Yoshihiro Kamegai-Jesus Soto Karass added to ‘Chocolatito’ card at Forum

Yoshihiro Kamegai/Photo courtesy of BoxRec.com

 

A junior middleweight bout between Jesus Soto Karass (28-10-4, 18 KOs) of Mexico and Yoshihiro Kamegai (26-3-2, 23 KOs) of Japan has been added to the Roman ‘Chocolatito’ Gonzalez-Carlos Cuadras card Sept. 10 at the Fabulous Forum in Inglewood (on HBO).

Soto Karass-Kamegai will be a rematch of their fight in April that ended in a draw at Belasco Theater in Los Angeles.

Kamegai engaged Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero in a vicious 12-round fight in June 2014 at StubHub Center, Guerrero winning a unanimous decision while taking a lot of punishment along the way.

Gonzalez (45-0, 38 KOs), of Nicaragua, has won titles in three weight classes – mimimumweight, light flyweight and flyweight. He will be moving up in weight to challenge Mexico’s Cuadras (35-0-1, 27 KOs) for his super flyweight belt.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Roman ‘Chocolatito’ Gonzalez will move up to challenge Carlos Cuadras for his super flyweight title at Fabulous Forum

Roman Gonzalez

Roman “Chocolatito” Gonzalez, right, delivers a punch on McWilliams Arroyo in their fight in April at the Fabulous Forum/USA Today photo by Jayne Kamin-Oncea

 

Roman “Chocolatito” Gonzalez of Nicaragua on Sept. 10 will move up in weight to challenge Carlos Cuadras of Mexico for his super flyweight title at the Fabulous Forum in Inglewood (on HBO).

Gonzalez (45-0, 38 KOs) is considered by some to be the top pound-for-pound fighter in the world. He has won world titles at minimumweight, light flyweight and flyweight.

“I’ve very happy to challenge Carlos Cuadras for a world title in my fourth weight class,” said Gonzalez, 29. “It’s an honor to return to fight at the Forum in front of the great Los Angeles fight fans.”

Cuadras will be looking to make the 10th successful defense of the belt he won in September 2012. He’ll have his hands full, and he seems to know that.

“Roman Gonzalez is a great champion and I have a lot of respect for him,” Cuadras said. “I will prepare myself to be in the best condition of my boxing career to defend my WBC belt.”

 

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Gennady Golovkin figures to take heat for fighting welterweight Kell Brook

Gennady Golovkin

Gennady Golovkin/Photo courtesy of K2 Promotions

 

Considering Saul “Canelo” Alvarez took so much heat for defending his middleweight title against a welterweight – Amir Khan – in May, it was surprising to hear Friday morning that middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin will now do the same.

Golovkin will defend his three belts against Kell Brook, who holds one of the welterweight titles, on Sept. 10 at O2 Arena in Brook’s native England (on HBO).

Golvokin is trained by West Covina native Abel Sanchez. He was asked via telephone why Golovkin will be fighting a welterweight.

“Well, if you recall, the first welterweight in our time that did that was Ray Leonard and he beat the middleweight (Marvin Hagler), so he (Brook) is willing to do what others are not,” Sanchez said. “He’s undefeated, he’s been doing great lately, he’s having a hard time getting fights, also; people don’t want to face him. So it will be the best welterweight in the world against the best middleweight in the world.”

Some consider Keith “One Time” Thurman the best welterweight champion among the four, but OK.

Anyway, it was believed that middleweight contender Chris Eubank Jr. would be Golovkin’s next opponent. Eubank had been doing a lot of talking about how he wanted Golovkin. But the deal did not come to fruition. According to Sanchez, Eubank did what many others have done in the past when it comes to a possible fight with the heavy-hitting Golovkin (35-0, 32 KOs).

“We go back to all these guys who say they want to fight Golovkin, but when it comes down to it, for some reason it’s not as important to them when it comes down to signing the contract,” Sanchez said.

Sanchez believes that at the end of the day, the Eubank team didn’t really want to tangle with Golovkin. Keep in mind Eubank and Brook are both promoted by Eddie Hearn.

“For Chris, I think that the father, or the Eubank team, just made it so impossible for Eddie that it was a way of saying, ‘We don’t want the fight,’ ” Sanchez said. “Maybe that fight will be in the future. But Kell was offered the same world-class deal that Eubank was being offered, identical, so now Kell Brook takes it and Eubank doesn’t. I dont get that. It was good enough for Kell, but not good enough for Chris.”

Eubank’s father is former middleweight/super middleweight champion Chris Eubank.

Golovkin, commenting in a statement, seems to like this fight.

“I’m very excited to be fighting in front of the great British boxing fans and promise another ‘Big Drama Show’ against undefeated Kell Brook,” he said. “I give him much respect for taking this fight.”

That’s the key here, is that Brook (36-0, 25 KOs) took the fight.

“We have a great deal of respect for Kell Brook for stepping up and facing Gennady when so many have been reluctant to do so,” said Tom Loeffler, of K2 Promotions, which promotes Golovkin. “We’ve tried to come to the UK before for fights with Carl Froch, Billy Jo Saunders and Chris Eubank Jr., but Kell Brook is the first to accept the challenge.”

Brook put a good spin on a fight that is likely to face scrutiny similar to that Alvarez experienced for taking on the smaller Khan, who was viciously knocked out in the sixth round.

“When this fight got offered to me, I accepted within minutes and I can’t wait,” Brook said. “Everyone knows I’m a huge welterweight and I know I will carry my speed and accuracy and even more power through the weights. … You have seen some huge names run from (Golovkin), but I’m running to him.”

 

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Abel Sanchez believes in handshake with Bob Arum over Oscar De La Hoya

Gennady Golovkin

Gennady Golovkin/Photo courtesy of K2 Promotions

 

Remember when it was announced recently that Golden Boy Promotions and K2 Promotions agreed that Gennady Golovkin and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez will fight each other in September 2017? It was a handshake accord. Golovkin’s trainer, Abel Sanchez, does.

Sanchez also remembers a handshake deal being struck for Golovkin to fight super middleweight champion Gilberto “Zurdo” Ramirez the first half of next year. That deal was made with K2 – which promotes Golovkin – and Bob Arum, who promotes Ramirez under his Top Rank Inc. banner,

Guess which one Sanchez believes will come to fruition? Based on Alvarez giving up his WBC middleweight belt rather than fight Golovkin this year, that’s an easy answer.

“Let me tell you this: Supposedly, there was a handshake agreement between Bob Arum and (K2’s) Tom (Loeffler) for a Ramirez fight, and a handshake agreement – supposedly, according to Oscar (De La Hoya of Golden Boy) – for the ‘Canelo’ fight for September of 2017,” Sanchez said by phone Tuesday. “I would venture to say that I’d be more likely to believe there’s a handshake agreement with Bob Arum than there is for the ‘Canelo’ fight.

“So I would venture to say ‘Zurdo’ is a possibility for next year.”

One can’t blame Sanchez for not being a believer in the handshake agreement for Golovkin-Alvarez. It was Alvarez who called out Golovkin after Alvarez knocked out Amir Khan in May at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Alvarez said he would fight Golovkin, who was there, right then and that he would do it at 160 pounds. Previously, Alvarez and Golden Boy – which promotes Alvarez – had said a fight with Golovkin would have to be at a catch-weight of 155 pounds.

Then Alvarez gave up his belt rather than adhere to a deadline set by the WBC for the ordered fight with Golovkin. Then came the news that there would be no Golovkin-Alvarez fight for well over another year.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

So-called verbal agreement for ‘Canelo’-Golovkin means very little at this time

Gennady Golovkin

Gennady Golovkin/Photo courtesy of K2 Promotions

 

OK, so promoters Oscar De La Hoya and Tom Loeffler apparently met at De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions offices in Los Angeles on Wednesday to talk about a fight between middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin and former middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, according to several publications.

It’s no secret that the boxing world was hopeful that fight would happen this September. But Alvarez recently vacated his WBC title rather than sign to fight Golovkin under the duress of a deadline set forth by the WBC.

Well, the only thing that apparently came out of Wednesday’s meeting was that the sides verbally agreed to make the fight – in September 2017. That means virtually nothing because there is no contract. And this is boxing, where so much can happen in 15 months.

Before everyone who so badly wants to see this fight goes off the deep end in celebration, chill out. Golovkin is likely still going to be a monster in 15 months, and we’re not sure De La Hoya will ever want Alvarez to tangle with him.

Golovkin, of course, would have happily fought Alvarez this September. It’s De La Hoya, Alvarez’s promoter, who seems reluctant to put his man into a fight with the beastly Golovkin at this point in time. We’re going to hear how De La Hoya wants this fight to marinate and how this extra time will allow Alvarez to mature into a full-fledged 160-pound middleweight, instead of one that toils at a catch-weight of 155.

If this fight happens at some point, terrific. But as a story on Yahoo.com points out, Loeffler – Golovkin’s promoter – said nothing has been signed. So there is really nothing to celebrate.

The feeling here is, we’ll believe it when we see it.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Gennady Golovkin stops David Lemieux in eighth at Madison Square Garden

Gennady Golokin/Photo courtesy of K2 Promotions

 

Gennady Golovkin on Saturday added David Lemieux’s world-title belt to his collection by dominating and stopping Lemieux in the eighth round of their middleweight title-unification bout before over 20,000 at Madison Square Garden in New York City. The fight was stopped at the 1:32 mark by referee Steve Willis. Golovkin decked Lemieux in the fifth round.

Golovkin (34-0, 31 KOs) now has 21 consecutive knockouts. Lemieux (34-3, 31 KOs) has now been stopped twice inside the distance.

 

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Gennady Golovkin, David Lemieux to square off in unification bout in NYC

Gennady Golovkin/Photo courtesy of K2 Promotions

 

Several outlets are reporting that an agreement has been reached for middleweight champions Gennady Golovkin and David Lemieux to square off in a title-unification bout Oct. 17 at Madison Square Garden (on HBO pay-per-view).

Golovkin, 33, is from Los Angeles via Kazakhstan. He is 33-0 with 30 knockouts, 14-0 with 14 knockouts in world-title fights. He also won an interim title fight with Milton Nunez by first-round knockout.

Lemieux, 26, is from Montreal, Quebec, Canada. He is 34-2 with 31 knockouts. He won a vacant title via 12-round decision over Hassan N’Dam N’Jikam in June in Montreal.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Middleweight champ Gennady Golovkin to defend title May 16 at Fabulous Forum

Gennady Golovkin

Gennady Golovkin, left, defended his middleweight title with an 11th-round TKO of Martin Murray on Feb. 21 in Monte Carlo, Monaco/Photo by Action Images

 

Middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin of Kazakhstan will make his next title defense May 16 at the Forum in Inglewood against Willie Monroe Jr. of Ithaca, N.Y. (on HBO).

Golovkin most recently stopped Martin Murray in the 11th round in Monte Carlo, Monaco. Golovkin (32-0, 29 KOs) has a string of 19 knockouts.

Golovkin, 32, is trained by West Covina native Abel Sanchez in Big Bear.

Monroe is a light hitter. He is 19-1 with just six knockouts. He is coming off a wide unanimous decision victory over Brian Vera in January.

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Gennady Golovkin-Marco Antonio Rubio does very well on HBO

Image

Gennady Golovkin, right, stopped Marco Antonio Rubio in the second round Saturday/Photo by Associated Press

 

The Gennady Golovkin-Marco Antonio Rubio middleweight main event Saturday at StubHub Center drew an HBO viewing crowd of 1,304,000 viewers, making it the second-highest premium cable boxing event of 2014.

Golovkin, of Kazakhstan, stopped Mexico’s Rubio in the second round and is now 31-0 with 28 knockouts. It was his 18th knockout in succession.

Golovkin’s middleweight belt was not on the line because Rubio failed to make the 160-pound weight limit a day earlier, coming in at 161.8.

The event also drew 9,323 in live attendance, a sellout and  a record for boxing at the venue.

“This past Saturday night’s atmosphere at the StubHub Center truly captured the passion that Gennady’s fans have for him,” said Tom Loeffler, managing director of K2 Promotions, which promotes Golovkin. “In two years, Gennady has become boxing’s biggest must-see attraction and we expect 2015 to catapult him to even greater heights.”

Golovkin first fought in the U.S. in September 2012.

The Golovkin-Rubio fight will be replayed tonight (Tuesday) on HBO at 10:05 p.m. (Pacific time).

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail

Marco Antonio Rubio doesn’t make weight, can’t fight for Golovkin’s belt

Image

 

Gennady Golovkin/Photo courtesy of Associated Press

 

Marco Antonio Rubio on Friday weighed in at 161.8 pounds for his fight Saturday against middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin at StubHub Center (on HBO). According to a publicist working the event, Rubio signed a new contract for 162 pounds just before the weigh-in because he knew he wasn’t going to make the 160-pound limit.

This means Rubio will not be able to challenge for Golovkin’s belt. It also means Rubio was stripped of an interim belt he held.

Golovkin weighed in at 159 pounds.

 

Twitter Facebook Pinterest Reddit Tumblr Email Snailmail