Shuttle bus driver stabbed on South Whittier-La Mirada border, suspect jailed


SOUTH WHITTIER >> A man stabbed a female shuttle bus driver in the chest along the border between La Mirada and South Whittier on Thursday afternoon before deputies apprehended him nearby, officials said.
Paul Rivera, 41, of La Mirada was ultimately booked on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Lt. Robin Limon said.
The attack took place about 3:10 p.m. on a Sunshine Shuttle bus, operated by the County of Los Angeles, at Leffingwell Road and La Mirada Boulevard, according to the lieutenant.
There were no other passengers onboard when Rivera got onto the bus at a bus stop along the north side of Leffingwell Road, she said.
He asked to be taken to destination that is not part of the shuttles route.
When the driver told Rivera he needed to take a different bus, he became enraged and pulled a knife, Limon said. He stabbed the woman in the abdomen and shoulder with a large steak knife.
The bus driver, a 51-year-old woman, fought back and pushed her attacker away before he abandoned his assault and ran away.
Paramedics took the wounded bus driver to an area trauma center with injuries not believed to be life-threatening, she said.
Responding deputies spotted Rivera, who matched the description of the attacker, nearby and arrested him without a struggle, Limon said. Deputies recovered the knife believed to have been used in the attack.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Man wounded, suspect sought in Pico Rivera stabbing


PICO RIVERA >> A man suffered stab wounds after a fight between acquaintances escalated into a stabbing in Pico Rivera late Friday, officials said.
The stabbing unfolded about 9:20 p.m. at Durfee Avenue and Tilmont Street, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Lt. Noe Garcia said.
Deputies first learned of the incident when the victim, a 37-year-old man, was driven to Beverly Hospital in Montebello by his girlfriend, the lieutenant said.
Investigators determined the man had been hanging out near Durfee Avenue and Tilmont Street when he became involved in an argument with another man, whom he knew, according to Garcia. Both men were described as gang members.
The argument turned into a fight, he said. “The suspect produced a knife and stabbed the victim twice in the back.”
The attacker fled the scene on foot and remained at large Saturday, Garcia said. A detailed suspect description was not available.
Garcia said the wounded man was hospitalized in stable condition.
Anyone with information can reach the sheriff’s Pico Rivera Station at 562-949-2421. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Police: Ontario man stabbed while trying to break up fight in Pomona


POMONA >> Police are seeking an attacker who stabbed an Ontario man as he tried to break up a fight in a Pomona parking lot early Saturday morning, officials said.
Police responded about 1:50 a.m. to reports of a stabbing at Garey Avenue and 2nd Street, Pomona police Lt. Marcus Perez said in a written statement. Officers encountered an Ontario man in his 40s who had been stabbed in the upper torso.
“The victim was coherent and stated that he received the injuries while trying to break up a fight in the parking lot,” Perez said.
Officials flew the wounded man to a hospital for treatment by helicopter, police said. He was listed in serious but stable condition.
The attacker was described only as male. He was believed to have fled the scene in a gray Chevy Cruze with paper license plates.
Anyone with information can reach Pomona police at 626-620-2085. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Search continues for killer in slaying of Diamond Bar couple

1229_nws_sgt-l-stabfolo

DIAMOND BAR >> Detectives have circulated flyers seeking information on the unsolved “brutal” stabbing deaths of a couple inside their Diamond Bar home earlier this month.
Chen “David” Long Wang, 60, and his wife Mei “Marian” Chu Chung, 57, were discovered fatally stabbed on the morning of Oct. 20 inside their home in the 3300 block of Bent Twig Lane, according to Los Angeles County sheriff’s and coroner’s officials.
“Sometime between Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 7 p,m. and Thursday October 20, 2016 at 9 a.m., avid table tennis player and retired father of two, victim “David” Cheng Long Wang ,was brutally murdered in his Diamond Bar home along with his wife, victim “Marian” Mei Chu Chung,” sheriff’s officials said in a written statement.
Neighbors described Chung as an art teacher who taught classes out of her home.
After more than a week of investigation but no suspect in custody, detectives reached out to the public for assistance in solving the double slaying.
Officials this week have been handing out flyers featuring information about the crime and pictures of the victim in hopes of generating tips, Lt. John Corina of the sheriff’s homicide Bureau said.
“Detectives are seeking the public’s assistance and are asking any witnesses or anyone with information to call the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Homicide Bureau,” sheriff’s officials said in a written statement.
Wang and Chung are survived by two college-age children, officials said.
One of the children called a friend to check on the couple after not hearing from them for a while, Corina said. The friend went to the home and discovered the victims’ bodies.
Corina said there were signs of a struggle inside the home, but there were no indications the couple had been robbed. The motive in the double-fatal stabbing remained a mystery.
The bodies of Wang and Chung were found in different rooms in the house, officials said. The weapon used in the killings has not been recovered.
Anyone with information is urged to contact the sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

ar-161029909

PHOTOS: [ABOVE] Cheng “David” Long Wang, 60, and his wife Mei “Marian” Chu Chung, 57, were found stabbed to death inside their Diamond Bar home on Oct. 20, 2016. (Courtesy, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department) [BELOW] Los Angeles Sheriff’s homicide detectives investigate the deaths of a man and woman who were found fatally stabbed at a Diamond Bar home in 3200 block of Bent Twig Lane on Thursday, Oct. 20, 2016. (Photo by Watchara Phomicinda, San Gabriel Valley Tribune/ SCNG)

 

 

 

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Diamond Bar couple fatally stabbed inside their home identified

ar-161029909

DIAMOND BAR >> Coroner’s officials have identified a married couple found stabbed to death in their Diamond Bar home on Thursday as homicide detectives continued seeking their killer or killers.
Cheng Long Wang, 60, and his wife Mei Chu Chung, 57, died in the double stabbing at the couple’s home in the 3300 block of Bent Twig Lane, Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner Investigator Joyce Kato said. Autopsies were pending.
One of the couple’s children, who is away at college, asked a friend to check on his parents after not hearing from them for a while, Lt. John Corina of the Los Angeles County sheriff’s Homicide Bureau said.
The friend went to the home, discovered the bodies and called 911, officials said.
Wand and Chung were found in separate rooms of the home, and both had been stabbed multiple times, Corina said. There were signs of a struggle inside the home.
There were no obvious signs of robbery, however investigators were still working to determine whether anything was missing from the home.
A motive in the double-homicide was unknown, and the weapon used in the killings has not been found, officials said.
Neighbors said the couple had lived in the neighborhood for more than a decade. Neighbor Zeng Liao said Wang as a retired doctor of Chinese medicine, and Chung was an art teacher.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to call the Sheriff’s Department’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500. Anonymous tipsters can call L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
— Staff writer Ruby Gonzales contributed to this report.

PHOTO by Watchara Phomicinda

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Couple found stabbed to death inside Diamond Bar home

 


DIAMOND BAR >> Detectives are investigating the deaths of a man and woman whose bodies were discovered inside their Diamond Bar home early Thursday as a possible double-homicide, officials said.
The deaths, initially reported by sheriff’s officials as stabbings, were reported just before 9:45 a.m. at a home in the 3300 block of Bent Twig Lane, Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials said in a written statement.
Both the man and woman, described as an Asian couple in their 50s or 60s, were pronounced dead at the scene, Lt. John Corina of the Los Angeles County sheriff’s Homicide Bureau said. Coroner’s officials had yet to identify the man and woman.
One of the couple’s children, who are away at college, became concerned after not hearing from the couple for a while, the lieutenant said.
The child contacted a friend and asked the friend to check on the man and woman, Corina said. It was then that the friend discovered the bodies.
“We’re treating it as (double-) murder right now. It doesn’t look like a murder-suicide,” Corina said. “That’s the way we’re going to treat it until we learn otherwise.”
But he added that the investigation remained in its early stages, and nothing had been ruled out.
Though initially described by officials as a double-stabbing, Corina said he could not confirm how the couple died.
“It certainly doesn’t look like a natural death or deaths,” he said. “We don’t know the why and how of how they were killed.”
There were no signs the home had been ransacked.
“It doesn’t appear to be robbery or burglary,” Corina said.
Detectives continued speaking with neighbors and family members to learn about the couple and determine when they were last been seen alive, he added.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to call the Sheriff’s Department’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500. Anonymous tipsters can call L.A. Regional Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
— Staff writers Ruby Gonzales and Brian Day contributed to this report.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Woman and daughter wounded in West Covina stabbing, suspect surrenders


WEST COVINA >> A man stabbed a woman and her adult daughter in West Covina before turning himself in to authorities in East Los Angeles late Thursday, police said.
Eduardo Marin, 46, of East Los Angeles was arrested following the double stabbing at a home in the 3100 block of South Adrienne Drive, West Covina police Lt. David Lee said.
A woman in her 40s, with whom Marine had previously had a relationship, was hospitalized in critical condition but expected to survive after undergoing surgery, he said. Her daughter, a woman in her 20s, suffered injuries not believed to be life-threatening.
Marin showed up at the victims’ home about 9 p.m. and became involved in argument, according to the lieutenant.
“Some type of argument ensued,” he said. “He stabbed the mother and daughter.”
Marin fled from the crime scene on a motorcycle but soon turned himself in to the deputies at the Los Angeles County sheriff’s East Los Angeles Station, Lee said.
He was expected to be booked on suspicion of attempted murder.
Authorities cordoned off the neighborhood as detectives and crime scene investigators scoured the scene for evidence.
Lee said the knife believed to have been used in the stabbing was recovered at the scene.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Man sentenced for Monterey Park pizza parlor murder


MONTEREY PARK >> A Bakersfield man received a sentence of more than 16 years in state prison Thursday for stabbing another man 15 times, killing, at a Monterey Park pizza parlor four years ago, officials said.
A Los Angeles Superior Court jury in Burbank convicted Jose De Jesus Ruiz, also known as Jose De Jesus Salas, 26, in July of second-degree murder for the Oct. 6, 2012, stabbing death of 25-year-old Patrick Raymond Ortega at Shakey’s, 1955 S. Atlantic Blvd. The jury also found true the special allegation that Ruiz personally used a knife in the crime.
Judge Michael Carter sentenced Ruiz to 16 years to life in state prison, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Sarah Ardalani said.
The stabbing took place shortly after 7 p.m. as Ruiz was gathered at the restaurant with members of a youth football organization.
He became involved in a dispute with Ortega, who witnesses testified was being “disruptive” inside the pizza parlor while dining with friends, according to Deputy District Attorney Theodore Swanson, who prosecuted the case.
Ruiz briefly left the restaurant before returning and stabbing Ortega 15 times, Swanson said.
Ruiz was found hiding in his car several hours later and arrested, officials said. .
Second-degree murder is defined in California as the unlawful killing of another with malice, but without deliberation or premeditation.
If convicted of first-degree murder — a murder deemed deliberate, premeditated and with malice — Ruiz could have faced a maximum sentence of 26 years to life behind bars.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Rowland Heights woman guilty of manslaughter for fatal scissor attack

moreno
ROWLAND HEIGHTS >> A Rowland Heights woman is expected to receive a 12-year prison sentence next month after pleading “no contest” Wednesday to a manslaughter charge for stabbing her brother’s girlfriend to death with a pair of scissors last year, authorities said.
Lisette Kimberly Moreno, 20, pleaded “no contest” to a charge of voluntary manslaughter for the fatal Aug. 16, 2015, stabbing of Annette Martinez, 21, of Rowland Heights, Los Angeles County District attorney’s officials said in a written statement.
In addition the manslaughter charge, Moreno also admitted to the special allegation that she personally used a weapon, scissors, in the killing.
Following the negotiated plea arrangement, Moreno is expected to receive 12 years in state prison when she returns to the Pomona branch of Los Angeles County Superior Court for sentencing on Nov. 29, according to the statement. Moreno was first charged with murder following her arrest.
If convicted of murder at trial, she could have faced a potential maximum sentence of more than 25 years to life in prison.
Moreno became involved in an argument with Martinez about 2 a.m. as they were at the home of Martinez’s boyfriend’s family in the 1900 block of Batson Avenue.
Information regarding what the dispute was over was not available.
Martinez left behind a then-6-month-old daughter and a then-18-monthold son, family members said.

martinez

PHOTO [TOP] – of Lisette Moreno, 21, of Rowland Heights (Courtesy) [BELOW] – Annette Martinez, 21, of Rowland Heights (Courtesy)

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

West Covina man convicted of manslaughter for fatal stabbing of father

ar-150819653

WEST COVINA >> A 21-year-old man pleaded “no contest” to involuntary manslaughter on Wednesday for the fatal stabbing of his father during a fight at their West Covina home last year, authorities said.
At what was scheduled to be a pretrial hearing in the case of Maverick Jacob Jimenez, the defendant accepted a negotiated plea deal in connection with the Aug. 16, 2015, fatal stabbing of his father, 49-year-old Joey Alfred Jimenez, Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office spokeswoman Sarah Ardalani said.
“The defendant also admitted a special allegation that her personally used a deadly and dangerous weapon, a knife, during the commission of the crime,” district attorney’s officials said in a written statement.
He’s expected to receive a six-year prison term when he returns to the Los Angeles County Superior Court’s Pomona branch for sentencing on Jan. 4.
Maverick Jimenez became involved in physical fight with his father about 3:30 a.m. at their home in the 900 block of Las Rosas Drive, according to prosecutors and West Covina police officials.
“During the altercation, the defendant stabbed his father,” the district attorney’s office statement said.
The motive behind the fight was not available.
Paramedics took Joey Jimenez to a hospital where he died from his injuries, officials said.
West Covina police arrested Maverick Jimenez at the scene, West Covina police spokesman Rudy Lopez said at the time.
Maverick Jimenez was initially charged with murder in the case, which could have resulted in a sentence of more than 25 years to life in prison if convicted at trial.

PHOTO of Maverick Jacob Jimenez, courtesy

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email