The San Marino Historical Society found a video of the infamous 1984 “Father’s Night” production that featured a guy they knew then as Christopher Chichester singing and dancing. Here’s an exclusive sneak peak of the video that you won’t see anywhere else.
Turns out Chichester’s real identity was Christian Karl Gerhartsreiter, a German national who would later become Clark Rockefeller. Earlier this year Gerhartsreiter was convicted in the 1985 slaying of San Marino resident John Sohus and remains linked to the disappearance of Sohus’ wife Linda. He was recently sentenced to a life term in state prison. You can read about the case in my book “Name Dropper” or check out our extensive archive of stories on the Pasadena Star-News website.
Here’s the video:
PASADENA — A homeless man suffered a slash wound to his neck late Saturday after an argument with another homeless man escalated into a stabbing, authorities said.
The attack took place about 7:55 p.m. at the corner of Fair Oaks Avenue and Del Mar Boulevard, Pasadena police Lt. Vasken Gourdikian said.
A 45-year-old local transient became involved in an argument over sleeping arrangements with another homeless man whom he did not recognize, the lieutenant said.
“They became involved in a verbal altercation, at which time the suspect cut or stabbed the victim in his neck,” Gourdikian said. The wound was “very superficial,” he said, adding that the victim had been released from the hospital after receiving stitches.
The attacker ran toward the Metro Gold Line station at Del Mar Boulevard and Raymond Avenue, Gourdikian said. Police searched the area, but did not find the assailant. Deputies patrolling the Gold Line were also notified in case the attacker boarded a train.
Police described the stabber as a black man between 35 and 40 years old, between 5 feet 8 inches and 5 feet 11 inches tall, of stocky build, with a dark complexion and a bald head. He wore light plaid shorts and a gray T-shirt.
Anyone with information was asked to contact Pasadena police at 626-744-4241.
WEST COVINA — A man was clinging to life at a hospital following a car crash Sunday after a teenage good Samaritan sprung into action and performed CPR on the man until paramedics arrived to take over, officials said.
The crash took place just before 11 a.m. at the southwest corner of Valinda and Cameron avenues, West Covina police Lt. Dennis Patton said.
An SUV with a 42-year-old man at the wheel struck a light pole, “with the driver reportedly in full cardiac arrest,” the lieutenant said.
But a quick-thinking 18-year-old man saw what had happened and rushed to help.
“A good Samaritan rendered aid to the driver, who was the solo occupant,” Patton said.
The young man began CPR. “He continued that until the paramedics arrived on scene.”
According to West Covina Fire Department Capt. Esteban Rodriguez, “The first arriving West Covina units noticed a bystander giving CPR to a driver who was involved in a single-vehicle accident,” Rodriguez said.
“Our firefighter-paramedics took over the medical assessment of the patient,” the captain said
Paramedics rushed the man to Citrus Valley Medical Center – Queen of the Valley Campus in West Covina, Patton said.
He was alive Sunday afternoon, however his condition was unclear, the lieutenant said.
The situation may have been worse without the intervention of the young good Samaritan.
“The bystander performed CPR to an extent where it did benefit the patient up until fire department arrival,” Rodriguez said.
The cause and circumstances of the crash remained under investigation, Patton said.
But the relatively minor damage at the crash scene didn’t seem consistent with a major injury crash, he said, leading investigators to suspect the driver may have suffered a medical problem.
The cities of residence of both the driver and the good Samaritan were unavailable.
BALDWIN PARK — Rescuers rushed a Baldwin Park woman to a trauma center in critical condition Saturday after she was struck by a pickup truck while crossing Maine Avenue, authorities said.
The collision took place about 1 p.m. on Maine Avenue, just north of Ramona Boulevard, Los Angeles County Fire Department Capt. Marco Ortiz said.
The woman suffered “severe head trauma” when struck by the truck, the captain said. She was conscious but required assistance breathing while taken to Los Angeles County-USC for further treatment, Ortiz said.
Police and fire officials estimated the woman was between her 40s and 60s.
The driver of the pickup truck, a man, remained at the scene and cooperated with investigators, Baldwin Park police Sgt. Melissa Stehly said.
Nothing criminal was initially suspected in the collision, she added.
The woman was walking east across Maine Avenue within a crosswalk when struck, Stehly said. The truck was making a left turn onto southbound Maine Avenue from the Park Plaza shopping center.
The incident remained under investigation by the Baldwin Park Police Department’s Major Accident Investigation Team.
UPDATE: No burglary charges were filed against Michael Sanchez prior to his court appearance Monday due to insufficient evidence, according to Los Angeles County booking records. He was held in custody until Wednesday, however, before being released with “time served” in connection with an unrelated case out of Antelope Valley Superior Court, records show.
SANTA FE SPRINGS — Deputies arrested a man they had been seeking in connection with a burglary investigation Thursday with help from a tipster, officials said.
Michael Anthony Sanchez, 22, was arrested on suspicion of two counts of burglary stemming from two break-ins in an unincorporated county area near Whittier, Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials said in a written statement.
Authorities released Sanchez’s photo and asked the public’s help in tracking him down Sept. 17. He was described as a homeless man who had recently been spotted in the Creek Park area of La Mirada, though he was also believed to have ties to Pico Rivera and the Antelope Valley.
Acting on a tip from the public, deputies from the sheriff’s Norwalk Station found and arrested Sanchez about 7:30 a.m. Thursday in Santa Fe Springs, sheriff’s officials said.
According to county booking records, Sanchez was being in held in lieu of $20,000 bail at the Men’s Central Jail in Los Angeles pending a scheduled arraignment Monday in Downey Superior Court.
PICO RIVERA – A brush fire broke out in the riverbed and charred up to an acre Friday night.
The fire was reported at 5:23 p.m. in the riverbed near Fairway and Bradgate Drives.
Robert Diaz, a supervising dispatcher with the Los Angeles County Fire Department, said no one was injured in the fire which was knocked down at 6:33 p.m.
The fire burned three fourths to an acre of brush, he said,
Diaz said what started the fire hasn’t been determined.
– Ruby Gonzales
GLENDORA — A Glendora woman was taken to a hospital after she was hit by car at an intersection Thursday night.
The collision was reported to Glendora police shortly after 7 p.m.
Sgt. Michael Randazzo said the woman was walking eastbound in the intersection. A car westbound on Leadora Avenue was making a left turn to Glendora Avenue and struck her, he added.
The driver remained at the scene.
Randazzo said the pedestrian was transported to a hospital with a possible broken leg or dislocated knee. Police didn’t know her current medical condition on Friday.
– Ruby Gonzales
SIERRA MADRE – A burglar broke into a home Friday, ransacked the place and fled with a small handgun.
Sierra Madre Police said the burglary in the 700 block of Auburn Avenue happened sometime between 7 p.m. and 10 p.m.
Sgt. Enrique Gonzalez said the residents left the home at 7 p.m. When they returned three hours later, they noticed a suspicious sedan parked on the street.
Gonzalez said the residents hadn’t seen that car in the area before. They called police.
When officers arrived within a minute or a minute and half, he said the car was gone.
Residents also discovered their house had been ransacked and the gun missing, according to Gonzalez.
– Ruby Gonzales
MONTEBELLO – Police sounded the all clear Friday after investigating a telephoned bomb threat at the Shops at Montebello, authorities said.
The incident began just after 11 a.m., when Montebello police received a call on the station’s non-emergency line and made a bomb threat against the Shops at Montebello, Montebello police Lt. Mike Flores said.
The caller stated that there were “four explosives set to go off at 5 p.m.,” the lieutenant said.
With help from Monterey Park police and Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies, Montebello police searched the mall, which remained open.
“We searched the entire premises. We were unable to locate any suspicious packages,” Flores said.
Officials deemed the mall safe about 1:45 p.m.
It was not clear if the threat was related to three similar ones made to Temple City schools over the past three days, Flores added. But the possibility was under investigation.
AZUSA – A 22-year-old man was slashed in the forehead during an argument with another man Thursday, officials said.
The incident happened about 7:30 p.m. in the 5700 block of Galanto Avenue which is in the unincorporated county area near Azusa.
During the argument, Sheriff’s Sgt. Dave Buckner said the suspect slashed the 22-year-old with a blade or a knife.
Deputies checked the area but didn’t find the suspect.
The victim was treated and taken to a hospital. Buckner said the man is in good condition.
The suspect was described as Latino, 25 to 30, with black hair, 6 feet tall and about 200 pounds. He wore a gray sweater and blue jeans.
– Ruby Gonzales