Man wounded in shooting near Covina

COVINA >> A man suffered a gunshot wound to his abdomen when an argument escalated into a shooting in a residential neighborhood near Covina early Sunday, authorities said.
Few details were initially available as detectives continued investigating the scene of the shooting, which was reported about 3:40 a.m. in the 16600 block of Kingside Drive, in an unincorporated county area just west of Covina, Sgt. Louis Serrano of the sheriff’s San Dimas Station said.
The wounded man was taken to a hospital, where he was listed stable condition, Serrano said.
Several people were being detained in connection with the shooting, however no formal arrests had been made, the sergeant said. “The situation is evolving right now.”
Further details regarding the circumstances of the shooting were not available.
A news videographer at the scene said a silver Nissan Altima was at the home with a shattered rear window.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Covina man killed in 10 Freeway crash

SAN DIMAS >> A Covina man died late Saturday in a crash on the 10 Freeway in San Dimas, authorities said.
Wilfredo Matos Jr. was killed in the 10 p.m. crash on the westbound 10 Freeway, just east of Via Verde, Los Angeles County Department of Coroner Lt. Fred Corral said.
He was driving a 1997 Nissan in the No. 3 lane, passing a 2005 Ford in the right-hand lane, just prior to the collision, California Highway Patrol officials said in a written statement.
Witnesses indicated the Nissan, “executed an unsafe lane change,” the statement said. The right, rear portion of Matos’ Nissan struck the front, left portion of the Ford.
Officials said the Nissan then skidded out of control, ultimately slamming into a tree along the right side of the freeway.
Paramedics pronounced Matos dead at the scene, Corral said.
The 17-year-old Covina boy driving the Ford and his passenger, a 27-year-old Covina man, were unhurt, according to the CHP.
The crash was being investigated by the Baldwin Park office of the CHP.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Five drivers arrested for DUI at Glendora checkpoint

GLENDORA >> Police arrested five DUI suspects during a checkpoint late Friday and early Saturday, including one with a blood-alcohol level three times greater than the legal limit, officials said.
The checkpoint was held from 6 p.m. Friday to 2 a.m. Saturday on Grand Avenue, Glendora police Senior Community Service Officer Wendy Brewer said. Brewer also coordinates a regional, multi-agency anti-DUI task force known as “Avoid the 100.”
In addition to the five suspected intoxicated drivers, police also arrested seven people for driving without licenses or identification, and one person was jailed due to an outstanding warrant, Glendora police Sgt. Marty Barrett said.
Officers cited 27 unlicensed drivers and 20 drivers with suspended licenses, Barrett said. Twenty-four vehicles were impounded as a result of the checkpoint.
Officers from the Pomona, La Verne and Azusa police departments joined Glendora police at the checkpoint, Brewer said.
Funding for the checkpoint was provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Elderly Altadena man OK after crashing car into backyard swimming pool

ALTADENA >> An 85-year-old Altadena man escaped serious injury or worse Saturday after accidentally driving his car into a backyard swimming pool, authorities said.
The man was pulling into his garage just before noon in the 2700 block of Scripps Place when the crash occurred, Los Angeles County Fire Department Capt. Jeff Sims said.
The driver told rescuers his footwear was to blame, as his flip-flops had become tangled with the pedals, causing him to lose control of the car, the captain said.
The car went through a rear garage door and into a backyard swimming pool, ending up fully submerged Sims said.
“The gentleman that was in the vehicle was able to get himself out of there,” he said.
Paramedics examined him and found no significant injuries, and the driver declined to be taken to a hospital, Sims said.
Sims said the driver was fortunate to have avoided more serious injury, and that he was able to safely get out of the submerged car.
“It could have been worse,” he said.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Officials: Deputy badly beaten by suspect at Lakewood mall

LAKEWOOD >> A sheriff’s deputy was suffered major injuries Friday when he was badly beaten in an unexpected attack at the Lakewood Center shopping mall, authorities said.
Frankie Estrada, 21, was ultimately arrested on suspicion of attempted murder of a peace officer following the incident, which unfolded about 8 p.m. at the mall, 500 Lakewood Center Mall, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Joe Reveles said.
Deputies went to the mall to investigate a report of a domestic disturbance between a man and woman, officials said. One deputy located the woman, while the second deputy sought out the man.
“While escorting the man out of the location towards the other deputy, the man unexpectedly turned on the deputy and hit him several times, knocking the deputy to the ground, and continued his assault with a shod foot,” Reveles said in a written statement.
“A bystander in the mall witnessing the assault intervened by pushing the suspect away from the deputy. Assisting deputies arrived, and took the suspect into custody without further incident,” Reveles said.
The deputy was hospitalized in critical-but-stable condition, Reveles said.
Estrada was being held in lieu of $1 million bail, according to county booking records. He was scheduled to appear in Bellflower Superior Court Tuesday for an arraignment hearing.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

UPDATED: Arcadia family jumps from roof to escape home-invasion robbers

0817_NWS_PSN-L-HOMEINVASION

ARCADIA >> A family of three escaped from a home-invasion robbery late Friday by jumping from the roof of their Arcadia home, officials said.
A man and wife estimated to be in their 50s and their son, estimated to be in his 20s, were inside a home in the 600 block of West Lemon Avenue when three robbers broke into the home through an unlocked rear window shortly before 11 p.m., according to Arcadia police Lt. Mike Castro.
The victims saw two of the robbers, but only heard the third, he said. One of the robbers brandished a dark-colored handgun.
“The suspects took the victims to an upstairs bedroom where they were forced to lie face down on the floor,” Castro said. “One of the suspects held the victims at gunpoint while the other two ransacked the house.”
But the gunman became distracted while talking to his accomplices, and the family saw their opportunity to escape, Castro said.
“When the suspect was not watching, the victims got up, raced to the window, pushed out the screen and jumped onto the roof. The victims then jumped from the roof to the front yard where they were screaming for help.”
Neighbors called 9-1-1 after hearing the screams, Castro said. Police searched the area but did not find the robbers, who were believed to have fled out of the back of the home, Castro said.
Two of the victims were hurt jumping from the roof, Castro said. The husband suffered an injury to his leg and possibly a broken bone, while his wife suffered apparently minor injuries, the lieutenant said.
The son suffered injuries described as bumps and bruises.
The two robbers who were seen by the victims were described only as two black men, one wearing a red hooded sweatshirt and the other wearing a black hooded sweatshirt.
Because the home was ransacked and the homeowners were hospitalized, it was not clear what the robbers stole during the break-in, Castro said.
No one appeared to be home at the house Saturday afternoon.
There was no apparent reason the robbers targeted the family, Castro said.
A sign on the front lawn indicated the home is protected by a burglar alarm.
A married couple that lives nearby, who asked that their names not be published for fear of retaliation, said they were watching TV when the robbery occurred and heard nothing out of the ordinary until they noticed police outside.
“We locked the doors and set the alarm,” the wife said.
The couple said they only knew the residents of the home from brief greetings in the neighborhood.
“It’s terrible,” the wife said. After two decades of relative tranquility in the area, the woman said it seemed crime has been creeping closer and closer over the past two to three years.
“We’re thinking about installing metal bars on our windows,” the husband said.
Jose Antonio Parra, a 35-year-old father of three, died after he was shot during a Dec. 12. 2011, home-invasion robbery about two miles away, in the in the 11000 block of Kristi Court. A robber or robbers confronted Parra and his family when they arrived home and robbed them of their rent money, investigators said. The robber then forced Parra’s girlfriend and three children into a bedroom before fatally shooting Parra.
Most recently in the San Gabriel Valley, a West Covina woman and her elderly mother became the victims of a home-invasion robbery July 6 in the 3000 block of Larkwood Street, according to West Covina police officials. The daughter was struck in the head during the crime and suffered a minor injury. The two robbers fled with cash, jewelry, electronics and a safe.
Anyone with information on Friday’s robbery in Arcadia was asked to contact Arcadia police at 626-574-5150. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

UPDATED: Three wounded in shooting following festivities at Robinson Park in Pasadena

PASADENA >> Three men were wounded in a shooting that took place following the conclusion of summer festivities at Robinson Park in Pasadena late Friday, authorities said.
The shooting took place just before 11:10 p.m. in a parking lot at the northwest corner of Robinson Park, at Fair Oaks Avenue and Hammond Street, Pasadena police Lt. Ed Calatayud said.
It occurred following the city’s final “Parks After Dark” event, which have been taking place regularly through the summer.
Police officers heard the sound of gunfire coming from the area and rushed to the scene, he said. Police received a 9-1-1 call about the same time reporting “shots fired.”
“There’s a group of somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 people running from the scene,” the lieutenant said. “Officers came across three victims.”
One of the men was shot in the torso, shoulder and leg, Calatayud said. After undergoing surgery at a hospital, he was listed in serious-but-stable condition.
Another victim was wounded in the buttocks, and the third was shot in the hand, police said. Neither wound was believed to be life-threatening.
No further details regarding the circumstances of the shooting were available Saturday, nor was any information regarding a suspect description or motive, Lt. John Luna said.
Police did not receive reports of any fights preceding the shooting, he added.
Police continued working an “active crime scene” beyond 2 a.m. Saturday.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Small fire reported at Fox Studios in Los Angeles

LOS ANGELES >> Firefighters made quick work of a small fire that broke out late Friday at Fox Studios in Los Angeles, authorities said.
The fire was first reported about 7 p.m. at the studio, 10201 W. Pico Boulevard, Los Angeles Fire Department spokeswoman Katherine Main said.
“It was a small fire in a wooden storage locker in a sound studio,” Main said. “It was held in check by fire sprinklers.”
Firefighters declared the fire extinguished after 17 minutes, she said. No injuries were reported.
Firefighters remained at the scene clearing water from the building, Main said. Because the affected area has a concrete floor, the damage was believed to be “minimal.”
The cause was not available Friday evening.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

La Mirada doctor faces up to 157 years in prison after drug dealing conviction

LOS ANGELES >> A doctor from La Mirada has been convicted of federal drug trafficking charges for the improper and illegal distribution of powerful painkillers, officials announced Friday.
A federal jury in Los Angeles convicted Dr. Andrew Sun, 78, of 14 counts of distributing controlled substances and three counts of money laundering for concealing the proceeds of his crimes, U.S. Department of Justice spokesman Thom Mrozek said in a written statement. The conviction came after three days of trial.
Sun, who ran clinics in San Gabriel and East Los Angeles, faces up to 157 years in prison when he returns to court for sentencing Nov. 10, officials said.
His medical license was already probationary after he was targeted in a similar investigation in 2004. His license was suspended in late 2013.
Sun was ordered to appear at an Aug. 25 hearing in which the court will determine whether Sun must forfeit almost $350,000 in drug proceeds, officials said.
Sun turned himself in to authorities in April after being indicted by a indicted by a grand jury.
He was convicted of prescribing powerful drugs such as hydrocodone, also known as Vicodin, alprazolam, also known as Xanax, carisprodol, also known as Soma, and promethezine with codeine, which is used to make the street drug known as “purple drank” or “sizzurp.”
Through an undercover sting operation, investigators determined Sun “profited by prescribing addictive painkillers and other controlled substances to persons whom he believed were drug addicts, and thus that the defendant acted without lawful medical purpose,” according to court documents.
The doctor issues more than 24,000 for controlled substances, netting $1 million in cash between 2009 and 2012, according to the DOJ.
When undercover agents visited Sun seeking drugs, “Sun failed to conduct any physical examination and he sold prescriptions for $150 in cash — even when he believed he was writing the prescriptions for drug addicts,” Mrozek said.
The investigation was carried out by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, the IRS, the California Department of Health Care Services and the Monterey Park Police Department.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Chain-reaction crash on 60 Freeway in South El Monte leaves 5-year-old girl dead, 13 others injured

 

AR-140819760

SOUTH EL MONTE >> A young child was fatally injured early Thursday and 13 other people were hurt in a fiery, 11-vehicle crash on the eastbound 60 Freeway at Santa Anita Avenue, authorities said.
Maydelin Salas, 5, of South El Monte died at a hospital shortly after the wreck, Los Angeles County Department of Coroner Assistant Chief of Operations Ed Winter said.
She was riding as the left, rear passenger in a 2004 Nissan minivan that was struck from behind by a tanker truck hauling milk, setting off a chain-reaction.
“Due to the severity of her injuries, we were unable to save her,” Beverly Hospital Emergency Care Center Assistant Medical Director Dr. Raul Lopez said in a written statement.

…FULL STORY

PHOTO by Keith Durflinger

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email