EL MONTE >> Coroner’s officials Saturday identified a 61-year-old man found dead from an apparently self-inflicted gunshot wound after shooting and critically wounding another man in a neighborhood dispute.
Thanh Cao was pronounced dead shortly after 1:30 p.m. Friday after a SWAT team stormed into his home in the 11400 block of Elmcrest Street in El Monte, Los Angeles County Department of Coroner Lt. David Smith said.
An autopsy was pending to determine an officials cause of death, Police found Cao fatally shot in a room he was believed to have been in by himself, El Monte police Lt. Chris Williams said.
Officials said Cao shot a neighbor — described as a man in his 50s — multiple times about 7:30 a.m. Friday. Further information regarding the nature of the dispute that led to the shooting was not available.
The first police at the scene scooped up the wounded man, placed him in a police car and rushed him down the street to waiting paramedics, Williams said. He was hospitalized at a trauma center in critical condition.
Acting on witness reports that the shooter — later identified as Cao — had gone into a home, police ordered anyone inside to come out, Williams said. Two people emerged and told police that Cao had gone into a bedroom just before they heard a single gunshot.
A SWAT team surrounded Cao’s home and spent five hours trying to communicate with him before ultimately forcing their way in, William said. They then discovered Cao, fatally wounded.
A search of public records indicates Cao has lived in the home for 12 years, and in the neighborhood for more than 20 years.
Mourning family members gathered at the scene Friday declined to comment.
PICO RIVERA >> Deputies sought a group of attackers in a small SUV who shot and wounded another man in a residential neighborhood late Friday.
A 20-year-old suffered a single gunshot wound to his back in the 8 p.m. shooting at Calico Avenue and Ibsen Street, near the Pio Pico Elementary School and Playground, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Lt. Andrew Meyer said.
He was approached by four male attackers in an older-model, brown or gold, small SUV, similar to a GMC Jimmy, the lieutenant said.
The occupants of the SUV yelled out “Pico Nuevo,” the name of a local street gang — before opening fire with a small-caliber handgun, officials said. The SUV had chrome rims and a black roof rack. It was last seen eastbound on Ibsen Street.
The wounded man was conscious and speaking when taken to a hospital for treatment, Meyer said. An update on his condition was not available.
The shooting was being investigated by deputies from the sheriff’s Pico Rivera Station.
EL MONTE >> A SWAT team stormed an El Monte home Friday afternoon where a shooting suspect was holed-up and discovered him dead of a gunshot wound.
El Monte Police stopped short of calling the death a suicide, but said the suspect, described as a man in his 50s, was believed to be alone in a room when shot. No additional suspects were being sought.
The suspect allegedly shot another man at 7:27 a.m. in the 11400 block of Elmcrest Street.
The victim, also a man in his 50s, was hospitalized at a trauma center in critical condition, according to El Monte Police Lt. Chris Williams.
Police provided no details of what prompted the shooting but had described the confrontation as a neighborhood dispute.
Williams said the incident began with a report of “shots fired” and a “person hit”.
“Initial information was that a subject was shot, and a suspect was seen going into a neighboring house,” he said.
Officers found a man at the scene suffering from multiple gunshot wounds, Williams said. It was not clear how many times the man had been shot.
Officers placed the wounded man into a police car and rushed him down the street to paramedics, who were standing by near the crime scene as police searched for the shooter.
Police ordered anyone inside the home where the suspect was seen entering to come out, Williams said.
Two people exited, but neither was the suspect.
“One person told officers they heard a single gunshot in the room where the suspect was,” Williams said.
The relationship between the witnesses and the suspect was not immediately available.
Believing the armed shooting suspect may be barricaded inside the home, police summoned a SWAT team to the scene.
Six homes in the area were evacuated and Frank Wright School at 11317 McGirk Ave. was placed on lockdown as a precaution, officials said.
For five hours, officials tried unsuccessfully to speak with the suspect, including tossing a telephone into the home shortly after noon.
“After all attempts at communication failed, (SWAT) officers entered the residence a little after 1:30 p.m.,” Williams said. They then discovered the suspect fatally shot.
Family members of the dead man gathered at the scene but declined to comment.
Neighbor Daniel Chou, 29, said he did not hear the shooting and first learned something was going on when police swarmed the neighborhood.
At 9 a.m., Chou said police told him to stay in his home. A half-hour later, they returned and told him it was time to evacuate.
The school lockdown was lifted shortly before 2 p.m., and evacuated residents were allowed to return to their homes just after 2 p.m. as police continued investigating the shooting scene.
LA MIRADA — Homicide detectives are investigating the fatal shooting of a man in a residential neighborhood early Sunday.
The shooting was first reported just after 12:40 a.m. in the 13400 block of Bona Vista Lane, Deputy Mark Pope of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Headquarters Bureau said in a written statement.
“The victim was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead,” Pope said.
Deputies initially responded to a report of a shooting in which bullets penetrated a family’s home, Lt. Eric Smitson of the sheriff’s Norwalk Station said.
As deputies were talking to residents and checking the area for possible suspects, they were notified by Whittier police that a man had arrived at the emergency room of PIH Health Hospital in Whittier, Smitson said.
The man, whose identity was not available, died at the hospital a short time later, officials said. It was unclear who brought him to the hospital. Coroner’s officials described him as a man appearing to be in his 20s.
No information regarding the shooter or shooters was available.
Anyone with information was asked to contact the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500. Tips may also be submitted anonymously through L.A. Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.
EAST VALINDA — Deputies are seeking a gunman who shot and wounded two other men in a residential neighborhood Wednesday evening, officials said.
The shooting was reported about 8:15 p.m. in the 400 block of Lockmere Avenue in the unincorporated county area of East Valinda, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Lt. Raymond Enriquez said.
Three men in their 20s were walking along the street when a they were approached by a Latino man in his 20s with a shaved head driving a what was initially described as a Nissan Altima, the lieutenant said. Deputies received conflicting statements regarding the color of the car.
The attacker asked the group where they were from — a common gang challenge, officials said.
The victims, who are not believed to have gang ties, gave no response. But the gunman opened fire with a semi-automatic handgun.
One of the men was shot three times in the back and twice in the arm, Enriquez said. He was listed in stable condition after undergoing surgery.
A second victim was struck twice in the leg and has since been treated and released from the hospital, while the third victim in the group was not struck by the gunfire.
The investigation was being handled by detectives from the sheriff’s Industry Station.
BALDWIN PARK — A man died following a shooting in Baldwin Park late Saturday, however little information was available.
The shooting was reported about 7:30 p.m. in at Whitesell Street and Virginia Avenue, in a mixed residential and commercial neighborhood, Deputy Crystal Hernandez of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Headquarters Bureau said in a written statement.
Police received calls reporting both “shots fired” and a “man down” when they came upon the wounded man lying outdoors, Baldwin Park police Sgt. Joe Meister said.
No information regarding a possible suspect was available.
The victim, described initially only as a man, was taken to a hospital where he died from his wounds, Hernandez said.
No information regarding the circumstances of the shooting was released Sunday, and coroner’s officials were yet to identify the dead man.
PICO RIVERA — A man suffered was wounded in a shooting outside a funeral home during a Rosary service late Friday but refused to cooperate with investigators regarding the attack, officials said.
The shooting too place about 7:30 p.m. outside Funeraria del Angel – Morrow’s, 9107 East Washington Blvd., Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Dianna Woodward said.
Mourners were at the funeral home for a service for a person described as an associate of an out-of-town street gang, the sergeant said. She did not know how the person died.
“While inside, they heard approximately 10 to 15 gunshots from outside,” she said.
A 31-year-old man was found suffering from “at least one gunshot wound to his upper torso,” and was taken to a hospital where he was listed in stable condition, Woodward said.
“He refused to give us any information,” she said. Deputies found no witnesses to saw the shooting.
It was believed the shots were fired from a passing vehicle, however no further details were available.
WHITTIER — A man suffered a gunshot wound to his leg Saturday afternoon in what was initially believed to be an accidental shooting.
The incident was reported at 2:37 p.m. at a home in the 7600 block of Paul Driver, Whittier police Sgt. Jim De Masi said.
Few details were initially available, as wounded man — who had been shot in the thigh — did not appear to be cooperating with police, the sergeant said.
The wounded man was believed to be alone in a home when the shot was fired, he said.
AZUSA — One man is accused of attempted murder, and deputies are seeking at least two others following a drive-by shooting Wednesday in an unincorporated county area near Azusa, authorities said.
The shooting took place about 5 p.m. in the 6000 block of Factor Avenue, Los Angeles County sheriff’s
Lt. David Vega said.
A vehicle drove by containing three male attackers, Lt. Diana Gealta said.
Three shots were fired, striking an occupied home and a car parked out front, but injuring no one, Vega said.
Follow-up investigation led deputies to the area of Foothill Boulevard and Pasadena Avenue in Azusa about an hour later, where they spotted male suspect believed to be involved in the shooting, which investigators labeled gang-related, Vega said.
The suspect ran from deputies, along with several other people who were with him, officials said.
Deputies set up a search perimeter and ultimately found the suspect, Gealta said.
Danniel Reynoso, 19, of Azusa was booked on suspicion of attempted murder, according to sheriff’s officials and county booking records. He was being held in lieu of $1 million bail pending a scheduled arraignment Friday in West Covina Superior Court.
The two other attackers believed to have been involved in the drive-by shooting remained at-large, officials said.
The shooting was being investigated by deputies from the sheriff’s San Dimas Station.
MONTEREY PARK — Detectives continued seeking clues Thursday in the death of a A 51-year-old man who was found slain inside his Monterey Park bedroom.
Yanan Wang was found bleeding from the head just before 1 p.m. Wednesday inside his bedroom in a back house in the 700 block of Hellman Avenue, between New and Orange Avenues, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Lt. Dave Dolson said.
His landlord, who lives in the front house, discovered the man bleeding from the head and called 9-1-1, Monterey Park police Lt. Bill Cuevas said.
“He has a single gunshot wound to the head,” Cuevas said.
Police and Monterey Park Fire Department paramedics rushed to the scene, where Wang was pronounced dead, officials said.
An autopsy had not been carried out Thursday, Los Angeles County Department of Coroner Assistant Chief of Operations Ed Winter said.
Information regarding when Wang was last seen alive was not available.
Wang was believed to have rented a room in the back house for the past three months or so, Cuevas said. He lived alone.
No arrests had been made as of Thursday, and suspect description was available.
There were no signs the home had been broken into, Cuevas said.
Neighbors did not report hearing any gunshots or other commotion, investigators added.
An area resident who asked his name be withheld said he saw a large Chinese man he did not recognize leaving the property about 12:20 p.m. Saturday.
The man, who stood about 5 feet 8 inches tall and weighed about 180 pounds, carried a box and appeared to be in a hurry as he walked west along the sidewalk away from the home, the witness said.
Investigators said they had no information regarding any visitors to the home prior to the discovery of Wang’s body.
Sheriff’s homicide detectives, who are spearheading the investigation, couldn’t be reached for comment.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau at 323-890-5500.
PHOTO investigators search for clues by flashlight following the fatal shooting of a man at a home int he 700 block of East Hellman Avenue in Monterey Park on Wednesday, Jan. 8, 2014.