Above: From left, offensive linemen Chris Cisneros, Nathan Rodriguez, Nofo Tii, Memo Monreal, Hugo Correa and Spencer Fox have helped lead La Mirada deep into the CIF-SS Southeast Division playoffs. (Keith Durflinger / Staff Photographer)
LA MIRADA – An offensive lineman’s world doesn’t change much.
It consists mainly of an imaginary three-yard box, and it doesn’t matter if the ball rests near the opponent’s goal line, on the 50 or inside his team’s own 10.
Success from this view comes from attitude and work ethic, and that’s what La Mirada High School’s starting front thrives on.
Quarterback Gerry Myres and running backs Johnny Hills and Andy Gramajo have received most of the glory for the Matadores, but the difference-makers have come up front where seniors Spencer Fox (6-foot-5, 265 pounds), Memo Monreal (6-0, 250) and Nathan Rodriguez (6-3, 260); juniors Hugo Correa (6-2, 245) and Chris Cisneros (6-2, 235) and sophomore Nofo Tii (6-2, 300) have paved the way for the Matadores’ rebirth from an 0-3 start to be within two games of the program’s second CIF-Southern Section Divisional title during the past three seasons.
“It’s a good group of kids,” said La Mirada coach Mike Moschetti, whose Matadores host top-seeded and 2010 champion West Covina at 7 p.m. on Friday in a Southeast Division semifinal. “They don’t speak two words, but they just show up and work. That’s who they are. They want to be the guys who show up and work and don’t want a lot of publicity.
“They’ve done well all year long. There was a concern going into the year about the offensive line. But the more you practice, the more you work, the better you are going to get. And they’ve jelled and gotten better. They are by no means a finished product. We made a ton of mistakes last week. But they are the type of kids who get into the film room and want to learn and get better.” Continue reading “Putting up a good front: La Mirada line lives up to tradition” »
The status of La Habra linebacker/running back Aaron Porter, who committed to UCLA
over the summer, hasn’t changed in the wake of UCLA firing coach Rick Neuheisel Monday.
The senior, considered one of the top linebackers in the CIF-Southern Section, still is on board with the Bruins.
“Nothing has changed,” La Habra coach Frank Mazzotta said. “He just wants to wait and see who they hire.”
Porter, who rushed for 141 yards and made nine tackles in the Highlanders’ 28-21 victory over Brea Olinda on Friday, will lead La Habra (9-3) in the Southwest Division semifinals when it hosts El Toro (11-1) at 7 p.m.
The Highlanders are seeking the school’s fifth consecutive CIF-SS title and seventh overall.
The list of area football coaching openings continues to grow.
Walter Scott, Whittier High School’s coach the past 18 seasons, has resigned from that position, the school’s assistant principal Juan Anzaldo confirmed Tuesday.
Scott, who graduated from Whittier, was 61-121-2 in a tenure that goes back to the early 1990s. His Cardinals, who were 0-10 in 2010, were 5-5 this season. They finished fourth in the Del Rio League with a 2-3 record.
“He’s been associated with Whittier the past 23 years,” Anzaldo said. “This is my first year (here) and he told me when I came aboard that this was likely his last season.
“He was excellent and always did a great job. He’s very knowledgable and his athletes had no problems and always had the highest (grade-point average) at the school. He developed a great team of coaches and the teachers really like him.
“He left the program in good hands. Most of our players were juniors this year and we should return 85 percent of the team.”
Anzaldo said the school is expecting to fill the position by January.
“We’re looking for a coach with previous head coaching experience or one who is a defensive or offensive coordinator from a powerhouse school with a consistent winning record,” he said. “We’ve already had 40 (applicants).”
Calls to Scott were not returned.