York City was recently called off because of the unexpected death of Golovkin’s father.

That bout was to be televised by HBO, which said Wednesday it will no longer televise any card on that date.

“… With Gennady unavailable to us, HBO is moving off the date. We will move on to our other boxing programming initiatives for the spring and early summer,” an HBO spokesman wrote in a statement.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Golovkin will mourn father, will not defend title against Andy Lee on April 26

Trainer Abel Sanchez told us just last week that middleweight world champion Gennady Golovkin would likely be announcing his next title defense – April 26 against Andy Lee – this week. But over the weekend Golovkin decided to stay in his native Kazakhstan to observe a 40-day mourning period for the sudden loss of his father, Gennady Ivanovich Golovkin.

The elder Golovkin was just 68 when he died of a  heart attack on Feb. 18.

“Everything in regard to Gennady’s boxing career is currently on hold,” said Tom Loeffler, an executive with K2-Promotions, which promotes Golovkin. “His priority is to spend time with his family and at the appropriate time he will advise us when he is ready to continue his boxing career.”

Golovkin is trained by West Covina’s Sanchez out of his gym in Big Bear.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. leaves no doubt this time in victory over Bryan Vera

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. of Mexico on Saturday night won a unanimous decision over Bryan Vera in the super middleweight main event at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

Former middleweight champion Chavez won the 12-round bout televised by HBO by scores of 117-110 (Ruben Carrion), 117-110 (Max DeLuca) and 114-113 (David Sutherland). The fight came about six months after their first fight, where an out-of-shape Chavez was scored a unanimous-decision winner of a 10-round fight at StubCenter Center that most fans and reporters thought should have gone to Vera.

Chavez, who turned 28 on Feb. 16, is now 48-1-1 with 32 knockouts. Vera, 32, of Austin, Texas, is 23-8 with 14 knockouts.

Orlando Salido of Mexico won a 12-round split-decision over Vasyl Lomachenko in the semi-main event. Salido (41-12-2, 28 KOs) was scored the winner by judges Jack Reiss (116-112) and Oren Shellenberger (115-113). The other judge – Levin Martinez – gave it to Lomachenko by a 115-113 count.

Salido lost his featherweight title on the scales when he did not make weight Friday. He was not eligible to win it back Saturday. Only Lomachenko (1-1), of Ukraine, could have left with the belt. As it stands, that title will be vacant.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Zou Shiming comes through with first knockout of his professional career

Zou Shiming won a bronze medal in the 2004 Olympic Games and gold medals in the 2008 and 2012 Games. But when the flyweight from China did not stop any of his first three opponents inside the distance, he had some wondering if that amateur success was going to translate to the professional level.

Shiming on Saturday finally came through with his first knockout as a prize-fighter, stopping Yokthong Kotietgym of Thailand at 2:09 of the seventh round in Macau, China. Their bout was slated for eight rounds.

Shiming, 32, is now 4-0 with 1 knockout. Kotietgym, just 19, is 15-4.

Their bout was televised on HBO2.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Promoter Bob Arum not sure what to think when it comes to Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.’s weight

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. of Mexico on March 1 will fight a rematch with Bryan Vera at the Alamodome in San Antonio (on HBO). The fight is slated to take place at the 168-pound super middleweight limit.

Therein lies the intrigue. For their first fight, Chavez informed his promoter – Bob Arum – the week of that Sept. 28 bout at StubHub Center that he would not be able to make 168 pounds. The new weight was contracted for 173 pounds, two under the light heavyweight limit.

We asked Arum on Wednesday if he has heard any news out of Chavez’s camp regarding his weight and how he’s doing with it. Arum came with an interesting response.

“It’s like dealing with North Korea,” Arum said. “You don’t know what to believe.”

Chavez (47-1-1, 32 KOs) won an unpopular unanimous decision over Vera (23-7, 14 KOs) the first time. Vera is from Austin, Texas.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Mikey Garcia, Lamont Peterson get Saturday night victories in N.Y. and D.C.

Rivals Top Rank Inc. and Golden Boy Promotions on Saturday once again went up against each other with nationally televised shows on the same night.

Over at Madison Square Garden in New York City, Mikey Garcia of Oxnard retained his super featherweight title with a 12-round unanimous decision over Juan Carlos Burgos of Mexico. Garcia (34-0, 28 KOs) won by scores of 118-110, 118-110 and 119-109. Burgos is 30-2-2.

In the semi-main event, heavyweight contender Bryant Jennings (18-0, 10 KOs) of Philadelphia stopped Artur Szpilka (16-1) of Poland in the 10th round.

That Top Rank card was televised by HBO.

Over at DC Armory in Washington D.C., Lamont Peterson of Washington D.C. defended his super lightweight title with a 12-round unanimous decision over Dierry Jean of Canada. Peterson (32-2-1) won by scores of 115-13, 116-112 and 118-111. Jean is 25-1.

In the semi-main event, junior middleweight Jermell Charlo of Houston remained undefeated with a 10-round unanimous decision over tough Gabriel Rosado (21-8) of Philadelphia. Charlo (23-0) won by scores of 97-93, 99-91 and 100-90.

That Golden Boy Promotions card was televised by Showtime.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

It’s good to see that Bryan Vera is getting another shot at Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

Monday’s news that a rematch between Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and Bryan Vera is a done deal for March 1 at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas (on HBO) was good.

The two tangled Sept. 28 at StubHub Center in Carson with Chavez coming away with an unpopular unanimous decision. Vera fought the fight of his life, and Chavez was taken to task in a big way. Vera was the busier of the two, Chavez landed the harder blows.

What really steamed many was two scorecards that seemed well out of line. Carla Caiz had Chavez winning 96-94. But Marty Denkin and Gwen Adair had Chavez winning by scores of 97-93 and 98-92, respectively.

This was on the heels of Chavez being so unprofessional as to tell his camp the week of the fight that he could not make the 168-pound limit. Just like magic, Chavez and his team – including co-promoters- Bob Arum and Fernando Beltran – came up a new weight of 173. (Only in boxing, right?). Vera did make extra cash for agreeing to the change. But whatever joy he might have gotten from that quickly turned to misery when the scorecards were read following his gallant effort.

Glad this rematch is happening because Vera deserves it. By the way, the contracted weight for this fight is again 168, the super middleweight limit. Let’s see if Chavez, the former middleweight champion from Mexico, can train hard enough so we don’t have to see boxing embarrassed again when he comes up with another new weight.

Vera, 32, is from Austin, Texas. He is 27-3 with 14 knockouts. Chavez, 27, is 47-1-1 with 32 knockouts.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Report: Miguel Cotto turns down $10 million to fight ‘Canelo’ Alvarez, eyes Sergio Martinez

Former three-division world champion Miguel Cotto has turned down an offer of over $10 million  to fight former junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez in a fight that would have taken place in March, according to a report on ESPN.com.

Cotto apparently did so because he wants to instead pursue a fight with middleweight champion Sergio Martinez. According to the story, Cotto wants to fight June 7 in New York City on the weekend of the Puerto Rican Day parade, and he wants to fight for the middleweight title. Those two things out-weigh the notion that he will not get as much money to fight Martinez. If Cotto and Alvarez were to fight, it would have to be in March and no title would be up for grabs.

Golden Boy Promotions would have been lead promoter in the case of a Cotto and Alvarez fight as Golden Boy promotes Alvarez; it would have been televised on Showtime pay-per-view. If Cotto and Martinez is made, Top Rank will act as Cotto’s promoter, the story said, and the fight would be on HBO pay-per-view.

Lou DiBella, who promotes Martinez, said that while there have been talks for a fight with Cotto, the fight is not a done deal. DiBella also said Martinez wants the fight.

At question would be the weight. The fight presumably would be for Martinez’s 160-pound middleweight belt. The story suggests Cotto will be asking Martinez to meet him somewhere between junior middleweight (154) and middleweight.

Cotto has won titles at junior welterweight, welterweight and junior middleweight.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail