Diego Cacho-Sousa boots a 49-yard game winning field goal as time expires to beat Bishop Amat 24-23 pic.twitter.com/Fh2iMSZpYq
— Fred J. Robledo (@SGVNSports) September 24, 2016
MUST READ: Drake Beasley Jr. is described by his parents as a quiet kid who has become more quiet, if not withdrawn, in recent weeks.
Beasley Jr., a standout running back, is dealing with the reality he might not play his senior season at La Canada High School after being declared ineligible by the CIF Southern Section following his August transfer from Loyola.
After three years at the Los Angeles all-boys private school, Beasley Jr. had his transfer challenged by Loyola on grounds that it violated CIF’s undue influence bylaw.
The situation has taken a toll not only on Beasley Jr., but his parents, who are desperately trying to rectify the situation as their son’s appeal hearing with the CIF State office looms later this month.
1. Bishop Amat (2-1) — Two good wins since Mater Dei flop.
2. La Mirada (1-2) — Bad, not horrible vs. SJB and MD.
3. St. Francis (2-0) — Looking for double revenge vs. La Serna
4. Charter Oak (3-0) — Scary team still has upside.
5. La Habra (1-2) — Can use bounce-back win over Los Alamitos.
6. Los Altos (3-0) — Will get tested against Glendora.
7. Damien (3-0) — Sparty seeking to upset CO.
8. La Serna (2-1) — Excellent win over Mira Costa.
9. San Dimas (3-0) — Ground game is rolling (again).
10. Arcadia (2-0) — Barely got past Monrovia … hmmm.
11. La Salle (2-1) — Can get mojo back against Muir.
12. Northview (2-1) — Will be tested big time by Lugo.
13. Muir (2-0) — ‘Stangs face first big test vs. La Salle.
14. Diamond Ranch (2-1) — Edged Ayala to get back on track.
15. St. Paul (1-2) — Program needs to chill out.
16. Bonita (2-1) — Beat quality South Pas team.
17. Montebello (2-1) — Playing insane defense.
18. Glendora (1-2) — Been playing very good teams.
19. La Canada (2-1) — Hoping Beasley can win appeal.
20. Schurr (3-0) — Welcome back, Sparty!
21. South Pasadena (2-1) — Have to clean up the turnovers.
22. Arroyo (2-1) — Will be favored in every game rest of way.
23. Rowland (3-0) — Big test looms vs. Arroyo.
24. Pasadena Poly (2-0) — Always quality stuff.
25. South El Monte (3-0) — Coaching staff producing results.
Sometimes as a reporter, you ask something that triggers a certain response from a coach or player. Anyway, that’s exactly what happened when I asked La Mirada head coach Mike Moschetti how his team had come through playing O-Lu, St. Juan Bosco and Mater Dei, respectively and consecutively. And this is what I got.
“I’ve never been a guy who talks about injuries,” Moschetti said. “You know, you read about all these coaches across Southern California, they all whine about everything … how young they are and how ‘we got guys injured.’ Everybody’s young. Everybody’s hurt.
“I just get tired of reading it. It makes me sick. I just get tired of reading coaches make excuses about everything. Every coach in the world is young and hurt. Turn the page.”