Citrus Belt League MVP Tristan Workman pitches against Carter. (Photo by Frank Perez for SCNG)
He tried to get back into the football game last week, but it looks like he’ll be back in this week.
Redlands East Valley High School standout defensive end/linebacker Jaelan Phillips, a UCLA commit, broke his hand early in the second half of last week’s 38-32 win over Cajon and tried to go back in.
“It was friendly fire, a helmet on his hand,” REV coach Kurt Bruich said. “He wanted to come back in, but they (medical staff) wouldn’t let him.”
Phillips, who lines up at several different spots on the field, would leave a hole if he wasn’t able to play.
“He has a backup, so we’d plug him in,” Bruick said. “It does eliminate some of the defenses we run, because of what Jaelan is able to do. But, if I was a betting man, I’d say he’s going to play.”
Bruich said that before practice. By the end of the day, he indicated that Phillips will play this week against Citrus Valley and Phillips sent out pictures on social media of his cast on his right hand.
Redlands East Valley senior quarterback Armando Herrera is closing on two major career milestones, one he could easily get this week, and one that might take him another week to achieve.
He needs just two touchdown passes for 100 in his career, while he also sits at 334 yards short of 10,000 passing yards for his career. He averages more than two touchdown passes a game this season and 274 yards passing per game.
It is believed Herrera already holds the San Bernardino County career records in both categories and also sits fifth all-time in CIF Southern Section history in both categories, according to the CIF-SS record book.
High school athletes from the CIF Southern Section will jump into the pool throughout the week at Riverside City College for the 2016 swim finals.
On the Division 2 girls side, Ayala’s Kenisha Liu and Redlands’ Melissa Pepper return with the hope of capping off their high school careers on top.
- Isaiah Davis, Carter – Fresno State
- Brett Vansant, Redlands East Valley – Western Kentucky
- Reggie Lawson, Victor Valley – Arizona State
- Kayla Washington, Cajon – Washington State
- Pamala Baber, Carter – Texas-El Paso
- Marissa Jauregui, Grand Terrace – UC Davis
- Danielle Rico, Grand Terrace – Eastern Michigan
- Jocelyn Betancourt, Grand Terrace – Cal St. Bakersfield
- Melanie Olmos, Grand Terrace – Oklahoma
- Riley Plogger, Redlands East Valley – Utah State
- Stephanie Ruelas, Redlands East Valley – Concordia
- Mallory Cross, Yucaipa – Texas-El Paso
- Kayla Martin, Yucaipa – Kansas Wesleyan
- Kelly Martinez, Yucaipa – Utah
Zoe Richard, Citrus Valley – Cal State Fullerton
Olivia Olvera, Citrus Valley – La Sierra
- Emily Longfellow, Redlands East Valley -University of Houston
Melissa Pepper, Redlands – West Virginia
Nicole Proctor, Redlands – UC Santa Barbara
- Janell Walley, Yucaipa – Boise State
- Alisha Edwards, Redlands HS – UCLA