Keith ‘One Time’ Thurman has plenty for which to be thankful in 20th year

Keith Thurman

Keith Thurman/Photo courtesy of Premier Boxing Champions

 

Keith “One Time” Thurman has been a prize-fighter for some 8 1/2 years, but this is his 20th year in the game after taking up the sweet science at age 7 as part of an after-school program.

Thurman has plenty for which to be thankful, and he spoke about that this week as he continued preparation for his welterweight title defense against Shawn Porter on June 25 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn (on CBS).

“It’s been an amazing journey and no one predicted this better than my first coach Ben Getty,” Thurman, 27, said. “It puts me in a state of gratitude for Ben. He told everyone I’d be world champ, and here I am, defending my title against Shawn Porter. I am just starting to see what Ben Getty saw in me and the mark that I can make in boxing.”

Thurman, who is now trained by Dan Birmingham and assistant Chris Getty – Ben Getty’s son – is 26-0 with 22 knockouts. He won the interim title in July 2013 with a 10th-round knockout of Diego Gabriel Chaves in July 2013 and became full champion with a wide unanimous decision over Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero in March 2015; Thurman has made one successful defense.

The fight with Guerrero was only the fourth time Thurman had been taken the distance. He takes pride in his knockout ratio of 81 percent.

“My goal is to be known as the hardest-hitting welterweight in the division,” said Thurman, of Clearwater, Fla. “This camp, if anything, I feel more comfortable. I’m fully recovered, sparring, training. I’ve been throwing power punches for what seems like forever and it’s a little weird. I can’t help but think about how this is my 20th year in boxing and knowing the longevity I’ve had. It’s given me a new confidence.”

Thurman and Porter (26-1-1, 16 KOs) were to fight in March, but Thurman sustained whiplash in a February car crash and the fight was postponed.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Robert ‘The Ghost’ Guerrero, Yoshihiro Kamegai make weight for Saturday’s fight

Image

View GuerreroKamegaiWeighIn_Hoganphotos.jpg in slide show

Photo by Gene Blevins – Hoganphotos/Golden Boy Promotions

Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero (pictured left) and Yoshihiro Kamegai on Friday both made weight for their welterweight showdown Saturday at StubHub Center

Weighing in at the DoubleTree Hotel in Carson, Guerrero weighed in at 146 pounds, a pound under the 147-pound limit. Kamegai came in at 146.8 pounds.

The semi-main event fighters also made weight. Gary Russell Jr. and Vasyl Lomachenko both weighed 125.4 pounds for their featherweight world-tltle fight; the limit is 126.

Showtime will televise both bouts on the Golden Boy Promotions card.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Yoshihiro Kamegai vows to leave indelible mark in fight with Robert Guerrero

Image

View GuerreroKamegaiWorkout_Hoganphotos3.jpg in slide show

Yoshihiro Kamegai of Japan will take on Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero on Saturday at StubHub Center

Photo by Gene Blevins – Hogan Photos/Golden Boy Promotions

It’s safe to say not many boxing fans in United States know a lot about Japan’s Yoshihiro Kamegai, who will be the underdog when he takes on Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero in the welterweight main event Saturday at StubHub Center. He promises to leave a lasting impression, however.

“This is a very important fight and a tremendous opportunity for me,” Kamegai said. “Not a lot of people know me now, but they will after the fight.”

Guerrero, of Gilroy, is 31-2-1 with 18 knockouts. Kamegai is 24-1-1 with 21 knockouts. He has previously fought three times in the U.S.

 

 

 

 

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Robert ‘The Ghost’ Guerrero anxious to see what he learned from loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Image

View GuerreroKamegaiWorkout_Hoganphotos2.jpg in slide show

Photo by Gene Blevins – Hogan Photos/Golden Boy Promotions

Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero will fight for the first time in 13 months Saturday when he takes on Yoshihiro Kamegai (24-1-1, 21 KOs) of Japan in the welterweight main event at StubHub Center (on Showtime).

Guerrero (31-2-1, 18 KOs), of Gilroy, has been inactive this long in part because he had contractual hassles with his promoter, Oscar De La Hoya of Golden Boy Promotions. The sides didn’t want to touch much on that during a conference call Tuesday – obviously, things are settled enough to where Guerrero is going to fight – but Guerrero did talk about many other things. Included was his one-sided decision loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. on May 4, 2013 in Las Vegas.

“To bounce back, it wasn’t tough at all,” said Guerrero, when asked about the psychological aspect of getting over his first loss in 7 1/2 years. “You’ve gotta learn from experiences like that. I lost to be the best fighter in the world. You want to get better, you want to get stronger, you want to get faster. It really lit a fire under me to become a better fighter. I can’t wait to get out there and fight.”

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail