ANGELES NATIONAL FOREST >> Firefighters made quick work of a 5-acre brush fire that ignited Saturday on a rifle range at the Burro Canyon Shooting Park along East Fork Road in the Angeles National Forest, officials said.
The fire, dubbed the Burro fire, was first reported just before 11 a.m. on a rifle range at the shooting range, along East Fork Road just east of San Gabriel Canyon Road, U.S. Forest Service Fire Information Officer Nathan Judy said.
The fire grew to 4 to 5 acres in size by early afternoon, but was already 20 to 40 percent contained, according to U.S. Forest Service and Los Angeles County Fire Department officials. County firefighters assisted their federal counterparts.
Officials announced the fire had been 100 percent contained shortly after 3 p.m.
Eight fire engines, as well as firefighting aircraft, were summoned to battle the blaze, which burned through light to medium brush on moderately steep terrain, he said.
California Highway Patrol officers shut down San Gabriel Canyon Road leading into the forest as Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies headed into the forest to prepare for any possible evacuations, should they become necessary, sheriff’s Lt. Elisabeth Sachs said.
Officials ended up evacuating the shooting range itself, but other nearby recreation areas, such as Crystal Lake, remained open.
All affected forest roads were reopened once the fire was extinguished.
U.S. Forest Service officials raised the Fire Danger Level in the Angeles National Forest from “High” to “Very High” on Monday ahead of this weekend’s predicted heat wave.
The cause of the fire remained under investigation. Judy pointed out that steel-core bullets are prohibited on the shooting range due to the risk of sparks igniting a wildfire.
Judy said the Burro Fire burned up against the already-charred areas scorched by last year’s 1,700-acre Cabin Fire.
PHOTOS courtesy of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
AZUSA >> Authorities found a missing Azusa woman hours after police and concerned family members asked the community to be on the lookout for her Thursday, officials said.
Brittany Silva was last seen about 9 a.m. as she drove away from her family’s Azusa home, Azusa police Sgt. John Madaloni said. She hasn’t been seen or heard from since.
But she was found safe Friday afternoon, police announced.
AZUSA >> Police jailed an Azusa woman Friday on suspicion of stealing packages after a police officer recognized her from security camera footage that captured one of the thefts earlier in the day, authorities said.
Blanca Alvarado, 40, was booked on suspicion of petty theft and possession of stolen property, Azusa police Sgt. John Madaloni said.
The investigation began when police were summoned to a home in the 300 block of South Pasadena Avenue after two packages were stolen from a front porch, Officer Mike Bires said.
“Once the officer began her investigation, she learned there was a surveillance video recording of the suspect committing the theft,” Bires said. The officer completed her investigation at the home and resumed her normal patrol.
A few hours later, the officer spotted Alvarado walking about a block to the north, at McKinley Street and Pasadena Avenue, police said.
“The officer who had taken the original theft report passed by Alvarado and saw she was the same suspect depicted in the video stealing the packages,” Bires said. “The officer stopped and detained Alvarado, who was in possession of more packages.”
Police soon determined all of the packages had been stolen, he said.
Alvarado was cited for the alleged misdemeanors and released from custody with a court date, Bires said.
Bires said police recommend residents make use of security cameras, as they can be extremely useful during law enforcement investigations should residents become crime victims.
Police in Alhambra arrested another alleged package thief two weeks ago after she was confronted by the camera-toting homeowner, who posted video of the confrontation online. The video went viral, helping lead to the suspect’s capture one day after the video was published.
AZUSA >> An man accused of stabbing his father repeatedly stabbing his father in the head during an argument at their Azusa home earlier this week denied criminal charged Thursday, authorities said.
Marlon Enrique Juares, 36, pleaded not guilty to charges of attempted murder and making criminal threats during an arraignment in the West Covina branch of Los Angeles County Superior Court, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Sarah Ardalani said in a written statement. Prosecutors also alleged the special circumstances that Juares personally used a knife in the crime, and that he inflicted great bodily injury. The stabbing took place about 6:20 p.m. Tuesday at the family home in the 300 block of South Scott Avenue, Azusa police Sgt. Andy Sutcliffe said at the time.
After the son and his 60-year-old father got into an argument, “The confrontation escalated and the defendant allegedly grabbed a knife and stabbed his father in the head,” Ardalani said. “A family member was able to successfully intervene and stop the attack.”
Police arrived to find the father suffering from several wounds to his head and shoulder, Sutcliffe said. Jaures was still clutching a knife, but dropped it when confronted by officers.
If convicted as charged, Juares could face life in state prison, officials said.
According to county booking records, he’s being held in lieu of $1 million bail. He is scheduled to return to court for a hearing on June 15.
SAN GABRIEL VALLEY >> San Gabriel Valley sheriff’s deputies and police officers arrested four suspects and recovered weapons and drugs Tuesday when they teamed up for a compliance sweep targeting parolees and those under AB 109 felony probation in the San Gabriel Valley, officials said.
More than 40 law enforcement officers from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, as well as the West Covina, Covina, Baldwin Park took part in the early-morning operation, joined by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents, state parole agents, county probation officers and representatives from the County of Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services, according to sheriff’s Lt. Pete Cacheiro, who oversees law enforcement for the city of La Puente.
After visiting more than 30 homes of convicts, officials arrested a parolee for being a felon in possession of a loaded handgun in La Puente, Cacheiro said.
Officials arrested three AB 109 probationers in West Covina, he said. One was arrested for possession of a Taser by a felon, one was jailed for possession of ammunition by a felon and one is accused of possession of methamphetamine for sales.
The task force operation, “exemplified out community policing strategies,” Cacheiro said.
La Puente City Manager David Carmany commended the effort in a written statement. “
“Our local law enforcement strives to maintain our communities safe and provide quality services to our residents,” he said.
Law enforcement officers from agencies throughout the San Gabriel Valley prepare for parole and probation compliance sweep at their command post at the Plaza West Covina shopping mall on Tuesday, May 24, 2016. (Courtesy, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department)
AZUSA >> Police are asking the public to keep an eye out for a 38-year-old Azusa woman with medical issues who was discovered missing from her group home early Friday.
Teresa Fuller went missing from a group home at 926 E. Citrus Edge Street sometime between 10 p.m. Thursday and 2:35 a.m. Friday, Azusa police Sgt. Terry Smith said in a written statement.
She’s known to frequent the 99 Cents Only Store on Citrus Avenue just south of Alosta Avenue, as well as McDonald’s Restaurant on Alosta Avenue, just east of Citrus Avenue, he said.
“Teresa does not have any debit or credit cards, money or a cell phone, but she may have a bus pass,” Smith said.
Fuller requires medication, which she did not take with her, police said.
She’s described as white, 5 feet 3 inches tall, 190 pounds, with dark hair and dark eyes. She was last seen wearing blue pants, a white long-sleeve polo shirt and black sandals.
Anyone who sees Fuller is asked to call 911.
AZUSA >> Police are seeking the owner of a baby goat found wandering the streets of Azusa Thursday evening.
A business owner found the apparently 1.8-pound kid, which police were calling, “Billie,” wandering in the area of Foothill Boulevard and Coney Avenue and brought it to the police station shortly before 7 p.m., officials said.
The baby barnyard animal was happy to keep police dispatchers company as police searched for the owner.
One dispatcher happened to be married to a veterinarian, who planned to take charge of the wayward juvenile in the meantime.
The owner of the goat can reach Azusa police at 626-812-3200.
AZUSA >> Police arrested a Glendora man after he shot and wounded another man within earshot of police officers in Azusa early Sunday, officials said.
Jonathan Louis Rojo, 20, was booked on suspicion of attempted murder in connection with the 4:46 a.m. shooting, according to Azusa police officials and Los Angeles County booking records.
Azusa officers were handling an unrelated disturbance call when they heard gunshots ring out from just east of them, in the 100 block of West 10th Street, Azusa police Sgt. John Madaloni said in a written statement. Officers rushed to the scene, where they spotted a possible suspect running from the area.
Azusa and Glendora police set up a search perimeter to look for the gunman.
Meanwhile, “officers also located an adult, male victim two blocks north of the scene, suffering from multiple gunshot wounds to one arm and his pelvic region,” Madaloni said. Paramedics took the wounded man to a hospital with injuries not believed to be life-threatening.
Officer found the suspect, later identified as Rojo, hiding on a residential property just south of the shooting scene about 6:30 a.m., according to police and booking records.
“Rojo was arrested without incident and a loaded handgun was found nearby,” the sergeant said.
The motive and circumstances of the shooting remained under investigation, Madaloni said.
Police declined to release the victim’s age or city of residence.
Rojo was being held in lieu of $1.1 million bail pending his initial court appearance, scheduled Tuesday in the West Covina branch of Los Angeles County Superior Court, records show.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Azusa police detectives at 626-812-3200. Tips may also be submitted
The Azusa Police Department is seeking the assistance of any persons who may have witnessed, or have information regarding, this shooting. Witnesses are encouraged to contact the Azusa Police Department Detective Bureau at (626)812-3200. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.
EL MONTE >> Police and school officials in El Monte teamed up to return a lost class ring Wednesday to a 1985 Arroyo High School graduate who lost it 29 years ago, authorities said.
Custodian Beto Gonzalez was working at Arroyo High School, 4921 Cedar Ave., when found the ring on campus and turned it over to his wife, El Monte High School Counselor Carol Gonzalez, El Monte police Capt. David Vautrin said in a written statement.
“Carol realized the ring could possibly be reunited with its owner,” he said. She gave it to El Monte High School Resource Officer Joe Garcia. “The ring had some identifying features which enabled Officer Garcia to locate the owner Richard Mason who had attended Arroyo High School,” Vautrin said. “Garcia confirmed Mason attended Arroyo and graduated in 1985. Officer Garcia worked with the staff of the El Monte High School District and was able to locate Mason, who now lives in the city of Azusa with his family.”
Mason told police he last saw the ring in 1987, after giving it to his then-girlfriend, the captain said. After the couple parted ways, he never saw the ring again.
“He was very happy to get his ring back and thanked Officer Garcia and the entire El Monte Police Department for getting his ring back to him,” Vautrin said.
PHOTOS courtesy of the El Monte Police Department.
AZUSA >> Police in Azusa arrested a Nebraska woman earlier this week and recovered her 4-year-old daughter, who she had allegedly abducted from her home state, authorities said.
Monique Marie Ramos, 28, of Lincoln, Nebraska, was arrested about 7 p.m. Thursday when detectives conducting a surveillance operation spotted her walking with the child in the area of San Gabriel Avenue and 2nd Street, according to Azusa police Sgt. John Madaloni and Los Angeles County booking records.
The department was notified by the Lincoln Police Department on March 10 that Ramos has abducted her 4-year-old daughter and was believed to have traveled to Azusa, Azusa police Officer Mike Bires said in a written statement.
“Detectives from the Azusa Police Department immediately began working with the Lincoln PD in an attempt to locate the abducted child,” he said. “Azusa PD detectives were conducting a surveillance related to the investigation when they saw Ramos and the abducted child. They were contacted and detained without incident.”
The child appeared unharmed and well cared for, Bires said.
Police turned the girl over to the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services to be reunited with her legal guardians, the officer said.
Ramos was being held without bail on Nebraska warrants at the Century Regional Detention Facility in Los Angeles, records show. She was scheduled to appear in Los Angeles Superior Court Monday.