Timothy Bradley, Jessie Vargas make weight for Saturday’s fight

Timothy Bradley/Photo courtesy of Top Rank Inc.

 

Timothy Bradley and Jessie Vargas both weighed in at 146.4 pounds Friday for their vacant interim welterweight title showdown that will take place Saturday at StubHub Center in Carson.

HBO will televise the Top Rank Inc. card.

Bradley, 31, is 31-1-1 with 12 knockouts. He is a former junior welterweight and welterweight champion.

Vargas, 26, is 26-0 with nine knockouts. He is a former junior welterweight champion moving up in weight.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Associated Press: TV part of Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr. deal a go

Floyd Mayweather Jr. is shown here at a Clippers game in 2013/Staff photo by Michael Owen Baker, Los Angeles Daily News

 

By Tim Dahlberg, Associated Press

HBO and Showtime have agreed on how they would broadcast a fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao, promoter Bob Arum said Thursday, leaving only two remaining issues to be settled before the much anticipated May 2 fight can be signed.

Arum told The Associated Press that the rival networks have come to terms on an announcing team and other details for the pay-per-view blockbuster, and that talks this week have narrowed the remaining differences between the Mayweather and Pacquiao camps.

“We had four issues and we resolved two,” said Arum, who promotes Pacquiao. “Now we’re working on resolving the other two. Unless something else comes up at the last minute, that’s what my take is.”

Arum declined to say what those two issues are, saying he didn’t want to sabotage the negotiations just as they are reaching a critical juncture. And it was not clear whether the Mayweather side views the negotiations the same as Arum, or even if Mayweather will agree to the fight.

Mayweather’s adviser is Al Haymon, who reportedly has been doing the negotiating on his fighter’s behalf. But Haymon doesn’t talk to the media, and Mayweather communicates almost exclusively through social media.

Mayweather’s latest postings showed him enjoying a trip on a private jet to the Caribbean and getting a fish pedicure. He did post on social media last week that a media report the fight was a done deal was a “lie.”

Arum said the major financial points of the fight have been agreed to, including a reported 60-40 split in the purse in Mayweather’s favor. Based on the fight doing a record $200 million or more in revenue, Mayweather’s payday could be at least $120 million.

“There’s a lot of devil in the details and that’s what we’re sorting through now,” Arum said. “The remaining issues are obviously important to the participants, and are things we have to work out.”

Mayweather’s representatives have dictated most of the terms of the fight, and Arum said Mayweather will be the one to announce it if it is made.

Mayweather fights under contract to Showtime and Pacquiao to HBO, and there was speculation the two networks could hold up the fight by not coming to terms themselves. But talks between top executives have been ongoing for weeks, and HBO issued a statement Monday saying it was not an “impediment” to the fight.

“We stand ready to go,” the statement said. “The principals need to agree to terms and come to a deal.”

An HBO spokesman declined comment Thursday, and Showtime executives were not immediately made available for comment.

While Mayweather has been vacationing, Pacquiao was heading home Thursday to the Philippines after a trip to the U.S. and England. While in Miami for the pageant, Pacquiao attended a Miami Heat basketball game the same night Mayweather was there and the two fighters exchanged numbers and discussed the fight.

They later met for an hour, and Arum said the meeting convinced him that Mayweather wanted to make the fight.

Before heading home, Pacquiao also met in Washington with Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid and on Thursday attended the National Prayer Breakfast, where President Barack Obama spoke.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Junior lightweight contender Diego Magdaleno re-signs with Top Rank Inc.

Diego Magdaleno

Diego Magdaleno/Photo courtesy of Top Rank Inc.

 

Diego Magdaleno, ranked as high as No. 3 in the world as a junior lightweight, has re-signed with promoter Top Rank Inc., it was announced Thursday morning by Top Rank.

Magdaleno, 28, is a 5-foot-6 southpaw out of Las Vegas via Los Angeles. He’s 27-1 with 11 knockouts.

“Top Rank is where I want to be,” Magdaleno said. “This is a big day for me and my family.”

Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

“It’s great to have Diego re-sign because 2015 is going to be a great year for Diego in both the junior lightweight and lightweight divisions,” said Carl Moretti, vice-president of operations at Top Rank. “We plan to announce his next bout shortly.”

Magdaleno most recently stopped Hevinson Herrera in the third round in November in Pharr, Texas.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Nonito Donaire takes on Nicholas Walters underneath Golovkin-Rubio

Image

Nonito Donaire/Photo courtesy of Top Rank Inc.

 

With all the hoopla being created by middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin defending his title against Marco Antonio Rubio on Saturday at StubHub Center in Carson (on HBO), let’s not forget that the main undercard fight shouldn’t be too shabby, either.

In it, Nonito Donaire (33-2, 21 KOs) of San Leandro via the Philippines will defend his featherweight belt against Nicholas Walters (24-0, 20 KOs) of Jamaica. This could be a good one.

“I am very excited for this fight,” Donaire said.

He’d better be as Walters is no slouch. And he’s hungry to make an even bigger name for himself.

“This is my dream fight,” said Walters, who also owns a piece of the title. “It’s now the time to show everyone who is the best 126-pound world champion in the entire world.”

 

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Terence Crawford, Yuriorkis Gamboa make weight for Saturday’s title fight

Image

Terence Crawford

Terence Crawford/photo courtesy of Top Rank Inc.

Terence Crawford and Yuriorkis Gamboa both made weight Friday for their lightweight title fight Saturday night in Crawford’s native Omaha, Neb. Crawford weighed in at 134.8 pounds, just under the 135-pound limit. Gamboa came in at 134.4 pounds.

Crawford (23-0, 16 KOs) will be making the first defense of his title. Gamboa, of Cuba, has the identical record of 23-0 with 16 knockouts. The two will square off at CenturyLink Center and their fight will be televised on HBO.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Tickets now on sale for Juan Manuel Marquez-Mike Alvarado at Fabulous Forum

Tickets for the May 17 welterweight title-elimination fight between Juan Manuel Marquez of Mexico and Mike Alvarado of Denver go on sale Tuesday (April 1) at noon.

They are priced at $35, $75, $150, $250 and $400 and can be purchased at the Forum box office, or through Ticketmaster by calling 800-745-3000 or online at www.ticketmaster.com or www.fabulousforum.com.

Anyone purchasing a ticket for $75 or $150 between Noon and 4 p.m. Tuesday (April 1) will receive a complimentary companion ticket with a limit of six purchased tickets per order.

Marquez-Alvarado will be televised by HBO.

Marquez (55-7-1, 40 KOs) made his bones at the Forum in the 1990s on his way to becoming one of Mexico’s legendary fighters. Alvarado is 34-2 with 23 knockouts.

The winner of this fight is expected to get a shot at the winner of the April 12 welterweight title fight between Timothy Bradley and Manny Pacquiao at MGM Grand in Las Vegas (on HBO pay-per-view).

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Juan Manuel Marquez, Mike Alvarado slated for May 17 at Forum in Inglewood

Top Rank Inc. vice president Carl Moretti on Thursday said that an agreement has been reached for former world champions Juan Manuel Marquez of Mexico and Mike Alvarado of Denver to square off in the welterweight main event May 17 at the Forum in Inglewood.

“The paperwork was agreed to last night and this morning and is being sent out as we speak,” Moretti said of the fight, which will be contested at a catch-weight of 143 pounds.

The winner is expected to face the winner of the April 12 welterweight title fight between champion Timothy Bradley and Manny Pacquiao at MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Moreover, Moretti said Top Rank plans to hold more big cards at the Forum, where Dr. Jerry Buss successfully promoted boxing in the 1990s.

Moretti said it’s difficult at times finding an open date at Staples Center, what with the Lakers, Clippers and the NHL’s Kings housed there.

“It’s a great option to have,” Moretti said. “With the history of the Forum, it’s a natural.”

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Miguel Cotto, Sergio Martinez in Los Angeles to formally announce June title fight

Miguel Cotto of Puerto Rico and Sergio Martinez of Argentina on Wednesday will play host to a Los Angeles-area news conference to formally announce their middleweight title fight slated for June 7 at Madison Square Garden in New York City (on HBO pay-per-view).

Cotto (38-4, 31 KOs), who is 33, has won titles in the junior welterweight, welterweight and junior middleweight divisions. If he takes Martinez’s middleweight belt, Cotto becomes the first Puerto Rican to win titles in four weight classes.

Martinez, 39, is 51.2-2 with 28 knockouts.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Tickets remain for Diego Magdaleno-Jorge Pazos on Saturday in Hawaiian Gardens

Tickets are still available for Saturday night’s card featuring super featherweight prospect Diego Magdaleno of Las Vegas and Jorge Pazos of Mexico in the 10-round main event at C. Robert Lee Activities Center in Hawaiian Gardens (on UniMas).

Tickets for the Top Rank Inc. event are priced at $50, $75 and $100 and can be purchased by calling (562) 652-4424 or (323) 866-9943.

Magdaleno, 27, is 24-1 with nine knockouts. Pazos, 24, is 14-6-1 with eight knockouts.

 

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Report: Former lightweight champion Juan Diaz signs deal with Top Rank Inc.

Former lightweight world champion Juan “Baby Bull” Diaz of Houston has signed an 18-month promotional deal with Top Rank Inc., ESPN.com reported Thursday.

Diaz, 30, held three of the four major belts until he lost a split-decision to Nate Campbell in March 2008; it was Diaz’s first loss.

Diaz went 2-3 over his next five fights – losing twice to Juan Manuel Marquez and once to Paulie Malignaggi – before announcing his retirement after the second loss to Marquez in July 2010.

Diaz (37-4, 19 KOs) has fought twice since returning to the ring in April of this year. He is scheduled to take on Juan Santiago (14-10-1, 8 KOs) of Denver on Oct. 19 on the undercard of the Mike Alvarado-Ruslan Provodnikov junior welterweight interim title fight at 1stBank Center in Broomfield, Colo. (on HBO).

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail