Man pleads not guilty in fatal Monterey Park stabbing

ALHAMBRA >> A Rosemead man pleaded not guilty to murder Thursday following the fatal stabbing of a Monterey Park man last month, officials said.
Angel Octavion Garcia, 18, is accused of fatally stabbing Alhambra Parks and Recreation Department employee Edward Mendoza, 35, Oct. 14 in a parking lot in the 1700 block of Potrero Grande, near Arroyo Drive, Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials said.
He entered his plea in Alhambra Superior Court, where he was ordered to return Jan. 9 for a preliminary hearing setting, Los Angeles County district attorney’s officials said in a written statement.
“There are no indications the two men knew each other,” according to the statement. A motive for the slaying has not been released.
Mendoza called 9-1-1 to report he had been stabbed, Lt. John Corina of the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau said. Investigators have declined to release further details of the 9-1-1.
Paramedics rushed Mendoza to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center, where he died from his injuries.
“Soon after the incident, a person came forward to police and identified Garcia as the assailant,” according to the district attorney’s office statement.
Mendoza had worked a part-time recreation leader for the Alhambra Parks and Recreation Department since 2001, city officials said. Most recently, he served as a children’s football referee at Almansor Park in Alhambra.
Recently, Ray said Mendoza was refereeing football for the children at Almansor Park, 800 S. Almansor St. in Alhambra.
Sheriff’s investigators arrested Garcia Oct. 18, according to Los Angeles County booking records. He was being held in lieu of $1.025 million bail.
Loved ones have created a memorial video in tribute to Menoza at www.eddiemendoza.org.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

UPDATED: One killed, one arrested in Rosemead crash

ROSEMEAD >> One person died, another suffered major injuries and a man is accused of drunken driving and hit-and-run following a two-vehicle crash on a 10 Freeway offramp in Rosemead late Friday, officials said.
The crash took place about 11:15 p.m. on the Rosemead Boulevard offramp of the eastbound 10 Freeway, according to California Highway Patrol logs.
Two vehicle ended up down an embankment in the crash, CHP logs show.
The driver and passenger of one of the involved vehicles were seriously injured in the crash, CHP Officer Jennifer Cassidy said. The passenger died at a hospital, while the driver was hospitalized with serious injuries.
The driver of the second vehicle abandoned it at the scene and fled on foot, Cassidy said. He was arrested a short time later at his home on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter, drunken driving and hit-and-run, Cassidy said.
The suspect’s identity was not available Saturday, and no further details were released.
The Rosemead Boulevard offramp from the eastbound 10 Freeway remained shut down for nearly three hours following the crash, which is under investigation by officers from the CHP’s East Los Angeles office.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Three jailed in connection with Rosemead shooting

ROSEMEAD >> Three men were behind bars Sunday in connection with a weekend shooting in Rosemead, authorities said.
Oscar Recinos, 24, of Rosemead, Lance Spiteri, 25, of Diamond Bar and Edward Ascencio, 34, of Fontana, were ultimately jailed on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Michael Martinez said.
They’re accused of shooting at passing car driven by a 32-year-old Rosemead man about 2:40 p.m. Saturday at Graves and Eckhart avenues, Sgt. Julie Geary said. Bullets struck the car, however the driver was not injured.
Deputies searched the neighborhood following the gunfire, ultimately finding and arresting Recinos, Spiteri and Ascencio in connection with the shooting, officials said.
Sheriff’s gang detectives were handling the investigation, Martinez said.
The shooting was the second report of gun violence in Rosemead in less than a day.
Eighteen-year-old Jesse Garcia of Rosemead died early Saturday after he was shot at a Halloween party in the 7900 block of Virginia Street, sheriff’s officials said.
Garcia, who posted on social media that he would be working “security” at the party, asked two young men to leave just prior to the shooting, investigators said.
The two men returned with a gun and fatally shot Garcia, authorities said. The killers remained at-large Sunday.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

UPDATED: Car struck by gunfire in Rosemead, driver unhurt

ROSEMEAD >> Bullets pierced a car as it traveled down a Rosemead street Saturday afternoon, however the driver escaped injury, officials said.
The shooting took place about 2:40 p.m. on Graves Avenue at Eckhart Avenue, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Julie Geary said.
Several bullets struck the car, but not the man driving it, she said.
Deputies searched the area and ultimately arrested three suspects in connection with the shooting, Lt. Loy McBride said.
Further details were not available early Sunday.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

UPDATED: Young man fatally shot at Rosemead Halloween party

ROSEMEAD >> An 18-year-old Rosemead man died early Saturday after two men he asked to leave a Halloween party returned with a gun and shot him, authorities said.
Jesse Garcia died at a hospital following the 1 a.m. shooting at a party held in a small residential cul-de-sac in the 7900 block of Virginia Street, Los Angeles County sheriff’s and coroner’s officials said.
Both Garcia and the two suspects were at the party prior to the shooting, sheriff’s officials said in a written statement.
“The victim asked the suspects to leave the party. A short time later, the suspects returned to the party with a firearm and shot at the victim, striking him in the torso,” Sgt. Carmen Arballo of the Sheriff’s Headquarters Bureau said.
Garcia was rushed to a hospital where he died from his injuries.
Although he was a Rosemead resident, the victim did not live at the home where the Halloween party was hosted, sheriff’s officials said.
No getaway car was seen.
“The suspects fled the location on foot in an unknown direction and out of view,” Arballo said.
Detectives initially described the killers as two young men between 17 and 21 years old. Detailed descriptions were not available.
By Saturday afternoon, only a small piece of yellow crime scene tape in the street was the only sign of the fatal shooting. Several neighborhood residents said they did not know what took place early Saturday morning.
Officials asked anyone with information to contact the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500. Tips may also be submitted anonymously to L.A. Regional Crime Stopper at 800-222-8477.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Downey man fatally shot in Rosemead named

ROSEMEAD >> Officials Friday released the name of Downey man who was shot to death while driving through Rosemead with his girlfriend earlier this week.
Jose Radillo Jr., 20, died following Tuesday’s 4:30 p.m. car-to-car shooting at Garvey and Muskatel avenues in Rosemead, according to Los Angeles County sheriff’s and coroner officials.
Radillo was driving east on Garvey Avenue, with his girlfriend riding as a passenger, just before the shots rang out, sheriff’s officials said.
Someone inside a dark-colored, mid-sized car that was also eastbound on Garvey Avenue opened fire, Lt. Holly Francisco of the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau said.
Radillo suffered a gunshot wound to his torso, she said. His girlfriend was not injured.
Radillo’s car ended up crashing and coming to a stop in the 9300 block of Garvey Avenue, just across the city border in South El Monte, officials said. The vehicle containing the killer or killers made a U-turn and fled west on Garvey Avenue.
Paramedics took Radillo to Beverly Hospital in Montebello, where he succumbed to his injuries, coroner Assistant Chief of Operations Ed Winter said.
A motive in the shooting was not released.
Anyone with information was asked to contact the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Elderly Northridge man killed in Rosemead crash

ROSEMEAD >> An elderly Northridge man died and three other people were hurt in a three-vehicle chain reaction crash on the 10 Freeway in Rosemead early Saturday, authorities said.
Jasim Alkuraishi, 76, died following the crash, Los Angeles County Department of Coroner Lt. David Smith said.
Three other people suffered injuries not considered major in the series of crashes, which occurred about 1:05 a.m. on the westbound 10 Freeway, just west of Rosemead Boulevard, Officer G. Aanestad of the California Highway Patrol’s East Los Angeles office said.
A 2013 Honda Element SUV became stalled in the fast lane, the officer said.
Alkuraishi was driving a 2010 Nissan Altima that struck the stalled SUV from behind, Aanestad said.
A 2012 Nissan Altima subsequently collided with Alkuraishi’s car, he said.
“As a result of the collision, (Alkuraishi) succumbed to his injuries on scene,” Aanestad said.
A 25-year-old Pico Rivera man who was driving the Honda Element, as well as 15-year-old Pico Rivera boy who was riding as a passenger, were taken to Garfield Medical Center in Monterey Park for apparently minor injuries, officials said. A 23-year-old Northridge woman who was at the wheel of the 2012 Nissan Altima was taken to Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center with injuries also described by CHP officials as minor.
Officials described the road conditions at the time of the overnight crash as clear, calm and dry.
The cause of the crash remained under investigation.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

Bomb threat at Rosemead Walmart proves unfounded

ROSEMEAD >> Deputies searched a Rosemead Walmart store in response to a telephoned bomb threat Friday but found nothing out of the ordinary, officials said.
A manager at the Walmart Supercenter, 1827 Walnut Grove Ave., received a phone call just after 7 p.m. claiming a bomb had been placed in the store, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Lt. Ismael Chavez said.
Deputies searched the store and found nothing suspicious or unusual, the lieutenant said.
Officials sounded the all-clear about 8 p.m., and the store returned to normal operation.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

UPDATED: Fire scorches Rosemead apartment building

ROSEMEAD >> A fire broke out at a two-story apartment building in Rosemead Friday before being quickly extinguished by firefighters, officials said.
The fire was first reported at 2:11 p.m.. at an apartment building in the 3100 block of East Del Mar Avenue, near Whitmore Street, Los Angeles County Fire Department Inspector Randall Wright said.
Firefighters arrived on-scene in four minutes and found smoke rising from a second-floor apartment unit, Wright said.
Firefighters kept the blaze confined to the kitchen where it originated, fire Capt. Kent Chatfield said.
They doused the fire and declared it “knocked down” at 2:27 p.m., Wright added.
The apartment in which the fire ignited was left uninhabitable, Chatfield said. The other residents of the building were initially evacuated, but expected to be able to get back into their homes Friday afternoon.
No injuries were reported, and the cause of the fire was under investigation.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email

UPDATED: Suspected arrested after stand-off with deputies at Rosemead motel

ROSEMEAD >> Deputies engaged in a stand-off with a suspect at a Rosemead motel Wednesday, officials said.
The incident began shortly before 6 p.m. at the Royale Inne, 2618 North San Gabriel Blvd., Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Jose Carbajal said.
Few details were initially available regarding the stand-off, which continued more than two hours later. It was unclear how the incident began, or whether the suspect was believed to be armed.
The public was asked to avoid San Gabriel Boulevard between Fern and Garvey avenues as the stand-off continued Wednesday evening.

Facebook Twitter Reddit Tumblr Linkedin Email