PHOTOS: Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao media workouts


Photos by Gene Blevins/LA Daily News

Floyd Mayweather Jr., in Las Vegas, and Manny Pacquiao, in Hollywood, worked out in front of the media Wednesday ahead of their mega clash on May 2.

Mayweather’s workout included a guest appearance from David Hasselhoff.

Pacquiao’s workout also drew a big crowd in Hollywood, where Bob Arum had some interesting things to say.

Below is a sample of our photos from the workout, but click the links to get the check out all of the photos (all 140 of them).




May Crowd




Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Associated Press: TV part of Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr. deal a go

Floyd Mayweather Jr. is shown here at a Clippers game in 2013/Staff photo by Michael Owen Baker, Los Angeles Daily News


By Tim Dahlberg, Associated Press

HBO and Showtime have agreed on how they would broadcast a fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao, promoter Bob Arum said Thursday, leaving only two remaining issues to be settled before the much anticipated May 2 fight can be signed.

Arum told The Associated Press that the rival networks have come to terms on an announcing team and other details for the pay-per-view blockbuster, and that talks this week have narrowed the remaining differences between the Mayweather and Pacquiao camps.

“We had four issues and we resolved two,” said Arum, who promotes Pacquiao. “Now we’re working on resolving the other two. Unless something else comes up at the last minute, that’s what my take is.”

Arum declined to say what those two issues are, saying he didn’t want to sabotage the negotiations just as they are reaching a critical juncture. And it was not clear whether the Mayweather side views the negotiations the same as Arum, or even if Mayweather will agree to the fight.

Mayweather’s adviser is Al Haymon, who reportedly has been doing the negotiating on his fighter’s behalf. But Haymon doesn’t talk to the media, and Mayweather communicates almost exclusively through social media.

Mayweather’s latest postings showed him enjoying a trip on a private jet to the Caribbean and getting a fish pedicure. He did post on social media last week that a media report the fight was a done deal was a “lie.”

Arum said the major financial points of the fight have been agreed to, including a reported 60-40 split in the purse in Mayweather’s favor. Based on the fight doing a record $200 million or more in revenue, Mayweather’s payday could be at least $120 million.

“There’s a lot of devil in the details and that’s what we’re sorting through now,” Arum said. “The remaining issues are obviously important to the participants, and are things we have to work out.”

Mayweather’s representatives have dictated most of the terms of the fight, and Arum said Mayweather will be the one to announce it if it is made.

Mayweather fights under contract to Showtime and Pacquiao to HBO, and there was speculation the two networks could hold up the fight by not coming to terms themselves. But talks between top executives have been ongoing for weeks, and HBO issued a statement Monday saying it was not an “impediment” to the fight.

“We stand ready to go,” the statement said. “The principals need to agree to terms and come to a deal.”

An HBO spokesman declined comment Thursday, and Showtime executives were not immediately made available for comment.

While Mayweather has been vacationing, Pacquiao was heading home Thursday to the Philippines after a trip to the U.S. and England. While in Miami for the pageant, Pacquiao attended a Miami Heat basketball game the same night Mayweather was there and the two fighters exchanged numbers and discussed the fight.

They later met for an hour, and Arum said the meeting convinced him that Mayweather wanted to make the fight.

Before heading home, Pacquiao also met in Washington with Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid and on Thursday attended the National Prayer Breakfast, where President Barack Obama spoke.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Manny Pacquiao signs two-year contract extension with Bob Arum’s Top Rank Inc.

Promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank Inc. has extended his promotional contract with Manny Pacquiao, and it will now run through 2016.

“We are pleased that together with our partners at HBO we will continue presenting to the public fights of the great Manny Pacquiao through the end of 2016,” Arum said in a statement.

Pacquiao’s contract was due to expire at the end of this year. He recently won a rematch against Timothy Bradley, along with it the welterweight championship. His next fight could be a fifth go-round with Juan Manuel Marquez, who will be offered the fight, Arum said. However, Marquez said after his unanimous-decision victory over Mike Alvarado on Saturday at the Fabulous Forum that he will confer with his team and family members before deciding if he wants it.

Marquez is 1-2-1 against Pacquiao. Marquez knocked Pacquiao cold with one punch in the sixth round of their fourth fight in December 2012.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Promoter Bob Arum: Manny Pacquiao-Timothy Bradley II coming at right time

Promoter Bob Arum is staging the April 12 rematch between Timothy Bradley and Manny Pacquiao at MGM Grand in Las Vegas (on HBO pay-per-view). Their first fight – in June 2012 at the same place – ended in controversy when Bradley was judged a split-decision winner over Pacquiao in a fight Pacquiao appeared to have won by as many as four points.

Arum recently was asked if this rematch coming later rather than sooner was a good thing. Both fighters have had two fights since that first go-round.

“Because of the controversy in the first fight, if we had done an immediate rematch I think most of the time being spent by the media would have been on ‘Was the first fight fixed?’ therefore getting a second fight, and now you don’t hear any of that because obviously the fighters went on to do their thing against other opponents.  Now we have a great fight and there is no adverse commentary as to any kind of manipulation in the first fight.”

 Pacquiao, 35, is 55-5-2 with 38 knockouts. Bradley, 30, is 31-0 with 12 knockouts.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Promoter Bob Arum not sure what to think when it comes to Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.’s weight

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. of Mexico on March 1 will fight a rematch with Bryan Vera at the Alamodome in San Antonio (on HBO). The fight is slated to take place at the 168-pound super middleweight limit.

Therein lies the intrigue. For their first fight, Chavez informed his promoter – Bob Arum – the week of that Sept. 28 bout at StubHub Center that he would not be able to make 168 pounds. The new weight was contracted for 173 pounds, two under the light heavyweight limit.

We asked Arum on Wednesday if he has heard any news out of Chavez’s camp regarding his weight and how he’s doing with it. Arum came with an interesting response.

“It’s like dealing with North Korea,” Arum said. “You don’t know what to believe.”

Chavez (47-1-1, 32 KOs) won an unpopular unanimous decision over Vera (23-7, 14 KOs) the first time. Vera is from Austin, Texas.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Bob Arum recalls ‘Thrilla in Manila’ ahead of Pacquiao-Rios fight Saturday

Longtime promoter Bob Arum on Saturday will promote the welterweight fight between Manny Pacquiao and Brandon Rios in Macao, China (on HBO pay-per-view). During a conference call, he remembered vividly his favorite international promotion, and it was no surprise.

“The one that sticks out and is most comparable because it takes place in the same time zone is the ‘Thrilla in Manila’ when Muhammad Ali faced off against Joe Frazier,” Arum said. “That fight took place in the same time that the Pacquiao-Rios fight will take place – around noon Manila time. It was one of the greatest fights I have ever seen in my life.”

Ali won when Frazier did not answer the bell for the 15th round of the fight that took place Oct. 1, 1975.

“These guys went at it and (trainer) Eddie Futch wouldn’t let Joe Frazier come out for the 15th round and Muhammad won the fight,” Arum said.

Arum also remember the immediate aftermath.

“What I remember most was going outside the (Araneta) Coliseum after the fight was over – we had just seen this unbelievable fight and the sun was the brightest that I have ever seen and it was almost as if everyone was blinded by the daylight, and it was one of the most memorable experiences I ever had in my life.”



Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Chavez-Vera fight Saturday at StubHub Center will be contested at 173 pounds

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and Bryan Vera were originally supposed to fight at a catch-weight of 163 pounds Saturday at StubHub Center. Then it was moved to 165, then to 168 and now to 173 as Chavez has had difficulty holding up his end of the weight bargain.

Bob Arum, who promotes former middleweight champion Chavez, on Tuesday told reporters he would sit down with Vera’s promoter, Artie Pelullo, to discuss a new weight above 168. At Wednesday’s final news conference, Arum said we would all have to “Wait for the weight,” at Friday’s weigh-in.

However, late Wednesday night, Ronnie Shields – Vera’s trainer – told that a new agreement for 173 pounds was reached, and that Vera would be financially compensated for basically putting up with what has turned out to be a ridiculous scenario, even by boxing’s standards. The bout – which will be televised by HBO – also has been reduced from 12 rounds to 10.

Chavez (46-1-1, 32 KOs), still just 27, had trouble making the middleweight limit of 160, and now he can’t even make 168.

According to Shields, the 31-year-old Vera (23-6, 14 KOs), of Austin, Texas, weighed 167 on Wednesday, one under the limit at which he thought he was going to fight Chavez.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Tickets for Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.-Brian Vera at StubHub on sale Thursday

Tickets for the Sept. 28 super middleweight fight between Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and Brian Vera at StubHub Center in Carson (on HBO) go on sale Thursday at 10 a.m.

The bout was originally scheduled for Sept. 7 at Staples Center, but Chavez sustained a cut over his right eye during sparring, so promoter Bob Arum was forced to come up with a new date and site.

Tickets are priced at $20,  $50, $100 and $200. They can be purchased online at or by calling 888-929-7849.

Chavez is 46-1-1 with 32 knockouts. Vera is 23-6 with 14 knockouts.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Bob Arum doles out high praise for flabby, Mexicali heavyweight Andy Ruiz Jr.

When ultra-flabby heavyweight Andy Ruiz Jr. of Mexicali first started fighting on some noteworthy cards, his opponents must have been licking their chops as soon as he came into the ring. This guy makes Chris Arreola look svelte.

They don’t any longer, of course, because by now Ruiz has shown that his many rolls of fat notwithstanding, he can flat-out fight. At about 6-foot-1 1/2, he weighs about 245 to 250 pounds. That’s after starting his pro career at nearly 300.

Don’t look now, but he’s ranked as high as 12th in one of the major governing bodies.

Promoter Bob Arum talked about Ruiz last week at Freddie Roach’s gym in Hollywood.

“Like, his opponent comes into the ring and his opponent says, ‘Fat boy, I’m going to knock your (butt) out,’ ” Arum said. “But this kid, he takes an unbelievable punch and has the fastest hands of any heavyweight since (Muhammad) Ali. Unbelievable. That’s what everybody says.”

Ruiz is 19-0 with 13 knockouts and has won his past five fights by knockout. He will take on Joe Hanks (21-0, 14 KOs) on July 27 at Venetian Casino & Resort in Macao, China (on UniMas).




Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Bob Arum: Floyd Mayweather will be too much for Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez

Bob Arum was Floyd Mayweather’s promoter for the first several years of Mayweather’s professional career, so he knows a thing or two about the fighter formerly nicknamed “Pretty Boy,” but who now uses “Money” as his moniker.

Arum on Thursday was asked to chime in on the upcoming Sept. 14 showdown between Mayweather and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez of Mexico. They will tangle in a junior middleweight title fight at MGM Grand in Las Vegas (on Showtime pay-per-view).

“I think Floyd is way too experienced for him,” Arum said during lunch at Off Vine in Hollywood. “And I wouldn’t be that surprised if late in the fight Mayweather knocks him out. That’s how I see it.”

The fight is being co-promoted by Mayweather Promotions and Oscar De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions. Arum has an ongoing feud with Golden Boy, but Arum said he will order the pay-per-view feed, which will cost $64.95.

“Sure, Yom Kippur is over (the evening of Sept. 14),” said Arum, who is Jewish. “We do a breakfast at our house for over 100 people, so we’re going to buy the fight and it comes to less than a dollar a person.”

Arum and his guests laughed.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail