Bleacher Report’s Media Lab commissioned 10 artists from around the world to create the original, interactive artworks in a digital gallery that commemorate David Beckham’s legacy on and off the field.
Where’s your video Mr. Zardes?
BTW: It’s more important to donate than take the challenge. Please do so here.
Former Galaxy midfielder David Beckham may be retired from the soccer field, but he’s still modeling what H&M refers to as “bodyware” in a new spot that will air Sunday during the Super Bowl.
Fans are being asked to vote on what version of the stunt-laden ad (and, yes, I’m told that no body doubles were used) will air. Voting began today here and ends at at midnight Saturday.
A few quick links as the MLS playoffs begin tonight:
- MLS has unveiled the complete playoff schedule.
- Former Galaxy coach Sigi Schmid and the Sounders ownership group are downplaying the pressure their coach is under as Seattle meets the Colorado Rapids tonight.
- David Beckham is inching closer to an MLS franchise in Miami.
- Surprise, surprise Real Salt Lake is focusing on stopping Landon Donovan and Robbie Keane Sunday in Carson.
Today’s not unexpected news that former Galaxy midfielder David Beckham will retire at the end of the European season, elicited these responses today from the Galaxy:
“The LA Galaxy would like to congratulate David Beckham on the completion of his 20-year career in the sport of soccer,” Galaxy President Chris Klein said. “His six seasons with the Galaxy saw the club reach unprecedented heights, highlighted by our back-to-back MLS Cup championships in 2011 and 2012. David was a tremendous ambassador for our club and our league and it was an incredible honor in having him wear the Galaxy colors. We join the world in celebrating all of his achievements in the sport and look forward to continuing his relationship with our club.”
“Today is a day to celebrate David Beckham and the completion of his fabulous career,” said coach Bruce Arena. “In addition to being such a great player, David is also a great personality, a great teammate, a great friend and family man. He is a person that you cannot replace, on the field or off and our club is in a better position for having him play for us in the six years that he did.”
Check out highlights of his Galaxy career on YouTube here.
Much locally has been written about the sudden departure of AEG’s Tim Leiweke, but nothing substantive in the media from a soccer perspective until today’s column.
Love or revile Leiweke — and there’s little middle ground — there’s no doubt the hard-charging former Galaxy executive has made an indeliable mark on the local soccer landscape.
While we’re at it, here’s a fan perspective.
*David Beckham’s first game since leaving the Galaxy was an eventful one this weekend.
*Chivas USA closed out their preseason Saturday with an emphatic win over the LA Blues. Watch here.
*Did you see Lawndale’s Kei Kamara score his first EPL goal Saturday? Watch here.
*And if you missed how the Galaxy concluded their pre-season Friday in Santa Barbara, watch the highlights here.
MLS starts Saturday. I’ll have more in Tuesday’s column.
- Brand Beckham’s latest public relations move, er, club move sees him head to petro-dollar backed Paris Saint Germain where he will play for free through June in hopes of clinching a multimillion dolllar ambassador role for the World Cup in Qatar (well, that’s my guess).
- Here’s the reaction of Lawndale’s Kei Kamara to joining EPL club Norwich City.
- Here’s how Chivas USA fared Wednesday in their second preseason scrimmage.
- Chivas USA forward Bradford Jamieson of Los Angeles will join the U.S. U-17 team for a camp in Carson that includes a scrimmage Friday against the Galaxy. Full roster here.
*LONDON (AP) — David Beckham is training with Arsenal as he considers his playing future.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says the former England captain called to ask if he could work on his fitness at the club’s training base outside London.
Beckham is without a club after leaving the Galaxy at the end
of a six-year stint in MLS..
Wenger stressed Tuesday that Beckham is only training with Arsenal and will not be signing with the club.
The 37-year-old Beckham, a former Manchester United star, is mulling offers from clubs around the world.
*Galaxy defender Omar Gonzalez is getting his third U.S. cap tonight as the 6 p.m. game against Canada on ESPN2 gets under way.
*Former Chivas USA coach Robin Fraser has reportedly surfaced with Red Bull New York.
*The Galaxy announced Monday that former player Chris Klein will head up the Galaxy’s front office as club president, which may be a different title, but is essentially the same job as the one the fired Tom Payne used to hold.
*FC Santa Clarita storm provides the opposition for Chivas USA’s second preseason scrimmage set for 11 a.m. on field 6 at Home Depot Center. Fans are welcome to attend.
*Seven organizations in Southern California have received more than $130,000 in U.S. Soccer Foundation grants including the cities of Manhattan Beach, El Monte and the El Rancho Unified School District.
- You didn’t believe that claim by David Beckham he was in search of one last soccer challenge after leaving the Galaxy did you? Let’s face it, if he goes to China as rumored until the end of the season his biggest challenge will be selling enough replica jerseys regardless of what he does on the field.
- In more modest transfer news, another former Galaxy midfielder has rejoined a former club.
- Meanwhile, a slice of U.S. soccer history plays out on live on television this weekend, when for the first time ever Fox (the main network, not the soccer channel) airs a 9 a.m. Saturday third round FA Cup tie between Manchester United and West Ham United. From Fox: Over the last two seasons, FOX Sports has aired a combination of nine live and encore world-class matches from the English Premier League and UEFA Champions League in the U.S, averaging 1.5 million viewers each. The match on Jan. 5 marks the sixth time Manchester United and its star-studded offense, anchored by Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie, have played on FOX in the last two years. Throughout the 2012-13 season, FOX Soccer and its premium network, FOX Soccer Plus, are home to more than 50 FA Cup matches as the exclusive U.S. rights holders.