Tyson Fury defeats Wladimir Klitschko and is new heavyweight champion

Wladimir Klitschko, left, and Tyson Fury pose during the promotion for Saturday’s fight/Photo by Martin Meissner, Associated Press


Wladimir Klitschko’s long reign as heavyweight world champion ended Saturday when he lost a unanimous decision to Tyson Fury in Dusseldorf, Germany.

Klitschko (64-4) simply could not get his punches going and was a mere shadow of the fighter who had not lost since April 2004 when he lost via 5th-round TKO to Lamon Brewster.

Fury (25-0) won by scores of 115-112, 115.112 and 116-111. Fury lost a point in the 11th round for rabbit punches.

Klitschko is 39, Fury 27.

Fury won three championship belts.

The fight was televised by HBO.


Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez says he has no fear of heavy-handed Gennady Golovkin


Saul “Canelo” Alvarez lands a left to the jaw of Miguel Cotto on Saturday night at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas/Photo by John Locher, Associated Press


It was Saturday night at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. Saul “Canelo” Alvarez of Mexico had just defeated Miguel Cotto of Puerto Rico to win a piece of the middleweight championship.

Since Gennady Golovkin holds two of the other three major belts – there are, laughingly, four – the obvious question to Alvarez afterward was, would he like to tangle with Golovkin? Golovkin is a vicious puncher with a 91-percent knockout ratio.

Alvarez replied, pulling no punches.

“A lot of people, before this fight happened, were asking me about Golovkin and I didn’t want to answer because I had respect for the person I was going  to fight tonight,” he said at the post-fight news conference. “But now they can ask me. And I know Golovkin very well. He’s a friend of mine and like I’ve said before and I’ll say it again, I have respect for him, but I’m not afraid of anybody. I’ll fight anybody, any time. I’m not afraid of anybody. And if you guys don’t believe me, I’ll get back in the ring, put the gloves on and go another 12 rounds.”


Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Miguel Cotto, Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez weigh in before about 7,000 fans

Graphic courtesy of Roc Nation Sports


Approximately 7,000 fans took in Friday’s weigh-in for Saturday’s middleweight fight between Miguel Cotto of Puerto Rico and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez of Mexico at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas (on HBO pay-per-view).

The middleweight limit is 160 pounds, but there is a catch-weight limit of 155. Cotto weighed 153 1/2 pounds, Alvarez 155.

Only Alvarez (45-1-1, 32 KOs) can walk out of the ring with the middleweight title belt because the WBC stripped Cotto (40-4, 33 KOs) of it earlier this week when he refused to pay the sanctioning fee.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

WBC strips Miguel Cotto of middleweight belt; fight still on

Boxer Miguel Cotto greets the crowd at the start of a news conference, Tuesday, Feb. 28, 2012, in New York. Cotto and Floyd Mayweather are scheduled to fight May 5 in Las Vegas.

Miguel Cotto/Photo courtesy of Associ


The World Boxing Council on Tuesday stripped Miguel Cotto of his middleweight title for what the WBC said was his refusal to comply with its rules and regulations. Cotto was set to defend his belt against Saul “Canelo” Alvarez on Saturday at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas (on HBO pay-per-view). The fight is still on at this time, but Cotto won’t be able to walk away from it as champion, even if he wins, based on the WBC’s action.

Here is part of a statement released by the WBC and its president, Mauricio Sulaiman:

“After several weeks of communications , countless attempts and good faith time extensions  trying to preserve the fight as a WBC World Championship, Miguel Cotto and his promotion did not agree to comply with the WBC Rules & Regulations, while Saúl Alvarez has agreed to do so.  Accordingly, the WBC must rule on the matter prior to the fight.

“The WBC hereby announces that effective immediately  has withdrawn recognition of Miguel Cotto as WBC World Middleweight Champion.  If  Saul “Canelo” Alvarez wins the fight against  Cotto, he will be recognized as  the WBC middleweight world champion .

“The WBC’s decision is premised on the fact that Miguel Cotto and his camp are not willing to abide by the governing WBC Rules & Regulations, and the specific conditions the WBC established to sanction the fight.  Simply put: they are not willing to respect the very same rules and conditions which applied to  Cotto becoming WBC champion. The WBC wishes Miguel Cotto the best of luck as we truly regret the course of action which led to them taking such decision.”

The WBC did not spell out exactly where Cotto failed to live up to his obligations. But several outlets are reporting that Cotto refused to play the $300,000 sanctioning fee for Saturday’s bout.


Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Miguel Cotto-Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez set for Nov. 21 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas

Saul ‘Canel’ Alvarez/Photo courtesy of Golden Boy Promotions


Miguel Cotto of Puerto Rico will defend his middleweight world title against Saul “Canelo” Alvarez of Mexico on Nov. 21 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas (on HBO pay-per-view). It took some time for an accord to be reached, but the fight was finally announced Thursday by Golden Boy Promotions and Roc Nation Sports.

Cotto, 34, is 40-4 with 33 knockouts. He’ll be looking to make the second successful defense of his title.

Alvarez, a former junior middleweight champion, is 45-1-1 with 32 knockouts.

Cotto is coming off a fourth-round technical knockout of Daniel Geale in June in Brooklyn. Alvarez most recently knocked out James Kirkland in the third round in May in Houston.

“I will give the fans the fight they want to see,” Cotto said. “As I have always said, during my whole career, I am here to fight the best names and the best fighters. This will be another chapter in my career and I will be ready for him. Fans will enjoy a real fight, another classic battle in the Puerto Rico vs. Mexico rivalry.”
Alvarez was equally stoked that a fight fans want is a done deal.
“Historically, mega-fights are made because fans demand them,” Alvarez said. “In this case, the fans have spoken out, longing for this fight and it is my pleasure to say that it is finally happening. All fights at this level are very important, but this fight in particular has something more. It will hold a special place in history as part of the big rivalry between Mexico and Puerto Rico, and I promise all the fans that this is going to be an event that will not disappoint.”
Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Sergey Kovalev knocks out Nadjib Mohammedi in the third round

Sergey Kovalev, left, and Nadjim Mohammedi do the obligatory staredown following Friday’s weigh-in/Photo courtesy of David Spagnolo, Main Events


Sergey “Krusher” Kovalev once again lived up to his moniker when he retained his three light heavyweight titles by knocking out Nadjib Mohammedi in the third round Saturday at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas.

Kovalev decked Mohammedi (37-4), of France, in the second and third rounds. Mohammedi rose after the final knockdown, but referee Kenny Bayless waved off the bout at 2:38.

Kovalev, of Russia, is now 28-0-1 with 25 knockouts. He has made six title defenses.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

PHOTOS: Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao media workouts


Photos by Gene Blevins/LA Daily News

Floyd Mayweather Jr., in Las Vegas, and Manny Pacquiao, in Hollywood, worked out in front of the media Wednesday ahead of their mega clash on May 2.

Mayweather’s workout included a guest appearance from David Hasselhoff.

Pacquiao’s workout also drew a big crowd in Hollywood, where Bob Arum had some interesting things to say.

Below is a sample of our photos from the workout, but click the links to get the check out all of the photos (all 140 of them).




May Crowd




Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Manny Pacquiao hopeful Floyd Mayweather Jr. tries to knock him out

Manny Pacquiao/Photo courtesy of Top Rank Inc.


Manny Pacquiao on Wednesday played host to a media workout at the Wild Card gym in Hollywood, where he is trained by Freddie Roach. A couple of hundred reporters and photographers were on hand, and that’s not including the 50 or so who were turned away because there wasn’t enough room for them.

During a question-and-answer period, Pacquiao was asked if it would be to his advantage if Floyd Mayweather Jr. opens up and tries to knock him out when they tangle May 2 in a welterweight title-unification fight at MGM Grand in Las Vegas (on HBO and Showtime pay-per-view). Pacquiao responded with a slight smile on his face.

“Well, if he does that, that’s good for me,” Pacquiao said. “I mean, I like that. That’s what I want and that’s definitely what the fans want, you know, action.”


Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Oscar De La Hoya can’t wait for Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez-James Kirkland fight

Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez/Photo courtesy of Golden Boy Promotions


Oscar De La Hoya on Monday spoke in excited tones during a telephone conversation with this newspaper. If we had been face-timing, chances are we would have been able to see that the smile never came off De La Hoya’s face. He’s that jazzed about the May 9 junior middleweight fight between Saul “Canelo” Alvarez of Mexico and James Kirkland at Minute Maid Park in Houston (on HBO).

De La Hoya was stoked to report that, so far, at least 30,000 tickets have been sold.

“It’s incredible, it’s unbelievable,” said De La Hoya, who is promoting the fight under his Golden Boy Promotions banner. “I mean, look, ‘Canelo’-mania is stronger than ever.”

De La Hoya said he has no doubt the fight will sell out. The seating capacity at Minute Maid is 40,950.

There’s more that has De La Hoya chomping at the bit for this fight. It’s what might happen in the fight itself. Alvarez, just 24, has only one loss and that was to Floyd Mayweather Jr. With a record of 44-1-1 with 31 knockouts, Alvarez has a knockout ratio of 67.3 percent. Kirkland, of Austin, Texas, at 32-1 with 28 knockouts has a knockout ratio of 84.5 percent. Plus, Kirkland is a southpaw.

This could be vicious.

“I think given the fact that Kirkland is such an aggressive, in-your-face type of fighter, the fact that he’s just really, really motivated about fighting ‘Canelo’, I mean, it’s a dangerous fight,” De La Hoya said. “When you have a knockout artist up in the ring, it only takes one punch. So ‘Canelo’, given the fact that he’s a fighter with a lot of pride, he’s a fighter who wants to give the fight fans a good show – especially in Houston, practically in his hometown – it’s going to be one of those fights.”

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail